lanolin allergy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-20-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS has developed a pretty itchy and severe rash over the past couple of weeks.  It is primarily on his legs, but also on his arms and a little on his torso as well.  I've been wracking my brain to try and figure out what we've done differently that may have caused this.

Recently I ran out of Lanisoh in the middle of lanolizing one day and picked up some store brand lanolin to finish doing his longies.  We have been using wool for almost a year and have never had a problem before.  Is it possible that DS is allergic to some brands of lanolin and not others?  I've been doing some internet research and it seems that Lanisoh claims that due to the level of processing/purification that it is hypoallergenic.  So, maybe the store brand isn't?  I'm grasping at straws here!  And then of course I've been putting lotion on his legs which probably contains lanolin as well...

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions?  We love our wool and I really don't want to give it up.  Can I strip the lanolin out of the woolies and re-lanolize with Lanisoh or another recommended brand?  Please help!

#2 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 07:28 AM

Hmmm....Maybe bumping this up will get you some answers

bfinfant.gifbreastfeedingfemalesling.GIF baby-wearing familybed1.gif bed-sharing greenthumb.gif herb growing/using nocirc.gif no circ'ing  lady.gif Mama 

bikenew.gif6-25-2006goodvibes.gif11.29.2008dust.gif7-6-2010babyf.gif10-3-2012 belly.gifcraving #5 ALREADY 

#3 of 5 Old 01-13-2014, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Lotion contains all kinds of things he could be allergic to. I can't use any kind of lotion especially the "natural" ones because my littlest one was allergic to coconut oil...I knew something in our diet was still bothering him, but when he broke out all over minutes after I applied coconut oil to his skin, that was definitive. I basically can't put anything made of a nut or seed on his skin, or in his body. My older kids broke out in massive rashes one time when I put Epsom Salts and a touch of Baby Oil in their bath. It was the fragrance in the baby oil. Never again.

So I would try stopping all lotions and creams, and just use water to wash him, so that his skin isn't being dried out, and see what happens from there. If it persists, look into food allergies. Of course, it could actually be allergy to lanolin itself. Anything's possible. My kid can't have palm oil or coconut oil or olive oil, either eaten, or applied topically, so the old ideas about what people could or couldn't react to, are out the window.

Best wishes from a veteran food allergy/topical allergy/chemical sensitivity mom.

ribbongreen.gif For Cricketschirping, with 3 homeschool.gif kids, , babygirl.gifribboncesarean.gif  babyboy.gifhbac.gif  babyboy.gifhbac.gif and planning another babyboy.gifhbac.gif

pos.gif5++++10++++15++++20+2ndtri.gif++25++++30++++35++++(++stork-boy.gif

#4 of 5 Old 01-30-2014, 11:29 AM

YES. I am allergic to lanolin & wool, but can use that Lanishohl brand.
#5 of 5 Old 01-30-2014, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

I did strip the woolies and switch back to the Lansinoh and haven't had any more problems.  We don't use any lotions and only occasionally use coconut oil.  So far this seems to be working, but it's clear we're dealing with sensitive skin here!

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page