Wool during the day questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-09-2014, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was just introduced to wool for nighttime use and am in love! I would love to start using wool full-time, but have a few questions. First off, I only use prefolds. Does anyone else use prefolds and wool during the day? What if poop gets out? Do you have any bulletproof folds for keeping EBF/runny poop in? Also, if you use wool during the day, how many wool covers do you have in your stash? Do you need to alternate between two diapers during the day so one can air out while the other is on? Furthermore, what brands do you recommend for day use?

#2 of 4 Old 02-09-2014, 04:50 PM

I use prefolds and wool all the time.  We started with wool when DS was around 9 months so he was starting to transition to more solid poops.  I do remember thinking at the time that I might think twice before using wool full time with EBF poop.  But it's really not that bad.  How often is the poop getting on the covers you have now?  It would be about the same with wool.  You would just want to keep a wool wash bar handy to remove the poop with right away.  You might want to consider using interlock wool while you're still EBF because you can put that in the washing machine.  I love our WCW (Wild Coconut Wear, used to be Wild Child Woolies - I may have the names slightly off) soakers.

Right now because it's winter DS wears wool pants all day.  I think I have a total of 5 pair of longies.  Usually one is set aside because it needs to be washed and we easily get by on the other four.  You do need at least two pair so that they have time to dry after getting wet.  Sbish or Sloom is loved by many.  I do have two pair - they are awesomely thick and great for our cold winters.

I am personally a big fan of handknits.  There is a buy/sell/trade group on FB called Woolswap.  You can also find wool on diaperswappers.

Preferences with wool are just like preferences with cloth diapers - everyone is different about what they like and don't like.  My recommendation would be to get a variety of cheaper, used woolies to see what you like, then spend more $ on getting what you know you like and will work for you.  And of course this will change over time! :p

I hope that I was some help!  I know I kind of rambled all over the place.  I'm happy to answer more specific questions.  I am a total wool convert and love it!

#3 of 4 Old 02-09-2014, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! That was very helpful. I generally avoid synthetics on my baby,so wool seems like an obvious choice. I was actually kind of afraid to try it at first, but after many nighttime leaks I decided to take the leap. I love it! So soft and leakproof! I think I may try the prefolds and wool during the day. He does tend to poop out of the prefolds about every day. (He usually only poops once a day, so when he does it's A LOT.) The wool diapers I have for overnight right now are handmade diapers by a local mom. They are pretty thick, so I may get a few lighter ones for during the day.  

#4 of 4 Old 02-13-2014, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I reckon 3 is enough in any style. So one is on, one is airing and there's a spare for when you do need to wash one. So you might need 3 soakers for nights and 3 longies, shorties or skirties for daytime use. 

Also, re lanolising, soluble lanolin is very much easier to use than solid lanolin. It's just like using fabric conditioner, but leaving the wool in to soak for a few hours. Takes all the mess out of having to melt solid lanolin and emulsify it. Solubl lanolin is not the same as liquid lanolin, which is not very efficient at waterproofing  nappy covers - apparently it has had all the  solid fats removed, and that's what does the waterproofing. The soluble lanolin is just ready emulsified solid lanolin, and so easy to use.

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page