Homemade wipe solution and wet bags - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-16-2014, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've just started using a wipe solution on my cloth wipes -- 1 mason jar of water, about 1 tsp (small squirt) of Dr Bronner's liquid soap with lavendar, and a few drops of TTO.  I have a wet bag (made by planetwise) that is sized for wipes.  I know that EOs can be hard on plastic; should I be concerned about leaving wipes with the solution in the bag for a few days?  The alternative is having to take the wipes back out of the wet bag each time we come home and put them back in the wipes container, and then having to pack them back up again when we go out again.  SO much work, I know, lol.  

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#2 of 3 Old 05-16-2014, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With our first I did tea tree oil on my wipes in a plastic wipes container in the diaper bag, and didn't have any problems with the plastic getting sticky or anything.  I think if your TTO was strong enough to make the plastic soft it would be way too strong for your LO's skin.  However, I'm honestly not a fan of TTO in wipes anymore.  DD1 had frequent diaper rash issues when we were using TTO in the wipes, and her bottom cleared up a little when we switched to plain water.  She was also older then, so who knows if it was just coincidence with the change in wipes... But this time around with our twins, I've just done 10% raw apple cider vinegar in the wipes water, and they have had MUCH healthier bottoms.  I feel like the TTO is a little irritating for sensitive skin, and I worry that it kills off good bacteria on the skin when used every day.  ACV, on the other hand, has sort of a pro-biotic effect, as well as keeping the wipes a little fresher.  We use our wipes within about 3 days and they stay fresh that long at least, I don't know if that's long enough to work for stocking a diaper bag or not for you.  With the twins we've compromised with just using disposable wipes in the diaper bag, because it's too much hassle to keep track of stocking the diaper bag with cloth wipes, especially since we rarely go anywhere these days anyway.

Work at home, homesteading mom sharing child care 50/50 with my wonderful WAH DH. DD1 born Jan. 2010.   March '12.   DD2 & DD3 (twins) born Feb. 2013
#3 of 3 Old 05-17-2014, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I haven't been using the homemade wipe solution for long; I haven't noticed any skin problems yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it, thanks.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page