Prefolds and uncircumcised boys - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-14-2013, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I don't know if this question is best asked here or in intact care, I apologize if I chose poorly smile.gif

My policy with the 3 girls before my 6 week old son, was to get the prefolds snug, to stop leaks as much as possible. I've noticed that when I angel wing fold, sometimes the hole of his foreskin is a little pulled back and more open. I assume from the rubbing of the diapers, this doesn't happen when he pees diaper-less (It goes back to completely covering everything on it's own by the next diaper change). This never happens with my fitteds or any other diapers. So I've resorted to using a really loose bikini twist fold, which does not affect the opening of his foreskin, but it's obviously not very good for containing messes.

Am I overreacting about having the diapers loose? Is this just what happens with uncirced babies? Im a little new to these baby parts :P

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#2 of 14 Old 10-15-2013, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I always used a bikini twist on my tiny boys.  I never really noticed that there was any stretching of the foreskin- I would certainly think that would be a bit uncomfortable... 

#3 of 14 Old 10-15-2013, 09:22 AM

I noticed the tip of my (uncirc'ed) son's penis looks red..maybe that's what's going on. But the diapers leak as it is, I hate to see what would happen if I started wrapping more loosely. :-/

#4 of 14 Old 10-15-2013, 10:04 AM

What sort of leaking are you dealing with?

#5 of 14 Old 10-16-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowAsylum View Post

What sort of leaking are you dealing with?

Pee leaking on one side and getting the cover/his clothes wet.

#6 of 14 Old 10-16-2013, 10:12 AM

The cover will usually get wet, but it should contain it- most covers are gussetted to help with that.  then you just wipe it dry or rinse and hang dry. If it is getting through the cover to the clothes, you may want to check the fit on the covers.  Prefolds won't hold more than one pee, some fitteds will. 

I am sure you know all of this, just rambling through my thought process. 

#7 of 14 Old 10-18-2013, 06:46 PM

My 7.5 year old is still in diapers (Motherease BedWetter pants) at night time.  He is un-circ'ed, and he said that the wet cloth rubs and hurts his penis.  :(  So usually he wants to use GoodNites instead.  Hope that sheds some light on the issue.  I try to use fleece over prefolds for my uncirc'ed 9 mo. old because of this.

#8 of 14 Old 10-18-2013, 11:12 PM

I use the jelly roll fold and didn't have any issues with it irritating DS.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#9 of 14 Old 10-19-2013, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowAsylum View Post

The cover will usually get wet, but it should contain it- most covers are gussetted to help with that.  then you just wipe it dry or rinse and hang dry. If it is getting through the cover to the clothes, you may want to check the fit on the covers.  Prefolds won't hold more than one pee, some fitteds will. 

I am sure you know all of this, just rambling through my thought process. 

Good to know. I thought I was doing something wrong.

#10 of 14 Old 10-20-2013, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by somegirl99 View Post

I use the jelly roll fold and didn't have any issues with it irritating DS.

This is the issue isn't it? I don't think it's irritating him, per say, it's just making his foreskin retract a little bit sometimes. And isn't that okay, if it's what his penis is doing? It does all kinds of crazy things after being in diapers. It looks different every time I take one off, you know? If it's (his foreskin) job is to protect the sensitive tissue underneath, it's certainly doing that by the look of it after being smushed up in wet diapers. And if all foreskins retract in their own time, little by little, through friction from clothes and his handling of his penis, then diapers rubbing against it would fall into that category, right? It doesn't seem to hurt him at all. It's good motivation for me get quit procrastinating with EC though smile.gif

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#11 of 14 Old 10-27-2013, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
This is kinda going on with my DS too! Its very frustrating. Except my LO whole private area was all red, it seemed to start with the foreskin tho. The bikini twist is successful at keeping the redness away but our PFs are just too small to consistantly use the twist. I don't get it! I used PFs on my other DS who is circ'd and we never had this issue. What is the deal??? I'm currently laying a hemp fleece doubler in there to kinda protect him from the PF. I REALLY hope we don't have this issue with flats, I just ordered some from GMD and now I'm so worried I wasted more money on CDs that are just going to bother DS.

I'm just at such a loss. I cannot understand. I was really looking forward to using mostly PFs....

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#12 of 14 Old 10-28-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LilChunklins View Post

This is kinda going on with my DS too! Its very frustrating. Except my LO whole private area was all red, it seemed to start with the foreskin tho. The bikini twist is successful at keeping the redness away but our PFs are just too small to consistantly use the twist. I don't get it! I used PFs on my other DS who is circ'd and we never had this issue. What is the deal??? I'm currently laying a hemp fleece doubler in there to kinda protect him from the PF. I REALLY hope we don't have this issue with flats, I just ordered some from GMD and now I'm so worried I wasted more money on CDs that are just going to bother DS.

I'm just at such a loss. I cannot understand. I was really looking forward to using mostly PFs....

Maybe try stripping your prefolds? It sounds like maybe they are just generally irritating his skin when they touch it. Or switching detergents?

#13 of 14 Old 10-28-2013, 07:49 PM

Well these PFs are only 2 weeks old,and I use the same detergent on all his CDs but none of the others bother him at all. I'm guessing its something about the twill... I bought some ecover softener, so we'll see if that helps, but I think I'm going to try dryer balls too.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

#14 of 14 Old 10-29-2013, 01:12 PM

The ecover seems to have done the trick! Just use half a capful and an extra rinse. Maybe it will help your LO too, idk but its worth a try!

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page