Need new diapers for super sensitive baby, cotton , minimal elastic fitted???? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 11-16-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got MEOS organic cotton, they worked ok but as my baby has started moving her legs, the rubbing it causing issues. It always has been really , the elastic is like a wall of synthetic that I overlooked when thinking about explosive poops while pregnant. Not enough airflow i think. So now that I've discovered the blind spot, I need to try and sell these, not sure what price or how to do that besides Craigslist right now. I was considering GMD workhorse& know it has less elastic. I am prepping a large to see if it will fit my almost 14lber, though i worry it's a tighter feeling elastic. I know i probably need to learn flats&prefold but i feel like I'm not ready. I don't know what to do. I know it could be something else thats irritating her too, maybe I'll try a new detergent but we did ok with this detergent before. Our salve routine has changed too but as she has these marks on her everything looks different. Maybe i should try a stay dry topper but i don't like the idea of it too much except silk for overnight. Her bottom is so rough i need a quick fix.
#2 of 23 Old 11-16-2013, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
You really should try prefolds, once you get the hang of it, which only takes a couple days, they are a piece of cake! I wished I hadn't waited so long to try them.

You can try selling your diapers on disperswappers or eBay too ; )

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#3 of 23 Old 11-17-2013, 03:06 PM

It could be the outside layer too - what kind of covers are you using?

If you want to try a stay-dry layer that is easy, pick up some fleece at a fabric store and cut to cover the diaper where it touches her. Inexpensive so you won't have spent much if it doesn't work out. Just make sure it's 100% polyester fleece as that will pull moisture away from skin, if it has cotton in the fabric it will absorb moisture and keep it there instead.

#4 of 23 Old 11-18-2013, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

If it is the wrap that's causing the problem, have you thought of trying a wool nappy cover instead of PUL? It's so much gentler, and never leaves any marks. You could also use terry squares instead of fitted elasticated nappies. I actually love terry squares, especially bamboo ones - better than anything else - they wash superbly, dry quickly, and you always get a good fit, and contrary to popular belief, once you've done a few, they are simple to fold and put on.

#5 of 23 Old 11-18-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

I am using wool. I rotate between 3. That's another thing, my wool doesn't fit well over the diaper because its folded down but for now it doesnt get wet there. And i think lots of rubbing goes on because she cant move her legs all the way. Won't my wool get more soiled if i use prefolds? Prefolds intimidate me unless i do trifold, laying them in. I could try to plan around poop, &we are catching 85%poop in the potty smile.gif. But still, for those days, i fear i will run out of wool. Do snappy prefold work better under wool shorts?
Polyester might work but i don't want to try that yet. It's like elastic to me but who knows?

What price do i sell my diapers for?????i have no clue. They are minimally stained, I've never sunned them. They don't smell. A few have bleach stain from washer dispenser accident. Do i just deduct a certain amount from new price, like 50$off or more like 100$??

I am using 3x the amount of barrier creme now with a zinc one on top, its so sticky . Is that a normal amount to regulary need? I think she looks better but still so pink.
#6 of 23 Old 11-18-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Oh &i worry about bamboo too , just b/c I'm sensitive to anything not 100%breathable so i figure shes the same...? Maybe the stay dry effect is what we need though. I hope i figure this out soon, considering i have YEARS to go.
#7 of 23 Old 11-18-2013, 02:31 PM

The prefolds hold poop in, just use a snappi or boingo, to get it nice and snug, before pulling the wool on. You should really give it a try before you decide that you can't do it. Your already CDing, you can do it!
Cottonbabies.com has free shipping, and is pretty reasonabley priced, you could get 3 or 4 prefolds and either a snappi or boingo for under 10 bucks just to see if it will work for you. If you do feel the prefold love, then get some more from GMD or diaperjunction

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

#8 of 23 Old 11-18-2013, 02:33 PM

And as for the stay dry feel, u can just get a cheap fleece blanket or yard of fleece and cut it up into liners

#9 of 23 Old 11-18-2013, 04:02 PM

I agree you should try the prefolds. If your DD's poop is pretty solid and you're getting 85% in the potty I'd say your wool had a good chance of not getting soiled any more than with fitteds.

I suggest checking out the marketplace forum on diaperswappers.com. If you read through some posts there that will give you an idea of how others list and price their diapers.
#10 of 23 Old 11-18-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Poop is not solid, shes only 4 months &i plan to breastfeed as long as possible. Usually one poop a day is pretty big getting up to the elastic in back, guess thats why they made them that way.

I am going to try my snappy with my one red edge prefold, I'll be brave, i want to see poop on it so i can know.
#11 of 23 Old 11-18-2013, 07:17 PM

That a girl! I think no matter what diaper system your using, there will be blow outs from time to time...
I know you were originally looking for recommendations on fitteds... I've never used them, sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I just couldn't understand paying that much for just a diaper that still needed a cover when I could get an aio or pocket for the same price... idk that's my logic on that one...

My baby is so chunky, I love PFs because I can make sure he gets a good snug fit without it being overly tight and leaving the dreaded red marks.

Let us know how it worked for u, also whatever happened with the large GMD you were gonna try?

#12 of 23 Old 11-20-2013, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

I think.i need to try only prefolds to rule out the elastic issue. I'm so tired of this rash. It never goes away completely greensad.gif i wash everyday &go thru more than 24diapers. I am trying to have the prefold be her sleeping diaper for now at least. I'm considering grovia magic stick or SOMETHING ! Go away rash greensad.gif
#13 of 23 Old 11-20-2013, 10:18 PM

Are you letting her bottom completely air dry before putting a new diaper on?  

#14 of 23 Old 11-20-2013, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

I try so hard, but sooo many diaper changes, i have literally nothhing else. I think i spend 4-5 hours a day. &sometimes as soon as i put on the new one she pees, so i remove right away.it's so overwhrmling thinking of everything it could be. I heard some babies just have rashes all the time?
#15 of 23 Old 11-20-2013, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

I also was told airing out only pee diapers might be ok b/c wiping with water too often has its own issues. Maybe at least while pee is not stinky? i like to wipe off everytime but i dont know whats best.
#16 of 23 Old 11-20-2013, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

I tried blowdrying too.
#17 of 23 Old 11-21-2013, 05:07 AM

Aww poor baby! Is the rash just where the elastic is? Or front private area? butt area? Coconut oil is good at every change if your baby is prone to rashes, but IME it doesn't actually cure rash. So maybe start using that in the future once you get this cleared up. As far as treatment, I've had better luck using homemade fleece liners to protect the diapers, and regular diaper rash cream from the store, my 2 favorites are aquaphor and triple paste.

#18 of 23 Old 11-21-2013, 07:07 AM

I wipe every time. I figure it makes sense, I wipe myself each time I pee too, plus for a baby since the pee is on the diaper it touches a much larger area of their bum. What I do is spray the wipes with water when I'm about to use them - I spray half of it and leave the other half dry, that way I clean with one side and then flip it over and dry with the other side.

Are you able to give her bum air time? Just whenever she's doing tummy time or hanging out on the floor anyway.

You mentioned you are using diaper cream, is it going directly on the diapers or are you using something in between baby and diaper in this case? How are you washing and drying the diapers?

#19 of 23 Old 11-22-2013, 12:00 PM

Have you considered a temporary switch to disposable diapers? I know it seems counter-intuitive. I had a niece with many of the same issues you are mentioning. They tried all sorts of creams, diapers, fabrics, methods, etc. and nothing worked. However, regular 'ol Huggies disposable diapers worked out fabulously. It may be worth a try.
#20 of 23 Old 11-22-2013, 04:11 PM

I would suggest trying prefolds, they wash out easier, have no elastic, and you customize the fit to your baby.  They are easy to use with a snappi.  Even if you end up not liking putting them on her, they are great for laying baby on for diaper-free time which will help her bottom.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#21 of 23 Old 11-25-2013, 05:27 PM

I'm gonna throw out some less-common advice that I wished I had found sooner when I was trying to find the source for my CD-ed baby's seemingly persistent rash: food sensitivity. I could NOT get rid of her rash until I quit eating soy and peanuts. I already don't eat dairy, but that's another common one. It's something to bounce around in you mind if you happen to notice a coming-and-going pattern. For me it was 12 hours after I ate the offending food, almost like clockwork.

In the meantime, I also say yes to giving prefolds a shot! In fact, flats are my favorite diaper almost 4 months in simply because of the customizability/easy washing. 

#22 of 23 Old 11-26-2013, 04:20 AM

Just try the Mamy Poko Pants Small 18 Size

Features: All-round soft elastic with pores, Comfortably fits the body and helps the air pass easily, Maxi-absorbent core, Soft elastic, no tapes, Soaks up to 5 glasses of water, Easy to remove, simply tear the sides, A dry baby is a comfortable baby, Good fit in any position.

#23 of 23 Old 11-26-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickwilliams View Post

Just try the Mamy Poko Pants Small 18 Size

Features: All-round soft elastic with pores, Comfortably fits the body and helps the air pass easily, Maxi-absorbent core, Soft elastic, no tapes, Soaks up to 5 glasses of water, Easy to remove, simply tear the sides, A dry baby is a comfortable baby, Good fit in any position.

Umm, these are disposable diapers...:eyesroll 

Ones not available in North America from the looks of it too.

Tags
Diapering , New Mom Guide

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page