Does acrylic breathe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-22-2004, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Grandma and I are working on a bunch of soakers right now for dd and we are doing both wool and acrylic because each has their benefits but the thing that I like aobut soakers the most is knowing that dd's little butt can breathe. Is acrylic breathable? If it isn't I will totally spend more time on wool and forget about it...Thanks for your help!
#2 of 8 Old 05-23-2004, 12:00 AM

are you knitting or crocheting?

either way should breath, but if you are crocheting the acrylic will breath more than knitting.
#3 of 8 Old 05-23-2004, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

We're knitting....
#4 of 8 Old 05-23-2004, 12:02 AM

probably not as much as wool, but some.
#5 of 8 Old 05-23-2004, 02:54 AM

Acrylic is not a breathable material like other synthetics but the process of knitting and crochet will give it some breathability just because of the looseness of the weave. It would still be more breathable than say PUL/plastic covers.

Wool and cotton are breathable. So wool plus the process of knitting/crochet makes it very breathable! (Cotton wicks plus doesn't have the anti-bacterial properties that wool does so it wouldn't be a good choice for soakers).

The benefit of acrylic yarn would be the softness, the price (it can be very cheap), and it doesn't pill like wool does. The cons other than breathability would be that you have to wash it regularly. I also think it wouldn't be quite as absorbant as wool, or hold the moisture in as wool does. Wool is super absorbant.
#6 of 8 Old 05-23-2004, 02:57 AM

Not as well as wool but it does breathe My lil guy doesn't tolerate covers that don't breathe well, and he does fine with acrylic.
#7 of 8 Old 05-23-2004, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

So glad to hear that acrylic is okay...I just can't resist the price and the awesome colour selection, not to mention the ease of care! I will definitely do up a couple of wool soakers too though. Thanks Mamas!
#8 of 8 Old 05-23-2004, 06:43 PM

As soakers are made with yarn which is made of lots of fibers, there will always be air trapped in between them to some degree. Probsbly not as much as wool, but some. I love our acrylic ones as it so easyto care for, and looks so good just out of the machine. And it wworks at night much better than her wool ones, I think becuase she sleeps on a sheepskin and the 2 forms of wool together cause wicking???

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page