Disposable diapers during a drought? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-16-2014, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the title says it all. We are cloth diaper users. We're about to have water rationing called by the gov. This is supposed to be the worst drought in recorded history where I live.

We are pretty conscientious water users, turn the water off while you soap up kind of people, there isn't much we can cut back at this point. And while I am a big fan of EC and this does motivate me to step it up, at 4 mo, we 're just not there yet. Diaper washing consumes a lot of water. Are we doing the wrong thing under the circumstances? Are disposable diapers made by enviornmentally friendly companies a better choice right now? Are these companies what they even claim to be?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#2 of 12 Old 01-17-2014, 08:38 AM

I am following along, as this is something I wonder as well.

#3 of 12 Old 01-17-2014, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

If the drought is that bad where you live then maybe. The manufacture of disposables takes a lot of water, but presumably they get that in areas it's not in short supply. You could look into gdiapers as a compromise.

#4 of 12 Old 01-17-2014, 05:30 PM

I wonder if handwashing could use less water...not sure. There's always disposable inserts.

#5 of 12 Old 01-17-2014, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Any other disposable inserts besides G-Diapers?  I've been thinking of this too.  At least the g diapers can be flushed and I can stick with my wool covers.  Doesn't take much to wash those.

#6 of 12 Old 01-17-2014, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I like the Flip diaper inserts as well. Small but do the job. Lots less laundry than a pocket diaper.

I've wondered about drought as well but thought "no one recommends throwing away the rest of your clothes in drought times."
#7 of 12 Old 01-18-2014, 05:19 AM

We EC but use gDiaper compostable inserts for nighttime, as we are huge composters (we have a compost toilet as well).  If you're ECing, or for during the day, I would get the small-sized inserts, since the large ones are HUGE and really unnecessary for daytime use, if you're used to checking frequently.  I use Charlie Banana training pants for my ECed baby (9 months), and LOVE them.  They are very easy to hand-wash, trim fit (huge for me, since I think the large amount of cloth between baby's legs hinders their movement somewhat), and waterproof (occasional leaks when he pees a big amount, but very doable.  Anyway, they also sell disposable liners.  Not sure they can be composted though, which is why we went with the gDiapers (available on Amazon).  

Good luck!  :)

Mom to E(11/92), H(10/95), C(4/98), S(12/00) and M(4/13)
#8 of 12 Old 01-18-2014, 07:01 AM

My washer uses 14 gallons of water. It's a front loader. This is really very little water per diaper per use. I think putting it in that perspective helps.

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#9 of 12 Old 01-20-2014, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hmmm. debateable, as manufacturing disposable nappies consumes as much water as washing a cloth nappy 300 times!  So it's unlikely that the overall , using disposables would save water. EC'ing at every opportunity is the best option IMO

#10 of 12 Old 01-29-2014, 10:41 AM

I dont think also that using dispsables would save water. Would still go for the EC`ing.

#11 of 12 Old 01-29-2014, 12:37 PM

Full time ECing is a great goal, but depending on the family and the baby in question, can be an impossible one. Hand washing generally requires more water than machine waching.

#12 of 12 Old 01-29-2014, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

We were doing great with the ECing until ds started crawling.  Now there are a lot more misses because he wants to explore and is not communicating as much.  So, we have the cloth and I'll probably keep using them, but it has been an interesting question.  Both cloth and disposable inserts require tons of water to produce.  I don't know what the water situation is where they were made.  I just know that I need to use my well water to wash the cloth here or I can flush or responsibly compost the disposable inserts.  

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page