New to wool....now what??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-26-2014, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Im trying to convert all of my diaper covers to wool but Im a novice at crocheting and cant afford to buy new. I did however find some used wool sweaters for dirt cheap in hopes of sewing them into something useful. And Im also having a friend help me with my crochet technique. Im a bit overwhelmed with all the research Ive done on how to care for them so if anyone has any helpful tips or links to provide I would greatly appreciate it!

We are a treehugger.gif family by nature...my beloved partner in life hippie.gifour little drummer boydrum.gif(Apr.2011) and Autumnal girlflower.gif(Oct.2013)       goorganic.jpgsigncirc1.gif  h20homebirth.gif  namaste.gif 
#2 of 8 Old 02-26-2014, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Firstly make sure the wool you use is not machine washable, as wool treated to be machine washable will not accept lanolin.

Secondly, to lanolise your nappy covers, by far the simplest way is to use soluble lanolin (you can usually find on ebay). If you use solid lanolin it's really messy and you usually end up using far more the you really need, so it's extravagant. The soluble stuff you just add to warm water, a bit like fabric conditioner, and leave the cover to soak for a few hours. 

Wool covers just need hanging to air between uses. You don't need to wash them very often at all - just when they're grubby looking or starting to smell a bit after airing, or not be as waterproof, in which case they need a wash in delicate or wool wash, and then probably a re-lanolising treatment.

#3 of 8 Old 02-27-2014, 09:36 AM

Wool can seem overwhelming at first but it really is easy!

I use a lanolin bar to wash. I lightly rub the wet zone with the bar and rinse really well. Then I grate it up into a sink of warm water and plop the covers in! Let them soak for about half an hour then put them in the washer on a spin cycle to get the water out. The. Lay flat to dry. I do this once ever few weeks. Otherwise they just air out between changes.

I've made Longies out of felted wool sweaters. They are super easy and so cute! Here's the tutorial: http://sewingdork.blogspot.ca/2009/08/how-to-make-wool-soaker-pants.html?m=1 she has a tutorial for covers too. I haven't tried that yet.

Good luck, mama! smile.gif

Kalista, happily married to my best friend , mama to 4 fabulous kids!
#4 of 8 Old 02-28-2014, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've made dozens of wool covers out of recycled wool sweaters and I've only run into a few that don't seem to work very well.  It's mostly been thinner merino sweaters that I've had trouble with.  Some merinos work great.  Lambswool is the most water resistant in my experience.  You can test the water resistance of any sweater before sewing it up and lanolizing it.  The lanolin increases water resistance, but a good sweater will already be somewhat water resistant even before lanolizing.  Just set a wet but not dripping washcloth on the sweater and see how long it takes to soak through.  

I love longies for older babies and toddlers, but I really prefer wraps for newborns.  Easier to get on, and easier to remove in case of a blow-out.  I made a pattern from a pul cover that I borrowed from a friend.  Be sure to use a pattern that's intended for a cover and not a pocket diaper.  Pocket diapers are not wide enough to cover a cotton diaper very well, they're made to be stuffed with the absorbent layer.  I made the mistake of making a few with a pocket diaper pattern and ended up having to add an extra strip to each side to widen it.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#5 of 8 Old 03-02-2014, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help so far ladies! I have a few random questions though...Brambleberry, when making a wool wrap, what do you fasten it with? Im making these for my 4 mth old and was hoping to have at least 1 pair of longies since its still cold here but want a few covers that will hopefully fit for a while. Is it comfortable for them to wear wool covers when its warmer weather?

We are a treehugger.gif family by nature...my beloved partner in life hippie.gifour little drummer boydrum.gif(Apr.2011) and Autumnal girlflower.gif(Oct.2013)       goorganic.jpgsigncirc1.gif  h20homebirth.gif  namaste.gif 
#6 of 8 Old 03-02-2014, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

this may be a silly question but do you use detergent when felting the recycled sweaters or a special wool wash?

#7 of 8 Old 03-03-2014, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irielyn View Post

Thanks for all the help so far ladies! I have a few random questions though...Brambleberry, when making a wool wrap, what do you fasten it with? Im making these for my 4 mth old and was hoping to have at least 1 pair of longies since its still cold here but want a few covers that will hopefully fit for a while. Is it comfortable for them to wear wool covers when its warmer weather?

Wool covers are the coolest to wear, as they allow evaporation to take place. Research has shown that the temperature inside a cloth nappy with a PUL cover is 1 degree cooler than a disposable and with a wool cover it's 2 degrees cooler.

#8 of 8 Old 03-04-2014, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Irielyn - I like to just use a snappi to fasten the wool wrap until baby is crawling or is able to unfasten it herself.  Then I use plastic kam snaps.  The snaps are relatively cheap - $4 for 100 sets, and the pliers to attach them to the diaper are about $10.  http://www.kamsnaps.com/Size-20-Most-Popular-c33/ 

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page