wool soakers/longies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-16-2014, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
wool soakers/longies

I'm looking into using wool for covers with flats for my second baby. I'm hoping to get some suggestions on brands/sellers/makers/types. I've noticed a wide range of wool types and prices online and wondering what's reasonable to spend, and which ones are better quality.

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#2 of 5 Old 06-16-2014, 11:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I prefer hand knitted or crocheted single layer ones. If you can knit or crochet, or know someone who can, you can make your own really easily. There are loads of free patterns if you google. Just make sure you use 100% wool and/or alpaca, and that it's not machine washable wool. I like light worsted weight rather than chunky or aran weight arms, as they are slimmer fitting, but work just as well. Personally I don't like the Disana or Popolini ones, as they are double layer, and just don't seem to work as well as single lyre, and seem to take a lot more lanolising than hand knitted.

You can also use felted wool (old sweaters which have been felted, but again, make sure they're not marked as machine washable) and sew them, but I like the stretchiness of knitted/crocheted ones, and the fact that there's no elastic involved.
#3 of 5 Old 07-14-2014, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

What kinds of soakers/covers work best for newborns and up? I'm hoping to find some one-size covers but there aren't that many options. I wish I could make my own but unfortunately don't know how to knit.

#2 due December 2014!
#4 of 5 Old 07-15-2014, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Another question-- if you use wool soakers/longies, what kind of tops do you use for newborns?

#2 due December 2014!
#5 of 5 Old 07-15-2014, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Green Mountain Diapers has great info on wool and some good choices. http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/wool.html I really liked the Babee Greens cover, but you can't use that until the cord stump falls off. Babee Greens also makes up cycled longies.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page