Help!!! New to this... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-23-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am new to cloth diapering and I'm trying to figure out what to buy. I have a chunky 9 month old girl. She is 22lbs. I have no clue what brand or combination to go with. There are just so many options out there. Help please!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-24-2013, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Welcome, welcome!!!

It's been a while since I was a diapering mama, but I am going to give your post a bump so someone is sure to see it!! Thanks for your patience!!

#3 of 12 Old 10-24-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you!
#4 of 12 Old 10-24-2013, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have one baby.  I am technically a user of both cloth and disposables believing both have their place and perks.  However, I'd say cloth diapering is used more often.

I have used nothing but prefolds and flats and have not yet felt compelled to try anything fancier.  These are a bit more work than any of the fancier cloth diapering options, but not that much according to friends.

What I like best about these is they are very up for customization.  In your case, I would recommend Diaper Rite prefolds as I find them wider.  Thristies covers are adjustable, again making it possible to fit pretty much any baby (they come in two sizes).

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
#5 of 12 Old 10-25-2013, 12:00 PM

I love prefolds and covers (especially wool) for younger babies, but as they get more mobile, you may want to switch to something that is quicker to put on.  We do EC so for us at that point we switch to training pants.

The different types of diapers have different strengths and weaknesses, and it's hard to recommend one without knowing more.   If you can find a package/bundle that lets you try a bunch of different things, then you will have a better idea what works for you and your baby.  Or if you can be a bit more specific about your needs that will help narrow it down.  Concerned about laundry? About grandparents/daycare being able to use them?  Absorbency for nighttime? etc...

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#6 of 12 Old 10-26-2013, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
To be simple- I use pre folds and many different brands of covers but Flip brand with snaps is my fave. It is adjustable, maybe wouldnt be ideal with tiny newborn but i bet would fit your baby now to toddlerhood. One thing to try- get the pre folds, and order a few diff covers, then later a few more of the ones you love. You can use a "snappi" to hold pre-folds in place (like, instead of pins) but covers these days are good enough you don't have to use anything.

The pre fold- cover combo is the most flexible and universal option, IMO. And actually parents/ grandparents are often familiar with it b/c it's not too diff than what they used to do-- just much better covers and washing machines now!

I think snaps hold up better than Velcro and wash better (don't get all stuck to everything/ each other). Velcro is faster tho.

I have ?6-8 covers, 3 doz pre folds and do 1 load every other day.

We got some All-in-ones as hand me downs, and they were nice, would be good if you had a child care person who didn't like cloth. But they are $$$ and washing is sometimes an issue, IMO

A great resource is greenmountaindiapers.com, it's where I buy my stuff from but it is also just a great reference.
#7 of 12 Old 10-27-2013, 07:16 PM

I second checking out green mountain diapers.  TONS of information.  Lots of pictures.

#8 of 12 Old 10-28-2013, 08:08 AM

I suggest going to once upon a child or the punkin patch and purchase different types of used diapers. That way you can experiment in an affordable way and find the style that works best for you. We use a diaper service (pre-folds with a snappy) to avoid washing ourselves. This has been a great option for us. However the downsides are night time leaks (we shifted to disposables at night), and on the occasions we use childcare, (even other AP moms who cloth diaper) are reluctant to actually use the pre-folds. I find them okay, most people I believe like the all in ones.

#9 of 12 Old 10-28-2013, 08:34 AM

My situation is a bit different as I have a 3 month old but for us, prefolds (Osocozy brand) and Thirsties covers work great!

#10 of 12 Old 10-28-2013, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Agree about the used diapers to check it out- BUT if you get one that is wicking/ leaking, it is likely b/c it is old not b/c of the brand. But it is good for figuring out how to use them.
cecone likes this.
#11 of 12 Old 10-28-2013, 02:45 PM

I suggest going to once upon a child or the punkin patch and purchase different types of used diapers. That way you can experiment in an affordable way and find the style that works best for you. We use a diaper service (pre-folds with a snappy) to avoid washing ourselves. This has been a great option for us. However the downsides are night time leaks (we shifted to disposables at night), and on the occasions we use childcare, (even other AP moms who cloth diaper) are reluctant to actually use the pre-folds. I find them okay, most people I believe like the all in ones.

#12 of 12 Old 10-28-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecone View Post

I love the concept of the AIOs, I just don't want to pay for them.  But if you do have the money, I think they would be great.  A friend of mine bought some specifically for babysitters.

But I do like prefolds. If you give them a chance...

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom

Tags
Diapering

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page