Cloth diapers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-21-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've recently started cloth diapering w/ my 3rd child. I began when my diapers arrived when my son was 2wks old. Can anyone out there tell me what detergent to use w/ them? I've been told that the microfiber inserts won't absorb well w/ free & clear detergents. I use arm & hammer w/ oxiclean boost pods. My diapers are shopdiaper.com & alva diapers w/ pocket inserts. They also leak through the fabric, so I use a plastic diaper cover. It's working well so far. Any suggestions?
#2 of 4 Old 11-21-2013, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I use tide, the original in powder version. Sometimes I makes my own, 1/8 cup 20 mule team borax and 1/8 cup arm and hammer washing soda

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#3 of 4 Old 12-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Welcome eafeldmann! I;m going to move your post over to our Diapering forum where you will get some more advice and help than you will here in the welcome forum. Good luck with Diapering!!

#4 of 4 Old 12-03-2013, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well first of all, they shouldn't be leaking through! I have a number of Alva pocket diapers and I really like them. Is the insert saturated when they leak?

I use Kirkland (Costco's brand) liquid detergent in the free & clear version, my DD is 33 months old and that's what we've been using the whole time. Part of the thing with detergents is that if you have hard water and/or a front-loading washer you are more likely to have issues no matter your detergent. Otherwise things are more flexible and you'll find people using all different detergents with success.

One big thing is to avoid fabric softener and dryer sheets. They really prevent synthetic fibres from absorbing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page