Mothering Forum banner

Best solution for older bedwetter?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Littlepants 
#1 ·
Not sure this is the best forum for this question, but I'll start here. DD is 4.5 and not even close to night-time trained. I've started buying her Goodnights disposables to replace regular diapers, so as we DO approach this challenge, at least she can pull them up and down to go potty during the night. However, these are super expensive, wasteful, and I'm almost thinking they're TOO absorbent and just make her feel like she's wearing a diaper. I'm looking for some other alternatives.

I have found the Mother-ease bedwetting pants, and those seem like a great option, but still very absorbent. I'm wondering if anyone has tried using a less absorbent cloth training pant with a wool cover for an older bedwetter? Is there a good waterproof pad that's larger and doesn't pill that I could put under her with cloth trainers so we can just layer her bedding and switch it out easily in the night? Any other reusable solutions for bedwetters?

#4 ·
I'm actually in the same position right now. I've been using Mother-ease Sandy's diapers (because they come in larger sizes and work like a pull up) with a wool cover. This works fine for absorbancy, and he knows when he is wet. It often wakes him up. The problem I started having was that I'm not able to get them clean enough. And they started to irritate his skin. So, now I'm using disposables and totally over it after 2 packs.

So, now I'm planning to buy a few waterproof mats like the one katelove mentioned and have him wear underwear at night. These look nice, but they seem much more expensive than others I've found. I've found others that are around $12. Can you tell me why they would be so much more expensive. I know that quality can vary, but if it does the job...?

Are these especially great?

#7 ·
I used to put a waterproof cot sheet, topped with a large bath sheet towel and then a cotton cot sheet over the bottom sheet of the bed, the whole lot as a draw sheet. I left LO's with NOTHING on bottom half, and a potty beside the bed. They used to get out and wee in the night, but didn't remember doing it in the morning. On the odd accident, all I had to do was take the draw sheet combo off, and there was a dry bedding underneath, so even in the middle of the night it was no hassle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.