HE Top Loader Recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-21-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I am FTM pregnant and planning on cloth diapering. I know we are going to need a new washer because our 12 yr old one barely cuts it now (rinsing especially, which I know is the most important part of CD cleaning). 

I have eliminated front load washers from our list for several reasons (lack of space for us, seem to be hardest to CD with.....) 

Looking at the top loaders, the HE non agitators sure seem nice (if they work). We wash a lot of large items and to have more room with no destructive agitator would be awesome.  

In doing research I know we need to have the ability to do individual rinse and soak cycles along with being able to set my own water levels if needed. 

Does anyone have any model recommendations? Any reason I should go back to looking at top loaders with agitators? 

Thank you in advance! So tired of looking at reviews that contradict each other my head is spinning. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-21-2013, 12:51 PM

I bought a Kenmore Elite HE top loader recently.  It's nice because it's huge (~4.7cf) and can wash big/bulky items.  I love it for everything but it's not ideal for diapers.  After I bought it I found out you're not supposed to wash any waterproof or water-resistant items in it (oops! I wash my covers anyway and it hasn't exploded, but you should ask about this before you buy a washer!) and my washer easily gets unbalanced with just pre-folds, covers & wipes in it since there's no agitator.  If I'd go back in time, I'd get a smaller washer & check about waterproof items & balanced load issues.  Good luck!

#3 of 7 Old 10-22-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips! 

#4 of 7 Old 11-07-2013, 07:54 AM

Our Maytag Bravos HE is a top loader and comes in several sizes/levels.  It has a bulky bedding setting that adds more water, but you can also add a towel or two to the wash to trick any HE machine into adding more water.  I still prefer old school agitator washers because they remove all of the guess work. 

#5 of 7 Old 11-07-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Indigo....I am still going back and forth between agitator or not. Since we likely will only have one maybe two children, I am starting to lean towards agitator and if they wear on the diapers more so be it. If I can find a larger capacity standard machine that will make it easier for cleaning bedding and larger items I might go that way. Watching sales now, we have a few months luckily.

Thanks again! 

#6 of 7 Old 11-08-2013, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I have a Samsung which I bought because it was a top recommendation on Consumer Reports at the time I was researching a new washer.  It has a sanitize cycle, and I have really liked it.  Much less finicky than the Whirlpool Duet frontloader that I replaced.

#7 of 7 Old 11-10-2013, 07:32 PM

We have a Fischer & Paykel top loader HE, it works great. We have the option to turn off the HE (and use more water) which is helpful for diaper washing.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

Tags
Diapering

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page