how far in advance to prepare? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-29-2014, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How far in advance is it rational to buy diapering supplies? The plan(not that I ever follow them) is to use sized fitteds and wool with the occasional aio for my mom and such, with part time+ ec. The problem is that about a month after the baby is due financially crap is going to hit the fan... for the entire foreseeable future, possibly a few+ years. I not concerned about getting the fitteds, it's the wool I worry about. Right now I have the resources to get while not an extravagant stash, a sizeable one if I'm careful, from start to about 2.5 years (according to size charts) however even knowing how things are going to look down the line it's hard to figure out if it's sane to buy things for 2 years when she's not even born yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 04-30-2014, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Don't go too crazy, would be my advice, especially if you are doing part time ec.  We did part time ec with DS1 and he was in underpants, except for nighttime by 1yo.  Also, DS1 was an average sized baby and we were equipped with a diaper stash to accommodate an average sized baby when DS2 cam along and was anything BUT average sized!  We blew through newborn in no time, and I am not sure he ever fit into small prefolds we just went straight to medium.  Now we are on large prefolds and he just turned 8mos.  DS1 was out of diapers before he ever made it to large prefolds.  So much for being equipped!  Basically what I am saying is that you never can tell.  Wool is definitely a worthy splurge, but they are only small for such a short time.  Have you checked into second hand diapers, or making your own out of wool sweaters?  There is a baby store near me that sells second hand diapers and covers and everything is in pristine condition.  My rule of thumb is to stock up on most baby diapers/clothing for the 6-18mo age range.  That seems to be when everything needs changing the most often!  New liquids and solids are being introduced, baby is more mobile and getting into stuff, there is a lot more stuff going on and that leads to a lot more changings during our days! 

After typing all of that... my other thought is, can you set aside a little "diaper stash" money so that you can get what you need when you have tried some and know what you like, and also what you need in relation to the size of your babe?

Tags
Diapering

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page