Canadian products not available in the US? (and loving DA :) ) - Mothering Forums
1 2  3 
Diapering > Canadian products not available in the US? (and loving DA :) )
Porphy's Avatar Porphy 03:37 AM 06-02-2004
I really want to thank lolov for sending me some DA to try! My MEOS (that I bought used and were never very soft) are finally soft! YAY!! Hopefully it will last awhile so I won't have to worry about getting more for some time I noticed it even softened up some of my other diaper items like my cpfs which I didn't think could get that soft...needless to say I am thrilled!!!

Now here is my question...

There seem to be so many cloth diaper related products available in the US only that I was wondering are there any similarly sought after products that are only available in Canada only?

TOmomma's Avatar TOmomma 10:54 AM 06-02-2004
smarties. shreddies and tim horton donuts, but those are only sort of diapering related
Mavournin's Avatar Mavournin 11:02 AM 06-02-2004
Mmm.. Tim Hortons.... If only Canada were closer.....

Sorry - way OT I know, but it's breakfast time and I haven't eaten yet!
kimberlylibby's Avatar kimberlylibby 11:04 AM 06-02-2004
Poutine.

Drool.
Nada's Avatar Nada 11:08 AM 06-02-2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlylibby
Poutine.

Drool.
Count me in on that one!!! I poutine!!!

To answer the OP's question... I don't think there are any sought after diapering products available in Canada ONLY. But there are some canadian WAHMs that make sought after diapers... but they are available in the US too.

Nada
Alkenny's Avatar Alkenny 11:19 AM 06-02-2004
We have Tim Horton's here in Ohio now! Slowly but surely! YAY!
Brisen's Avatar Brisen 11:57 AM 06-02-2004
No smarties in the US? I never knew.

I've heard that Kinder Eggs aren't in the US...
Jacobsquiltingmommy's Avatar Jacobsquiltingmommy 12:32 PM 06-02-2004
I *think* ketchup chips are only available in Canada.... and Coffee Crisps My uncle gets us to ship them to him in AZ. YUMMY!

Crystal
bluey's Avatar bluey 12:34 PM 06-02-2004
smarties? Really? I had no idea
DreamingMama's Avatar DreamingMama 12:48 PM 06-02-2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOmomma
smarties. shreddies and tim horton donuts, but those are only sort of diapering related
LOL! At Tim Hortons, Gosh I need a donut and a coffee.
TOmomma's Avatar TOmomma 01:28 PM 06-02-2004
OK, to get back on topic...

I've looked everywhere and can't find sportwash or RLR.

Having severe donut cravings....
DreamingMama's Avatar DreamingMama 01:44 PM 06-02-2004
we do not get the cool stuff the American mommys get. I have no idea why either because we are on the same continent and there are so many US stores up here in Canada it is not even funny. Canada has weird regulations on this and that and everything. Boogers!
Piffle's Avatar Piffle 01:45 PM 06-02-2004
Someone told me cheese whiz is only available in Canada?
jmofarrill's Avatar jmofarrill 01:49 PM 06-02-2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porphy
There seem to be so many cloth diaper related products available in the US only that I was wondering are there any similarly sought after products that are only available in Canada only?
mmmmmm..... Coffee Crisp
Brisen's Avatar Brisen 02:02 PM 06-02-2004
Not really diaper related, but my understanding is that growth hormones (for dairy cattle use or people use) aren't allowed into Canada, or are more regulated, at any rate. It was back in HS biology that I learned about the cow thing, so that may be different now, and it was while looking for lanolin online that I saw shipping restriction information about the growth hormone thing. It was a US vitamin/supplement company, growth hormones were one of the restricted items, though I think it was OK with a Dr sig and some paperwork.
mthomas's Avatar mthomas 02:06 PM 06-02-2004
smarties? Like the little candies? Coffee Crisps sound good - are they cookies? And what Poutine and shreddies? It canadian education day
Alkenny's Avatar Alkenny 02:14 PM 06-02-2004
We've got Cheese Whiz in the US...Smarties in Canada are different than in the US. Canadian smarties are kind of like M&M's (candy coated chocolate) whereas the ones in the US are the little fruity/tangy sugary things.

Back on topic...it was my understanding that cd'ing supplies were more readily available in Canada than the US. More brick and mortar stores carry supplies etc, than around here.
bwylde's Avatar bwylde 02:16 PM 06-02-2004
Smarties are like M&M's only better!!! Coffee Crisps are chocolate bars with layers of wafer, chocolate and coffe flavored cream (you can get other flavors too like French Vanilla and Mocha). Poutine is fries with melted cheese curds and poutine sauce (some places use gravy; I've also seen pizza poutine and some others I can't think of). Shreddies are little shredded wheat squares, less than an inch and really good and crunchy. Yumm, all this food talk is making me hungry!!!
gingerlane's Avatar gingerlane 02:16 PM 06-02-2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffle
Someone told me cheese whiz is only available in Canada?
Ah no. Cheese whiz is one of the poster child foods of the American white trash diet (Oh, I'm gonna make someone mad with that, aren't I?) Well, that's the cliche, anyway!
bwylde's Avatar bwylde 02:23 PM 06-02-2004
http://www.canadaonly.ca/canadaonly.ca/market/cereals/ Wow, I didn't realize a lot of this was in Canada only!
mthomas's Avatar mthomas 02:26 PM 06-02-2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwylde
http://www.canadaonly.ca/canadaonly.ca/market/cereals/ Wow, I didn't realize a lot of this was in Canada only!
I think it's just all produced in CA. Because I have a box of corn pops sitting on my counter right now...unless your cornpops are different a la smaties
minicooper's Avatar minicooper 02:30 PM 06-02-2004
Off topic but the Toyota Echo Hatchback is only available in Canada

I totally hear you about the cool stuff available in the US! I bought my ultimate baby wrap in CT... and I know once I get to buy diapers I'll prolly be buying from some US mamas

From my limited experience buying fabric... to make diapers... we are very limited here in that department as well
Sisyphus's Avatar Sisyphus 02:34 PM 06-02-2004
Hey! ANy chance you can get Heinz Curry Ketchup in Canada????? I buy a TON of it whenever we go overseas and have finally run out You can't get that here in the good ol' USofA...

If anyone can get it and send it to me, I'dbe TOTALLY in your debt!!!

Lo
Piglet68's Avatar Piglet68 02:35 PM 06-02-2004
US corn pops are different than Canadian ones. Ask me how I know!!

I don't know of any Canadian diapering mamas that don't ship to the US. But both El Bee and Freshies dipes are Canadian, and let's not forget the new hyena bait: LuxeBaby.
minicooper's Avatar minicooper 02:41 PM 06-02-2004
How DO you know???? lmao
mthomas's Avatar mthomas 02:50 PM 06-02-2004
yes...do tell... and now I want some Coffee Crisps....those sound really really good.

I just went to www.canadiantreats.com and saw that they also have kitkats...what diff abt those and US kitkats?
MamaDaednu's Avatar MamaDaednu 03:15 PM 06-02-2004
Oh no people! You're making me feel so homesick.
I'm not allowed out of the country right now. I really need INS to get a shift on so we can visit back home.

Things I have my mum send me because I can't get them here: Downy vanilla sheets, Laura Secord chocolate, VH sauce, Kraft peanut butter.

Tim Hortons sucks. I used to love them. Even relish coming home to them. But I'm ticked with them ever since they started defrosting doughnuts instead of baking them fresh every morning.
I miss poutine from a greasy chip truck. Thank the gods, I've found a place in Seattle that does FRESH cheese curds, so I can make poutine at home. But it's still not the same.

Oh, and the difference between Canadian chocolate bars and US chocolate bars is quality. The Canadian ones are less waxy. And British ones are less waxy than Canadian chocolate bars.

~Daednu
Izzybee's Avatar Izzybee 03:19 PM 06-02-2004
T
You know what's funny? Teddy Grahams in Canada are made by Christie, and in the US they're made by Nabisco. I know for a fact there was a Nabisco plant somewhere in the Niagara Falls area (don't know if that's still so)
What gives?!?
And get this! Gripe water, that you buy at Walmart for $2.97 a bottle, in the US you can find usually only at healt food stores for around $12! YIKES!

Oh, and if you're from Canada, and get further down into the states, DO NOT ask for a "pop" if you're out, and DO NOT say "Kraft Dinner"
.....man, I took a lot of abuse when I first moved!
mthomas's Avatar mthomas 03:24 PM 06-02-2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzybee
T

Oh, and if you're from Canada, and get further down into the states, DO NOT ask for a "pop" if you're out, and DO NOT say "Kraft Dinner"
.....man, I took a lot of abuse when I first moved!
lol - i say pop so dont feel bad...what's a kraft dinner?
Izzybee's Avatar Izzybee 03:26 PM 06-02-2004
Quote:
what's a kraft dinner?
Macaroni and cheese. I got made fun of that FOREVER!!
1 2  3 

Up