"Cloth diapers not an option" - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-10-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This article makes me so, so sad. Not only to see parents in need that are not being informed of all their available resources and to see cloth diapers being dismissed so quickly. 

ETA the article itself:
http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/health/health-matters/when-poor-parents-can-t-afford-diapers-babies-wear-dirty/article_a58e875a-4788-597c-aacf-5d672337424c.html

sunfish75 and RainbowHippyMum like this.
#2 of 9 Old 04-10-2014, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

"Crisis Nursery workers sometimes go door-to-door in poor neighborhoods asking people what they need. The answer is almost always the same: diapers and formula." - That is a very sad statement. 

#3 of 9 Old 04-10-2014, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

We knew were going to CD from the get-go, but when my husband found out how expensive disposables are, he really got on board

#4 of 9 Old 04-10-2014, 03:33 PM

I think my DH could take or leave CDs, but he goes along with it because I like them. I'm so thankful that diapers are not part of our monthly budget.
#5 of 9 Old 04-11-2014, 04:36 AM

I can see why. Cloth diapers are only awesome if you can wash them properly, not to mention finding cloth friendly day care. I don't see them as dismissing it too quickly, it just simply isn't logical. Coin laundry is expensive and probably costs just as much or more than disposables.
#6 of 9 Old 04-11-2014, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol86 View Post

No, I don't agree with you that cloth diaper is not an option for poor people. They have some better option for their children. There are some companies who sell diapers at affording rates so poor parents can buy from them. Pureandsimplebaby.com is one of those companies.

Apologies, I was referring to the quote in the article that says cloth is not an option. It was totally dismissed as not even being an option.

#7 of 9 Old 04-11-2014, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa85 View Post

I can see why. Cloth diapers are only awesome if you can wash them properly, not to mention finding cloth friendly day care. I don't see them as dismissing it too quickly, it just simply isn't logical. Coin laundry is expensive and probably costs just as much or more than disposables.

It doesn't have to be 100% cloth or disposable. You can do a combo if you can't find a CD friendly daycare (although, according to the replies on the article, daycares in missouri aren't allowed to say no to CD). We use CD and coin laundry and it is in no way comparable in cost to disposable. 
I have a couple thoughts on the washing properly and laundromat issues:
if you don't have in building laundry, you have to go to a laundromat anyway
some of these people are already washing their disposables out and re-using them, so switching to cloth would be the BEST thing in that situation
flats and covers are NOT expensive and require very little in the way of being washed properly. 

sunfish75 likes this.
#8 of 9 Old 04-11-2014, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:

Coin laundry is expensive and probably costs just as much or more than disposables.

Not really. My machine is down and I have been going to the laundromat. It costs me about $6.00 total for wash and dry. Way more expensive than doing them at home, but less than half of what I'd pay for buying disposables.

sunfish75 likes this.

#9 of 9 Old 04-29-2014, 02:40 PM

There are only a few states in which you can't use cloth diapers in daycare; not being able to is more a case of parents not being aware of the laws governing childcare facilities and the facilities not wanting to do it than actually not being allowed to do it.

And why does coin laundry have to be the only alternative to having your own washer and dryer? Honestly, we are fortunate to have a washer and dryer . . . and I still wash our cloth diapers by hand (and/or jogging in the water to agitate) simply because I can be more water economical and recycle the grey water from the rinses this way.

We are low-income; and sometimes, I honestly think that we wouldn't be able to afford to be buying disposable diapers every month. Cloth diapers are a lifesaver when finances are tight, and I think they're not only logical but really probably one of the best ways to make life easier and allow low-income families to always keep diapers on their children and change them regularly because you're just a wash away from having clean ones instead of a week away from pay day.

And while I realize that the initial cost can be difficult, I also know how easy it is to have a diaper stash that covers all the necessities for $100-$150 max. And you have 9 months of pregnancy to be able to set that aside. And if even that is impossible, there are a number of nationwide cloth diaper loaning charities, where you might have to pay shipping (around $35) and that's it. Then all you have to do is keep them clean and send them back when you're done.

It would be amazing if places were willing to educate people about cloth diapers instead of just dismissing them outright . . . especially when it's obvious that they're going off what people assume are the difficulties of cloth and don't actually know what's it's really like trying to use cloth.

rainbownurse and dueinsept14 like this.

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page