Does anyone still soak cloth diapers and wipes? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-26-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  I recently started using cloth wipes exclusively, and was wondering if anyone here soaks them and what they put in the container, so they don't stain or smell. 

I have been just using cold water to soak them for 3 days, until I do laundry, but I have heard that you literally have to wash cloth diapers and wipes practically every day or every other day in order to make sure they don't develop an odor.  I use the washing machines/dryers at a local Laundromat, so I don't have the option to do them every other day (I don't have a washer/dryer in my apartment). 

Should I rinse the wipes off before putting them in the soaking container?  Also, would putting a few drops of lavender essential oil or Kissaluvs Diaper Lotion Potion help with stains and odor?

HappyHappyMommy likes this.
#2 of 4 Old 12-27-2013, 10:41 AM

I don't use cloth wipes, but for the diapers I always rinse poopy diapers and overnight diapers. Then they sit in an open pail until wash day. An open pail will have less smell than closed. I put some Bac out in the pail. Bac out is lime enzyme and great for natural cleaning in general. Hth!
HappyHappyMommy likes this.
#3 of 4 Old 12-28-2013, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

My DC are not in diapers, but for mama cloth, I do soak and I use Bac Out and it's wonderful.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#4 of 4 Old 01-04-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help everyone.  I decided to just spray them with Bac-Out before tossing them in my bucket by the toilet.  This way, it will cut down on the odor, and be less of a hassle on wash day.

My niece has even been helping me pick out new fabric to make some more cloth wipes out of.  She likes the cloth wipes way better than the disposable ones, because she says they don't sting her bottom. 

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page