What's the Best Organic Fleece Liner to Use? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-22-2014, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi y'all! My 15 month old, baby girl developed a severe blistering rash that turned brown and peeled about a month ago. I believe it to be because she has begun sleeping through the night again (with a wet diaper). What's throwing me for a loop, though, is that she slept through the night from the time she was 6 wks old up until 10 1/2 months and has been wearing cloth diapers since she was a newborn. Why did she never develop a rash during that long span of time??

I breastfed her exclusively for a year, and she has just recently started eating three solid meals a day, with breast milk in the morning and right before bedtime. Could it also have to do with the fact that my boobs are still getting used to the lack of nursing and therefore she is getting a lot more milk right before bed, resulting in a more soaked diaper during the night??

I switched her to disposables at bedtime and have been applying the ointment our holistic doctor prescribed at every diaper change, and it has been improving a lot, but I don't want to continue spending money on them, as well as contributing to the growing landfill issues, and most importantly, I don't want all those chemicals on her little bum! I mean, after all, isn’t that why we all switched to cloth?! ;-) I'm so glad to hear that I can go back to cloth diapers!! I had no idea that I could use a fleece liner to keep the moisture away from her skin while she sleeps AND create a shield between her diaper and the rash ointment!

Can someone please give me some advice on the technical side of this? Why the rash all of a sudden? And also if y'all could please recommend the brand of fleece liners you love and use!! I've heard good things about Bummis, but I would really love an ORGANIC material! Thanks so much! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

In order for the fleece to pull moisture away from the skin and into the diaper it needs to be 100% polyester fleece (so even a poly/cotton mix won't do it). Not sure if there's such a thing as an organic synthetic fabric and exactly what that would mean. I wonder if wool liners might work similarly as both fleece and wool have water resistant properties when used as diaper covers?

What we did to make liners is just go to the fabric store and get some fleece (since you don't need very much of it even a remnant would work). Then I washed it a couple of times and cut it to make a few liners. Fleece won't fray so you don't need to do anything else to it. Also I was using them over fitted diapers so I roughly traced the shape of the diaper onto the fleece so that as much would be covered as possible.

As far as causes of the rash, it may be what you were thinking with the breastfeeding but in my DD's case it seemed like her pee just got stronger around a year or so of age and that was what irritated her skin. We also used sposies and cream for a while but now we are back to cloth at night though instead of the fitteds I am using pocket diapers because the inner fabric (microfleece or suedecloth) is keeping the wetness away from her skin enough. And yes, both are synthetics but still much better than disposable chemicals IMO. It was needed in her case as she'd wake with a rash every morning and with going coverless and giving her bum air time I would just be getting it to improve by bed time and then we'd have to start all over again. In your case I would probably use the sposies to clear it up and then try going back to cloth once it is under control.

Tags
Diapering
User Tag List