Mothering Forum banner

wool soakers/longies

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Galatea 
#1 ·
I'm looking into using wool for covers with flats for my second baby. I'm hoping to get some suggestions on brands/sellers/makers/types. I've noticed a wide range of wool types and prices online and wondering what's reasonable to spend, and which ones are better quality.

#2 ·
I prefer hand knitted or crocheted single layer ones. If you can knit or crochet, or know someone who can, you can make your own really easily. There are loads of free patterns if you google. Just make sure you use 100% wool and/or alpaca, and that it's not machine washable wool. I like light worsted weight rather than chunky or aran weight arms, as they are slimmer fitting, but work just as well. Personally I don't like the Disana or Popolini ones, as they are double layer, and just don't seem to work as well as single lyre, and seem to take a lot more lanolising than hand knitted.

You can also use felted wool (old sweaters which have been felted, but again, make sure they're not marked as machine washable) and sew them, but I like the stretchiness of knitted/crocheted ones, and the fact that there's no elastic involved.

#3 ·
What kinds of soakers/covers work best for newborns and up? I'm hoping to find some one-size covers but there aren't that many options. I wish I could make my own but unfortunately don't know how to knit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.