Diapers still sudsy after rinsing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-03-2014, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! I'm hoping for some cloth care wisdom...

I've been trying to get my stash of cloth diapers ready for our new babe. They were washed after my 3 yo stopped wearing them over a year ago, but they were a little stinky when I brought them out this weekend.

So I soaked them in rocking green for two hours, then ran several hot water cycles with no detergent and they were sudsy. We have a front loading machine and I figured it doesn't use enough water, so I rinsed them several times (like ten...) in buckets, then ran the washer AGAIN. STILL SUDSY.

There are definitely less suds, and I kind of want to say they're clean now, but everything I read about stripping diapers says you have to rinse them until the water is completely suds-free.

I certainly don't want to put unclean cloth on newborn skin, but this is taking FOREVER. Do y'all think I've done enough? Are a *few* suds ok? Is there something else I should use instead of rocking green? Are these diapers goners? Should I throw my HE washer off a cliff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-03-2014, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Have you tried to run it empty? My front loader is often sudsy even when there are no clothes and no detergent in the load. So it might be your front loader not the diapers.
#3 of 4 Old 03-03-2014, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't--I'll try that. Thanks!
#4 of 4 Old 03-06-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

If that doesn't work, check the water heater.

I was having such trouble stripping my diapers last week via the classic method of a few hot water cycles... and they just weren't getting properly cleared!  I finally stuck my hand in the washer, realized the "hot" water wasn't all that hot, and realized my grandmother (we live in her basement apartment) had turned down the water heater's temperature "in order to protect the baby".  Which was sweet of her, but sure made other stuff hard.

--Breastfeeding----2nd grade Teaching----Cosleeping----Cloth Diapering -- --Bookworm Mom

Tags
Diapering

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page