Natural detergents - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-16-2014, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I diaper with 100% cotton prefolds, switching back and forth between plain soap and a dye/scent free detergent.  Somewhere along the line, I heard to not use natural detergents with cloth diapers as they are prone to leave a residue.

Well, yesterday whilst grocery shopping, I noticed a bottle of Seventh Generation detergent on the clearance shelf.  Having had good experience with their detergent (though never this particular stuff on cloth diapers) I bought it as detergent was on my list anyway.

Now I'm wondering, is this really safe to use on cotton prefolds?  Try as I might, I can't find anything for sure on the internet.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 02-18-2014, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Come on mamas, what's the best detergent for prefolds?
#3 of 8 Old 02-18-2014, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I used to use plant based arm and hammer for CDs.
At GMD, she says that you don't need any special detergent for cotton. Whatever is fine because its cotton. Its when you're using synthetic fibers that you gotta worry

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#4 of 8 Old 02-19-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not set on a detergent for my cotton prefolds either.  I started with Seventh Generation Free & Clear (I think. Maybe it was their Natural Baby) and it seemed to work fine but I switched to Rockin Green because of what I read on this website: http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

It's a chart that lists lots of different detergents and rates the friendliness on cloth diapers. The Seventh Generation got a rating of 2 of 5 stars because it uses enzymes & softeners, whereas lots of other detergents get a 4/5 or 5/5.

So, I think it should work for your diapers but you might have better results with a different detergent. The extra rinse before and after the wash should help prevent any residue buildup.  Good luck!

Backroads likes this.
#5 of 8 Old 02-19-2014, 08:55 PM

I honestly use whatever detergent I have as long as it doesn't have fabric softners. I use a heaping scoop of Gain these days since it was on sale.

I used to use 2 tbsp of cloth safe detergent and it did NOTHING for my diapers. As far as natural detergent, I've heard good things about 7th generation and Honest Co.

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#6 of 8 Old 02-19-2014, 09:12 PM

There is much more flexibility with natural fibres as a previous poster said so with cotton prefolds you should be okay. The other thing to consider is if you have very hard or soft water as that sometimes needs some fiddling with the wash routine. But if you haven't had any issues yet you likely won't. And definitely avoid fabric softeners because they impede absorbency (you should also avoid them for towels for the same reason).

We have been using the Kirkland/Costco brand of "free & clear" detergent on diapers since DD was born. She is turning 3 in a month, no issues yet.

Backroads likes this.
#7 of 8 Old 07-29-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroads View Post
<p>I diaper with 100% cotton prefolds, switching back and forth between plain soap and a dye/scent free detergent.  Somewhere along the line, I heard to not use natural detergents with cloth diapers as they are prone to leave a residue.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Well, yesterday whilst grocery shopping, I noticed a bottle of Seventh Generation detergent on the clearance shelf.  Having had good experience with their detergent (though never this particular stuff on cloth diapers) I bought it as detergent was on my list anyway.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Now I'm wondering, is this really safe to use on cotton prefolds?  Try as I might, I can't find anything for sure on the internet.</p>
Here are the tips which i use for washing diapers. I use One cup Washing Soda, One cup Baking Soda, 1/2 cup Borax, Shake well and use 1-2 tbsp per load. I prefer using powder with my diapers and I make a liquid for clothing.
#8 of 8 Old 08-14-2014, 11:48 AM

I use baking soda(1 cup) lemon juice (1/2a cup, sometimes more if I have a lot of stains) and vinegar(1 cup) on rinse cycle. I was losing alot of absorbency with all the detergents I tried, i was having to strip my diapers once a week (too much). These household products work great for me and my diapers don't ever need to be stripped.

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page