2Likes
  • 1 Post By Littlepants
  • 1 Post By rinap
  • 1 Post By doopamama

#1 of 17 Old 05-18-2014, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi mamas, I'm very new to cd-ing, and think I'm going to go with the folded flat n cover route (at least that's how lit looks in my head). I also live in so-cal, desert area and this past week we got temps as high at 106-108!!!!! This babe isn't due until September, so I've got some time, but I wanted to get some opinions on good breathable covers. I'm thinking a light weight wool cover, but then I started to think, WHAT IF the baby is allergic!??!?! Is this a thing? Any one experience this? I'm hesitant to use the vinyl type or vinyl covered cotton, those just don't seem very airy to me. Thoughts? Suggestions? Links? ;-) TIA!!!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
#2 of 17 Old 05-19-2014, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From what I've read wool is for the most sensitive of bambinos. I use the pul covers. And when I visit the very hot and humid OK in the summer my DD almost always gets heat rash. So we will be taking wool with us next trip for sure. I'd like to know about alternatives as well though.
#3 of 17 Old 05-19-2014, 11:26 PM

I would go with wool over pul.  Ours are all hand-me downs, so we use a variety, also we EC.  It gets to be over 100F here and we've never had a problem with overheating.  How much time do you spend out in the high temps?  I have never heard of wool diaper cover allergies, but I have seen diaper rash on many different babies who wear many different diapers.

#4 of 17 Old 05-20-2014, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama505 View Post

I would go with wool over pul.  Ours are all hand-me downs, so we use a variety, also we EC.  It gets to be over 100F here and we've never had a problem with overheating.  How much time do you spend out in the high temps?  I have never heard of wool diaper cover allergies, but I have seen diaper rash on many different babies who wear many different diapers.

PUL is hotter than wool, and wool over PUL i would have thought would be very hot. Just wool is the coolest as it allows evaporation, which is cooling. Wool over natural fibre nappies, but I can't see any pint in putting wool over PUL.  If your bubs is allergic to wool then 100% alpaca works too, and alpaca is hypoallergenic. But both wool and alpaca need to be hand wash only, so they can absorb lanolin. Alpaca doesn't have any natural lanolin in it, but you can treat it with lanolin. 

doopamama likes this.
#5 of 17 Old 05-20-2014, 05:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepants View Post

PUL is hotter than wool, and wool over PUL i would have thought would be very hot. Just wool is the coolest as it allows evaporation, which is cooling. Wool over natural fibre nappies, but I can't see any pint in putting wool over PUL.  If your bubs is allergic to wool then 100% alpaca works too, and alpaca is hypoallergenic. But both wool and alpaca need to be hand wash only, so they can absorb lanolin. Alpaca doesn't have any natural lanolin in it, but you can treat it with lanolin. 

I used wool covers a lot and loved them, especially when it was hot out. I agree that if wool doesn't work for you, it's worth trying another fibre such as cashmere or alpaca, but I know more people with alpaca allergies than with wool allergies, so I don't put much faith in the hypoallergenic lable.

#6 of 17 Old 05-20-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:

I believe what was meant here was wool *instead* of pul. Not actually wearing both. (it's a common English construction in some areas "I would choose x over y" meaning x is a better option than y)

Mama505 likes this.
#7 of 17 Old 05-20-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

THANKS MAMAS!!!!! Lots of great advice here!!! I think I'm going to start with some wool covers, I've even found a few sellers on etsy that make OS's with SNAPS and VELCRO!!!   So, OK, snaps or velcro!??!?!?!   I can see benefits to both, but honestly my concern with the velcro is WAKING a sleeping baby with that Riiiiiiiiiiiip sound....lol....snaps *might* break or come undone... what do you all think? or did you just use the pull on type?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
#8 of 17 Old 05-20-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinap View Post

Quote:

I believe what was meant here was wool *instead* of pul. Not actually wearing both. (it's a common English construction in some areas "I would choose x over y" meaning x is a better option than y)

Yes, I would choose wool 'instead of' pul!  Thanks for helping to clarify rinap! 

Although the thought of putting wool actually OVER/on top of a pul cover is kind of funny to think about.  :)  Like one of those stories you hear about first time parents or a babysitter cloth diapering a baby for the first time and wanting to make sure they didn't leave anything to chance! 

#9 of 17 Old 05-20-2014, 09:00 PM

I personally hated Velcro. ALTHOUGH, I only had one Velcro diaper. The Velcro rubbed my DD's little legs and belly when she was in crawling stages. And then she figured out how to rip them off. The snaps are too strong for her little fingers, so I have preferred those. And we've always used OS. The only struggle I continue to have is during growth spurts finding the right adjustment to prevent nighttime leaks.
#10 of 17 Old 05-20-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinap View Post

LOL Ah! I see!! I thought it was a bit strange, but I have heard of people putting wool over PUL or even a disposable at night, thinking that it will stop the leaks coming through. 

#11 of 17 Old 06-25-2014, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Definitely wool or alpaca if your LO really is allergic to the wool. Caution because some "wool allergies" are actually allergies to the lanolin or just a sensitivity to the coarseness of the fiber. If baby is allergic to lanolin, that cuts out a lot of great options unfortunately. If it's actually a sensitivity to the coarseness or scratchiness, alpaca may help since it's a much finer and softer fiber. There are actually 2 types of alpaca: Huycaya and Suri. Suri is generally finer than huycaya, sometimes so fine that you literally cannot feel individual fibers! That distinction might actually be on a microscopic level to some degree but if it's a concern, you can always ask. if you're buying alpaca directly from a producer, they'll likely know. If not, "100% alpaca" might be as good as it gets. If you're buying a hand-made wool cover, if you have the option or the maker knows what breed the wool is from, great! Merino or Rambouillet are the most common fine-wool breeds. Rambouillet is the more common of the two in America. They'll be softer and less scratchy, typically, than anything made of wool from most other breeds. Other finewool breeds include: California Variegated Mutant or CVM, Cormo, Debouillet, Targhee.

Perhaps a bit much detail but if allergies to wool, sensitivity to lanolin or something of the like end up being a concern, worth knowing!

My experience with Velcro: works great for a while. Since we didn't have money to buy new covers or time to re-sew new velcro on, Duct tape became our new favorite diaper accessory. Definitely hard on the diaper covers but it also became necessary for LOs who insisted on removing their own diapers.... I also had a few OS bummis have their snaps actually rip out of the fabric eventually also so +1 for velcro there as velcro is easier to just replace (if you have knowledge/time or a friend with such). snaps are so much harder to fix, especially to fix and make look nice still.
daniellebluetoo likes this.

Farming mama to DD1 (10/18/07), DD2 (10/3/09) who are always DS born 8.21.14 and wife to loving hubby (6/23/2007).
#12 of 17 Old 07-14-2014, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

WoW, Doopamama! That's a LOT of animal hair info!!!! lol, thank you! More than I had ever suspected there was to it. Do you work in this industry or just REALLY into cd-ing?

Also, does any one know what the chances of allergies are? As far as I know, none of us, me, dh, and ds are allergic to either wool or alpaca, does this mean that this babe probably isn't going to be either, or is it just a crap shoot?

#13 of 17 Old 07-14-2014, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Actually, if baby is allergic to lanolin, you can still use wool covers, but they must come to you clean (i.e. don't buy pre-lanolinized covers) and you have to treat them with olive oil instead of lanolin. I know I have the information on how to do that exactly around here someplace, but you might be able to Google it. I have heard the argument that it's "impossible" to be allergic to wool because it's just hair, the same as your own. Logically, that would mean that fiber size sensitivity, dander, oils (such as lanolin in the case of sheep), and particulate matter left in the wool (like grass, or pollen...) would be the cause. In any case, wool allergies are pretty rare.

I use pull-on style covers because I knit my own-- that's the only way we could afford to use wool covers when we had 2 under 1 on DH's graduate school stipend!

We did get some storebought covers as gifts, and here's my thought on snaps vs. Velcro-- the Velcro will lose its power over time even if you're extremely conscientious about keeping it clean (which means closing the tabs to store or wash and cleaning the hook side out when it gets hairs/threads etc. stuck in it-- I use a tiny crochet hook for this), but with snaps, it's the cover itself that suffers due to stretching out the area between snaps when baby is between sizes, which WILL happen. Velcro is easier for baby to undo themselves, and that can cause ENORMOUS messes. Snaps are less comfortable against the skin when the cover is on tight or compressed under a seatbelt. Which one you prefer is a matter of personal taste and what kind of baby you end up having (a baby with a very plump tummy would be more bothered by snaps, whereas a baby who fiddles constantly will bother YOU more in Velcro), so if you're not sure, you could get some of each to try out and just wash more often in the beginning (you'll be washing covers VERY FREQUENTLY in the beginning anyway because of how liquid newborn stools are).
#14 of 17 Old 07-14-2014, 07:53 PM

We used wool diaper covers bought on Etsy or hand-crocheted by my mother. I have 2 kids and the wool diaper covers were the best. We tried other types but they weren't half as good as the wool...
#15 of 17 Old 07-14-2014, 08:37 PM

Another option is fleece covers. We use Sugar Peas covers and love them. They work in a similar way to wool, but less care needed. Just wash 'em with the regular diapers. Oh, and we use prefolds with them. Good luck!
#16 of 17 Old 07-28-2014, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellebluetoo View Post
<p>Hi mamas, I'm very new to cd-ing, and think I'm going to go with the folded flat n cover route (at least that's how lit looks in my head). I also live in so-cal, desert area and this past week we got temps as high at 106-108!!!!! This babe isn't due until September, so I've got some time, but I wanted to get some opinions on good breathable covers. I'm thinking a light weight wool cover, but then I started to think, WHAT IF the baby is allergic!??!?! Is this a thing? Any one experience this? I'm hesitant to use the vinyl type or vinyl covered cotton, those just don't seem very airy to me. Thoughts? Suggestions? Links? ;-) TIA!!!!</p>
Here are our tips for baby wearing in the hot weather

Light and airy clothes are best. Baby Legs or other leg/arm covers are an easy on/off way to provide light protection while staying cool
Keep a layer of fabric between you and baby to help make things feel less sticky.
Wear your lightest, thinnest baby carrier.
#17 of 17 Old 08-16-2014, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAnthrope View Post
and here's my thought on snaps vs. Velcro-- the Velcro will lose its power over time even if you're extremely conscientious about keeping it clean (which means closing the tabs to store or wash and cleaning the hook side out when it gets hairs/threads etc. stuck in it-- I use a tiny crochet hook for this), but with snaps, it's the cover itself that suffers due to stretching out the area between snaps when baby is between sizes, which WILL happen. Velcro is easier for baby to undo themselves, and that can cause ENORMOUS messes. Snaps are less comfortable against the skin when the cover is on tight or compressed under a seatbelt. Which one you prefer is a matter of personal taste and what kind of baby you end up having (a baby with a very plump tummy would be more bothered by snaps, whereas a baby who fiddles constantly will bother YOU more in Velcro), so if you're not sure, you could get some of each to try out and just wash more often in the beginning (you'll be washing covers VERY FREQUENTLY in the beginning anyway because of how liquid newborn stools are).
Possibly the best velcro vs snaps reply I've ever seen/heard. Personally velcro worked very well for us. We didn't have any of the problems associated with it, so to me the snaps pulling on the diaper were a bigger issue. Knock on wood the next baby doesn't pull off diapers as I'm pretty "attached" to velcro now (haha, sorry I couldn't help it).

We are also in the SW desert & moved here when DS was nearly 1. We always used PUL & didn't have a problem. It's another one of those "every baby is different" things. But I'm hoping to use more wool & fleece wraps this time.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page