Canadian products not available in the US? (and loving DA :) ) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 77 Old 06-02-2004, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to go home this thread has made me so homesick.
Janessa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 77 Old 06-02-2004, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janessa
I want to go home this thread has made me so homesick.
Janessa
We'll take you back!!!

We need more taxpayers...thanks to the Liberals. .
#63 of 77 Old 06-02-2004, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen
Orange kit kats??
They are very yummy! I have only seen them at the closeout stores though.
#64 of 77 Old 06-03-2004, 09:06 AM

Yes! Orange Kit Kats! You can find them in specialty candy stores. I think they might be British imports...they taste like those chocolate oranges. Yum.

I think some enterprising WAHM should design a Don Cherry tribute line of diapers! Can you imagine? Lots of plaid and garish colours.
#65 of 77 Old 06-03-2004, 09:57 AM

Don Cherry dipes. My hub would be in heaven. Something to thing about....

Please don't tell me Krispy Kremes are better than Tim's donuts. You could freeze a Tim's, defrost it, jump up and down on it and run it through the landfill and it would STILL be better than a KK!

Mmmmm shreddies. Like Life cereal only MUCH more backbone.

English chocolate chocolate rocks. So does South African. Maybe it's just the different taste. You poor Americans sure get the short end of the stick on that. I can't believe you can't send candy to the US! I'm ALWAYS sending smaries to my sis in Texas!

Having chocolate for breakfast as we speak...
#66 of 77 Old 06-03-2004, 10:29 AM

If some kid in high school is gonna be doing an essay or research paper on Don Cherry, and he types that into google, and google picks up this thread, and OMG!! Poor kid is gonna go WTH?!??

This thread made me very homesick too. And I appologize to the OP for having part in the fact that this is totally off topic.
#67 of 77 Old 06-03-2004, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzybee
LOL. I was thinking "hey, I live here, I think I *know* what it costs "
But I gotcha

What kills me about the States is that no one really cares about hockey! Everything is about football - like I care to see men in tights.
I sooooooo miss Hockey night in Canada Saturday nights!!
I so love hocky! It is the ONLY sport I like. I wish we had enough cash for season passes for the family! BUt that would be $2300. YIKES!
#68 of 77 Old 06-03-2004, 05:40 PM

Okay, Canucks...if you want to know what US Smarties are....they are "love tarts"...you know those little candies you get with the hearts on them and silly sayings like "be mine" or "you're cute"...etc...that is what Smarties are here.

And I sooooo agree with the chocolate thing. Chocolate here is powdery, and hershey's is the worst for that. Bite into a Kiss and it's powdery when you look at where you bit!

I will say, that Dove bars are lovely chocolate. But nothign at all like Cadbury's or Purdy's, mmmmmm.

Corn pops are sort of flat here, and they aren't very crunchy. In Canada they are perfectly round and they are very crunchy. They taste different. I had begged DH to get me some one day, he protested about buying me "junk cereal", then when he comes home I'm like "these don't look right...", LOL.

As for McDonald's, the McChicken is different here. Don't ask me why - they look the same, but they sure don't taste the same! The shakes are better though - I think back home they have some yogurt in them or something...the ones here seem creamier to me.

I used to be so upset as a kid that we couldn't get lucky charms, and all the marshmallow cereals they got in the US.

Some places in the US say "pop", others say "soda". It's a regional thing.

I get teased for calling an ATM a "bank machine", or asking if a store takes "Interac" (the canadian version of a debit card).

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#69 of 77 Old 06-03-2004, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68
Okay, Canucks...if you want to know what US Smarties are....they are "love tarts"...you know those little candies you get with the hearts on them and silly sayings like "be mine" or "you're cute"...etc...that is what Smarties are here.
Aaaaaah!

Quote:
I used to be so upset as a kid that we couldn't get lucky charms, and all the marshmallow cereals they got in the US.
We had lucky charms and I think alphabits with marshmallows in them when I was little....

Quote:
I get teased for calling an ATM a "bank machine", or asking if a store takes "Interac" (the canadian version of a debit card).
I remember getting looked at like I had two heads in a store in a mall in the US (quite a few years ago, when I was in HS) when I gave my bank card to pay.... The cashier directed me to the machine in the hall. I said, oh, you don't take it in the store, and she looked at me like I was crazy. I think we had them in the stores before they did in the US.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#70 of 77 Old 06-03-2004, 05:51 PM

Quote:
The cashier directed me to the machine in the hall. I said, oh, you don't take it in the store, and she looked at me like I was crazy. I think we had them in the stores before they did in the US.
Been there too!!

Quote:
hershey's is the worst
No way dude!! Hershey's rocks!
#71 of 77 Old 06-03-2004, 05:56 PM

It's true - I used to live in a border town and in the US they always were like, "Oh a credit card" and tried to run it thru. Um, no.
We don't have the marshmallow Alphabits anymore and it's so sad. When I was a kid we did.
The BIG difference between fast food chicken in Canada and the US is that in Canada it's always white meat. Not so in the US, in my experience.
#72 of 77 Old 06-03-2004, 05:59 PM

oh, i wish we had love tarts. Our heart candies here w/messages on them are NASTY. I don't know why they insist on putting them out every valentines b/c I can't imagine anyone eating them. My 5 yr old even refuses them.
#73 of 77 Old 06-06-2004, 09:04 AM

I just came up with something that you can't get in the US--diclectin! My SIL moved when she was preggo, and she had morning sickness (all day sickness to be exact) basically for nine months. She went to the doc down there when her diclectin was running out and he said "oh, you'd better ration those, you won't be getting them down here"! I mailed her the remainder of my prescription (I know, bad bad bad!).

Alison
#74 of 77 Old 06-06-2004, 09:05 AM

Where's the mommy who makes her own gripe water?
What's the recipe?
#75 of 77 Old 06-06-2004, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzybee
If some kid in high school is gonna be doing an essay or research paper on Don Cherry, and he types that into google, and google picks up this thread, and OMG!! Poor kid is gonna go WTH?!??
If some kid in high school is doing an essay on Don Cherry, s/he's got bigger problems than figuring out what we're about!
#76 of 77 Old 06-06-2004, 11:31 AM

I think you can only get Ziploc vegetable bags in Canada. They used to have them in the US but took them off the shelves because of a "marketing" issues--- YEAH the vegetables last longer so the grocery stores don't sell out of them.
#77 of 77 Old 06-06-2004, 11:32 AM

My sister was just saying that there is no Cookie Crisp cereal in Canada.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page