diaper covers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-08-2014, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
diaper covers

Recommendations for best ones and why? I had Econobum one-size diaper covers with my dd, but we didn't use it very much because she was born in the summer and we lived in tropical climate until she was toilet-trained. She was just in flats most of the time and we cleaned up the messes. I didn't think econobum was all that great, either.

#2 will be born in winter, we'll be living in a chilly place with no heaters. So I'm thinking of getting new covers. I'm planning to use the flats that my dd used.

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!

Last edited by girlspn; 06-08-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I couldn't use Econobum or any cover with just one row of snaps, because my kids have had skinny legs and covers like that would gap. Overall, my favorite PUL covers are Thirsties Duo Wrap, Blueberry Coveralls, and Sweet Pea.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Old 06-14-2014, 01:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Try wool or even better alpaca longies. They are gorgeously warm and soft in winter, but also cool in summer. Wool covers also work fantastically well with terry squares
Old 06-14-2014, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepants View Post
Try wool or even better alpaca longies. They are gorgeously warm and soft in winter, but also cool in summer. Wool covers also work fantastically well with terry squares
I really like the idea of cover + pants in one.

Sorry to sound so ignorant here-- how do they work? Do you use them with flats/prefolds, and just change out the flats/prefolds when baby pees/poops? How often should wool covers/longies be washed? How many pairs would be reasonable to start? Any recommendations?

I used wool puddle pad for my daughter when she was potty-training and liked it. Except I couldn't figure out why the pad shed so much.

#2 due December 2014!

Last edited by girlspn; 06-14-2014 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
I couldn't use Econobum or any cover with just one row of snaps, because my kids have had skinny legs and covers like that would gap. Overall, my favorite PUL covers are Thirsties Duo Wrap, Blueberry Coveralls, and Sweet Pea.
One of my friends also recommended Blueberry. Do you have different sizes or the one-size only? How many pairs should one have?

#2 due December 2014!
Old 06-14-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlspn View Post
One of my friends also recommended Blueberry. Do you have different sizes or the one-size only? How many pairs should one have?
The newborn and the one-size Coverall is what I had. I have had over 8 lb babies and was never able to use OS diapers from birth. More like 6-8 weeks.

How many depends on what you're putting under it. If it is PFs, then you want 4 covers per 12 PFs. If it is fitteds, then 3 covers per 12 PFs.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I really like the idea of cover + pants in one.

Sorry to sound so ignorant here-- how do they work? Do you use them with flats/prefolds, and just change out the flats/prefolds when baby pees/poops? How often should wool covers/longies be washed? How many pairs would be reasonable to start? Any recommendations?

I used wool puddle pad for my daughter when she was potty-training and liked it. Except I couldn't figure out why the pad shed so much.
Wool is absorbent, but absorbs very slowly. Because of the body heat of your baby, and the warmth of the wool, it also evaporates, and this happens at the same rate as it absorbs.
When evaporation takes place, the wet is turned into gasses. Most people think this will be steam, but in fact it's not. Steam is created when evaporated water condenses again, and this happens when the air containing the evaporated gasses, hits something cold, and there is enough wet in it to saturate the air. (This is called the dew point)
If you have a PUL wrap, the inside of the PUL will not let the wet get any further, so the amount of evaporated gasses builds up, and also because PUL has a cold feel, the saturated air will cause wet to condense again, and get absorbed back into the nappy. This doesn't happen with wool, because it is warm, and can breath, so "dew point" is never reached, and the gasses continue one their journey, unrestricted by the wool , baby clothes, bedding etc. It will finally condense possiby when it hits the window of your baby's room in winter, but basically the amount of wet in the air never gets high enough to cause a dew point.

You just change the soaker at every nappy change, but hang it to air before re-using, SO you can manage with 2, just alternating at each change, but 3 is better, as it gives you a spare for when they get soiled our need washing
Old 06-16-2014, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
How many depends on what you're putting under it. If it is PFs, then you want 4 covers per 12 PFs. If it is fitteds, then 3 covers per 12 PFs.
Are those numbers because using PFs means the covers need to be cleaned more often, or..?

I'm probably going to stick to the flats we already have.

#2 due December 2014!
Old 06-16-2014, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You just change the soaker at every nappy change, but hang it to air before re-using, SO you can manage with 2, just alternating at each change, but 3 is better, as it gives you a spare for when they get soiled our need washing
How long do you need to air dry soakers for? I remember my dd peeing 2-3 times an hour until around 6 months.

#2 due December 2014!
Old 06-16-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
How long do you need to air dry soakers for? I remember my dd peeing 2-3 times an hour until around 6 months.
Normally just between changes. they don't usual even feel damp when they come off, but wool absorbs 30% of it's own weight in wet, before it actually feels wet. So even an hour airing is fine, unless it actually feels damp. If t feels damp, it depends on the air temperature, but a couple of hours on a warm room should be plenty, even then.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Are those numbers because using PFs means the covers need to be cleaned more often, or..?

I'm probably going to stick to the flats we already have.
Yes, it's because fitteds often do a better job of keeping poop off the cover, though a PF or flat with jellyrolled edges is also great.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:00 AM

Actually, I find terry squares work as well if not better at containment than fitteds, as long as you tuck up a bit around the top of each leg, and use a bias fold like the kite.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Actually, I find terry squares work as well if not better at containment than fitteds, as long as you tuck up a bit around the top of each leg, and use a bias fold like the kite.
Thanks for this tip. What do you think of one-size wool wrap covers?

#2 due December 2014!
Old 06-21-2014, 10:21 AM

They're great - a bit bulky on a newborn, but they work, and are a really good budget option. I prefer knitted or crocheted ones to felted wraps myself, as I don't like elastic, but if you can get upcycled ones, they are a good eco-friendly option as well.

User Tag List