cloth vs. no cloth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-14-2014, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
cloth vs. no cloth

hey mamas -- im almost here with my 3rd and i'm contemplating on whether or not i should try cloth diapers..

anyone has experience with cloth? what are the pros and cons?

~ I am obsessed with car seat safety and advice on the best car seats!

Love you all!!
Kaitlyn R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-24-2014, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would do a combination of cloth diapering and disposables (overnights and outings in disposables…7th Generation are not crazy-wicking and are pretty benign against the skin) - and elimination communication (EC), which is infant pottying and can be done from birth to 18 months (usually completion is achieved by 14-18 months). EC is what people do in countries where cloth or disposable diapers aren't common. EC is a great way to avoid poopy diapers, working off your baby's innate instincts to signal when they need to go. I teach parents how to start EC in the easiest way, even part time, and I can tell you that it is the BEST compliment to cloth diapering EVER…as you don't ever have to dump poop off those CDs into the toilet…or clearn blow-outs. Very, very rarely do my readers have to do this, and I personally have rarely had to. Good luck and congrats!!

Andrea Olson, DS 2.5 yrs, DD due 10/9/13

Author | EC Simplified: Infant Potty Training Made Easy

Owner | GoDiaperFree.com

[I teach parents of 0-20 month old babies how to stop diapering
full-time and how to avoid...

#3 of 4 Old 09-24-2014, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I use cloth diapers, and I use disposables when leaving the house for more than what I will expect a slight wet diaper. (not very often) I also use disposables at night, once the baby starts sleeping a very long stretch (different for all of them) so I don't have a baby waking up because of wet diapers. It's a good blend for us. I did exclusively cloth diaper my first entirely with no disposables ever (and that was with pre-folds and flats, rubber pants and diaper pins, LOL!) and some of my earlier children. Now it's a blend.

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 8: 17 (our 1st homeschool graduate!), 12, 11, 9, 5, 4, 2 and with blessing #9 and #10 due to arrive April 2015

#4 of 4 Old 10-03-2014, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I use cloth diapers only, except for rare occasions on a long trip (3+ days) or to clear up a persistent rash. I consider disposables to be inferior fake diapers; they leak and smell bad, and then there's all that garbage to deal with. I work full-time outside the home, but I'm able to cope with the laundry. I'll admit that the diaper bag is bulky and heavy when you're carrying enough cloth for a whole day, but I feel it's worthwhile for the comfy, cute diapers and the environmental and money savings. Here is lots of detail on how we do cloth:
http://articles.earthlingshandbook.o...or-our-family/

In contrast to the replies above, I cannot imagine choosing disposables over cloth specifically for leaving the house or for overnight. To me, the convenience of not having to carry home the used diapers is far outweighed by nervousness over whether the fake diaper is going to blow out. (I finally realized, with my second baby, I could put the waterproof cloth-diaper cover over a disposable, too, to contain the poop.) At night, I add layers of cloth to the diaper (doublers) so it absorbs well enough that the wetness doesn't wake the baby, and I'd much rather do that than use the superabsorbent disposable gel that may not be safe.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page