Rash from Cloth Diapers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-03-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DD has been in Bambo disposables for a month now, waiting to hit 12lbs before trying a cloth diaper sample set from a local store. I spent the weekend stripping the washing machine and prepping the new dipes. She spent 24hrs in them and immediately got a rash. Bah! 

I am trying to eliminate any big obvious causes, but also feeling pretty annoyed.

Here are the common issues I think I addressed, but let me know if I am missing any big things:

1. Began using charlie's soap for all my laundry after stripping the machine

2. Prepped dipes by washing and drying 5 times

3. Using Kissaluvs lotion potion since she was born, which adresed her first rash when she was a newborn and has worked well since (until trying cloth). 

4. Changing after every nap and before each BF session, which is roughly once every 1.5 hrs. 

5. The only synthetic component of the dipes is PUL covers-- the rest of the materials are organic hemp, bamboo, and cotton. Styles we are trying include prefolds, pocket, AIO, and a hybrid style. 

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#2 of 6 Old 11-03-2013, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Are you rinsing the diapers in anything, like vinegar?  Could she possibly be having a reaction to the soap?  Hopefully some others will have some ideas for you.

#3 of 6 Old 11-04-2013, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

My DS definitely has a reaction to PUL, but we discovered that only after he was in a PUL cover all night.  Now he's fine in PUL for a couple hours at a time.

It is definitely possible that your DD is allergic to the Charlie's.  You could try stripping the diapers again and using a different detergent.  Is your water hot enough to do a proper stripping?  I've read that some people turn their water heater up when washing dipes.  Maybe she is allergic to hemp/bamboo?  You could try going with just the cotton for awhile?  Was it an all over rash?  Could it be an allergy to something you're eating (that's assuming you're EBF)?  Just throwing out ideas here.

#4 of 6 Old 11-04-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas! The rash was just in the creases of her tush and thighs, so to me, very obviously a wet/friction issue. 

If she was allergic to the soap, I'd think it'd be a whole body rash, probably. Maybe not as severe as the wet area, but some reaction, since it's been our exclusive soap for laundry since last week. 

We let the rash heal for a day with disposables, and then tried cloth again last night. 

We have ONE wool cover, which she wore last night with a cotton/hemp blend pre fold and so far, no rash. I will be avoiding PUL all day, and see what happens. It may be the breathability of wool that saves the day. :) 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#5 of 6 Old 11-04-2013, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Wool is awesome!  We do primarily wool since DS had the reaction with PUL.  I love it!  Hopefully it will work for you.

#6 of 6 Old 11-06-2013, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

So I decided to give up on cloth diapers. Trouble shooting this and other problems just keeps feeling like trying to reinvent the wheel, especially when I found sposies that don't cause any issues for us.

Thanks for the ideas though.

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page