Stripping with no hot water? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By marilyn612

#1 of 5 Old 05-23-2014, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My washing machine doesn't have a hot setting, only warm. What would be the best way to strip my diapers? I have a mix of mostly prefolds but some microfiber and hemp inserts. I've never really stripped them before--I've used bleach and sunned them but now that we started CDing overnight we are having urine/barnyard stink issues (not much ammonia that I can detect, though). No major stink problems with the cotton, only the hemp and microfiber, which makes me think it's a bacteria issue--but I'd like to strip them just in case. I wash with Tide Original powder.

What do you do? I can't find any stripping methods that don't involve washing on hot.

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#2 of 5 Old 05-23-2014, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Turn the cold water off to the washer....instant hot cycle!
doopamama and Blanca78 like this.
#3 of 5 Old 05-24-2014, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think I've tried that before--hmm. We're in a new house since then. Will try it today!

Fiction writer by training, writer/editor of anything anyone will hire me for by trade. Me + D=my girls E (4/2011) and little N, 1/2014.

#4 of 5 Old 06-06-2014, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Some consider this practice dangerous... but boil the diapers on the stove.
#5 of 5 Old 06-25-2014, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backroads View Post
Some consider this practice dangerous... but boil the diapers on the stove.
I've done that a few times! It definitely works at least to get everything to a "clean start"

I usually waited until I had munchkin in disposables for the day and then would boil water in a large pot and do a couple at a time and then wait for the water to return to a boil after removing that batch.

Probably ought to change water in the pot after a few batches: it'll start to stink with all the ammonia that's being pulled from the diapers.

I don't know why some would consider it dangerous, boiling should definitely kill off the microorganisms that are present

Since our water is well water it's pretty hard and that can lead to more buildup on diapers. My mother informed me that tossing in about a 1/2 cup of borax to the wash can help soften the water and help it clean better. Haven't had babies in diapers since she told me that (will again soon!) but it definitely made a huge difference with our clothes, as does occasionally cleaning the washing machine (tide makes a cleaning product. Says to use 1x monthly but I just do it every few weeks to few months when I feel like things are coming out grimy which can be pretty often sometimes here on a farm!)

And whoever said to simply turn off the cold water tap: YES! That too! My washer also only has a warm setting but luckily since it's old it draws only from the hot water tap even on "warm" which is nice because the water shut-offs are in a really wierd spot.

good luck!

Farming mama to DD1 (10/18/07), DD2 (10/3/09) who are always DS born 8.21.14 and wife to loving hubby (6/23/2007).

Tags
Diapering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page