Wool covers, inserts and a two year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-09-2014, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi:

My 2 year old is potty trained except for at night. We have generally used refolds as inserts for various covers (at night). My few PUL covers are just....passed it, and anyway, I'd rather use wool now.We never had many because we did EC a lot of the time, and used to do that at night when she was little until things just got...not as easy. ;) Sleep is important!  The prefolds are not big enough to use as "diapers" - as in, with a snappy or anything, just more to lay them in a diaper. But I want to make some wool covers with recycled sweaters. I also have some thin merino wool t-shirt material and was wondering about making a pocket style diaper with wool? I've never heard/seen anybody do that. Of course, she would only ever pee in it, and with younger children you wouldn't be sure of that, which might be why you would avoid it. But does anybody know if that would work? To be clear, the outer part of the diaper/soaker would be a heavy wool, or several wool layers, and then I'd make a thin merino layer to slide the insert in? I'd probably wash and hang to dry the covers each morning. Thoughts? Keen to use what I have, not buy anything more, since not sure if we'll have another child. Thanks. (surely there is a good reason NOT to do this, or other people would?) 

#2 of 5 Old 03-10-2014, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm not sure about having wool next to the skin. I'd rather have fleece or something stay dry there. Wool next to the skin would stay pretty wet, and I think you'd have to wash it every day as well, if the pee was going straight into it. To me, one of the joys of wool is that you don't have to wash it very often, as what gets sucked into it from the nappy underneath is mainly water, rather than the actual pee. I can see where you're coming from, in that it would be only one layer to put on, but I think I'd be inclined to make as normal, and put the nappy on separately. 

One point though. If you're going to up cycle old woollies, make sure they are not machine washable, as you can't lanolise wool which has been treated to machine wash.

Good luck with the project anyway!

#3 of 5 Old 03-10-2014, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the input. Last night I made a t-shirt (100% merino) "sleeve" for the diaper insert (covered with a PUL cover) and it worked very well. Though the diaper was wet it felt much dryer next to her skin. This is t-shirt material, and very thin and, as you point out, machine washable. I'll wash today and see how it goes. So now I'm just make a regular wool soaker to wear over this. I guess my main need was to get something to hold my prefold inserts, since they aren't big enough to be worn with a snappy or anything. The t-shirt sleeve acts as a diaper I can slide the insert into and now she can wear a wool soaker right over that. The merino next to skin is an added bonus of keeping her skin dry. But you are definitely right - a soaker needs to be lanolised and is best kept separate. 

#4 of 5 Old 03-10-2014, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What about adding snaps to the prefolds and the wool covers to snap them together?  Kamsnaps are what most people use for diapers, and they're not that hard to apply.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#5 of 5 Old 03-14-2014, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page