How to get the stink out - Mothering Forums

#1 of 10 Old 08-25-2014, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How to get the stink out

We use cotton flats with wool covers on our daughter. Lately, the flats smell like cat pee after she has peed in them. I just think her urine smells stronger these days (17 months), but my husband says it's the diapers. Even though they don't stink after we wash and dry them, he thinks they store up unsmellable stink until they get peed on again and begin to emit the old stink plus the new stink. Make sense?!

Any suggestions for us to get the stink out? I use soap nuts as laundry detergent. Should I add baking soda or something else in the wash each time? I don't want to use harsh chemicals.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 08-26-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

...Anyone?
#3 of 10 Old 08-27-2014, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 529 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Natural detergents

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#4 of 10 Old 08-27-2014, 08:37 PM

Stripping with no hot water?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#5 of 10 Old 08-27-2014, 08:53 PM

#6 of 10 Old 03-31-2015, 01:06 PM

When your diaper have a 'litterbox' or 'barn-smell' it's because they are not getting completely sanitized in the wash.

Poop has a chemical called urease which reacts immediately with a chemical in pee called urea. When urease is left behind after washing, the moment it comes into contact with pee you get a chemical reaction that immediately produces ammonia. Mother nature's way of breaking down barnyard waste.

The solution is to dial in the wash routine. Common solutions are:

1) Proper dosing detergents. Diaper manufacturers know detergents take a toll on fabrics so they often recommend low dosing to extend their product's life. Low dosing=low-cleansing, always follow the instructions on the detergent box/bottle -- not the diaper.

2) If you have hard water, you might need to change to a big-box-brand. Botique detergents are quite capable in soft water, but most perform poorly in moderate to hard water situations.

3) Tumble dry. Tumble drying mechanically loosens particles left behind after washing, the heat also helps kill off any residual bacteria that may be in the diaper.
#7 of 10 Old 05-07-2015, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Those links that were posted are great - I recently had the same issue with my diapers, and decided to switch detergents (using Planet Ultra now) and got rid of my HE front loading washer. I found an old top-loading agitator washer on Craigslist that has a warm rinse option - the best for washing cloth diapers. It uses a lot of water, but it beats having to use disposables while trying to battle ammonia in the diaps which isn't pleasant for anyone, and isn't good for baby's skin.

I have been CDing for a year and a half and when I got my machine. I stripped all my diapers (just running them in a few hot cycles) and it was INCREDIBLE the amount of gunk that came out - dirty water, soap bubbles, all buildup that had been trapped in the diapers.

I also got rid of all my microfiber and am only using natural fabrics - cotton, bamboo, hemp (and wool, but that doesn't go in the washer! )

Wife to DH, stay at home mama to DD (10.01.13)!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MTHFR Homo C677T

DD born 10.13

Expecting another rainbow 9.16.15!

#8 of 10 Old 05-23-2015, 05:03 AM

the moment it comes into contact with pee you get a chemical reaction that immediately produces ammonia. Mother nature's way of breaking down barnyard waste.
#9 of 10 Old 05-25-2015, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I always fill it up to the third line or even more. Actually now that I think about it I don't really notice the diapers stinking when they first come out of the wash. But once they're wet they smell really awful. Does that make sense?

Your happy ending may not be what you expect. That is what will make it so special.
#10 of 10 Old 05-26-2015, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I know exactly what you mean. I have had that smell come and go at times, can't say for sure if it's babys diet or my washing habits. BUT I think I have been avoiding it with this:
1) my usual washing plan involves a rinse with no soap, etc first- we have a HE washer and this makes sure everything is wet enough and gets the majority of the gross off before the real washing begins. Then in the wash I use soap, borax (controversial, I know), and a scoop of baking soda, and then vinegar in the fabric softener cup. The baking soda-vinegar thing usually does the trick.
2) every once in a while, if things seem stinky, I add non-chlorine bleach- which is like high strength hydrogen peroxide.

With this I have had much better luck. But I also think DD2 has less stinky pee than DD1.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page