What do you expect from an overnight diaper? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-30-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
So, I cloth diaper during the day and did briefly at night, too, but my husband was unsettled with how wet the diapers were in the mornings. To appease him, we now use disposables at night. I'd really like to give cloth another shot, though.

What should we reasonably expect from a cloth diaper overnight? Should baby's skin be dry all night? Is a wet bum inevitable, and it's the leaks we're trying to prevent? I think I'd rather have my baby sitting in his own pee, than pee-gel overnight. Do you change through the night, or is your little one in one diaper all night?

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Tara

#2 of 10 Old 01-30-2014, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
My LO is not a heavy wetter, but I usually place a home made fleece liner between the prefold and his skin, it has a stay dry feel effect. Then a hemp doubler on the outside of the fastened prefold, then a thirsties cover. Voila!

My last LO was a big time heavy wetter. I think I used hemp prefolds, and tri folded them along with whatever various doublers I had around. I never bothered with fleece liners for him and it was fine. This LO currently id CDs is very sensitive to wetness against his skin.

So some babes aren't bothered at all by wetness. And BTW, no I don't change them in the middle of the night unless we have a leak, which is usually my fault for leaving a tiny bit of diaper exposed accidentally
Backroads likes this.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#3 of 10 Old 01-31-2014, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As long as their PJs are dry I consider the night diaper as having done it's job properly. Having wetness on the skin doesn't bother most babies or even disturb their sleep. As long as it's next to their skin it seems to stay warm anyway. We are using pocket diapers now at night but when DD was little we used fitteds so there was no stay-dry barrier. I agree to try a fleece liner on top of the diaper (as long as your baby is okay with synthetic fabrics, it has to be 100% polyester fleece to pull wetness away). Either way the diaper itself will be soaked but that's its job!

Oh, and I stopped changing during the night after the first few months (back then I changed whenever DD was up for a feeding). Unless we have a diaper leak, then I change diaper and PJs into dry ones.

#4 of 10 Old 02-01-2014, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

All in one pockets stuffed with 2 flat diapers around an insert do the trick for us at night, the layer next to the skin feels dry and it soaks it all up.

#5 of 10 Old 02-02-2014, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks for the input! Last night I tried two Bummi's prefolds inside a wool soaker, but LO was soaked through to his pj's by morning. Wondering if I should relanolize the cover. Tonight I'm going to try a Charlie Banana AIO with some extra stuffing in the pocket. The suggestion of a fleece liner on top of it all is great, gonna try this too once I can get my hands on some fleece to cut up!
#6 of 10 Old 02-02-2014, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you think that cloth at night helps potty learning? I have a 2.5 year old who we are attempting to re-train (was completely trained except night time at age 2, but then a new baby and wham! back is diaps). I would prefer it not being a long drawn out process

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#7 of 10 Old 02-02-2014, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Cloth can be annoying for a toddler to wear especially when wet. My first made the decision to take them off, and so he had to go potty.

#8 of 10 Old 02-04-2014, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I've always found that a fleece liner under 2 bamboo nappies (either 2 bamboo terry squares folded together or 2 fitteds, one on top of the other - doesn't matter if only one fastens) under a wool cover works superbly. You definitely need to lanolise wool tough, and it won't hold a pre fold in pace - you'd need to nippa prefolds, and 'm not convinced that even 2 cotton refolds would be enough.

BushMama83 likes this.
#9 of 10 Old 02-04-2014, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I really think it depends on the kid. DS is going on 1 yr old, and he does fine with 1 cotton prefold. I add the hemp doubler for extra protection and peace of mind for myself but he probably doesn't even really need it.
Like I said earlier my other DS that I CD'd was a heavy wetter and this system never would have woked for him

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#10 of 10 Old 02-11-2014, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

My goal was to avoid leaks, and to change the diaper only if baby seemed uncomfortable or if I could smell that the diaper was already very wet (or dirty!) when I was getting into bed for the night.

When my son was 10 months old, a friend with older kids told me that the first sign they were getting ready to toilet train was that they stayed dry through the night, so she started training by waking them just a moment earlier and taking them to the potty so they would not wet the diaper at that point.  I was surprised--I'd always heard that daytime control comes first, and I still don't know whether this is something a lot of parents are missing or it was just her kids and mine--but I started checking my son's diaper when my alarm went off in the morning and he was usually still asleep.  It would be damp but not soaked.  After a few months I found that it was sometimes completely dry at this point and he was not peeing until he woke; by 17 months he was consistent about that.  I would not have guessed because when he did pee, the diaper would be totally soaked right up to the waist!  Although it still took a while to toilet train (he was happy to sleep without a diaper but in the morning would want to put one on just long enough to wet it!) it was reassuring to know that he had NOT been surrounded by all that wetness all night long, just for a short time.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page