Coming Clean: Stash Part 1 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 73 Old 06-11-2004, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! If that is only part one, you arent kidding about having a HUGE stash!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 73 Old 06-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Ok

Can I show dh your stash? Then maybe he won't roll his eyes at my diapers that trickle in the door.

Its such a beautiful and artistic stash. I know letting them go would be hard. But what are you going to do when all the school stuff comes and starts crowding the space? I'm really not saying this right b/c I really just want to give a hug and say "congrats on looking Reality in the face." I salve my buying aches sometimes by just taking oodles of digital pictures and playing with webpages and such and that fills my time and helps me get away from buying frenzies. Or I go to Goodwill and shop and have a mondo $15 spending spree. Hope you find some answers to fill the void.

((hugs)) and best wishes. And please stay!
#63 of 73 Old 06-11-2004, 01:49 PM

wow, now that's one impressive stash...that said, if it was putting *me* in financial ruin to have all those beautiful stash it wouldn't take me long to get on the wagon! yk, you could always join us at the sewing board and start sewing your own! you get a fix for less that way, but watch out for the fabric obsession...sigh...lol...anyways, after seeing jenninseattle's total of part one (80ish dipes/covers/aios) i'm extremely green regardless lol! i don't have that many in my combined nb-xlg stash for two kids!
#64 of 73 Old 06-11-2004, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSugarKane
Well with you around telling me that Muttaqin stocked and that there are SOS left how am I suppossed to control myself :
They need a special forum here for stockings! That way if we don't want to know, we won't go there!
#65 of 73 Old 06-11-2004, 02:17 PM

Jamie,

I just wanted to send you some and tell you that it CAN get better. I ought to know since I think I am one of the poster children for compulsive spending <sigh>.

You have no idea how hard it was to finally admit that perhaps the fact that DH and I had $20,000 in credit card debt might possibly indicate a tiny problem (and the sad fact of it is that 90% of that is my fault )

DH and I decided to go see a debt counsellor and that was truly scary. Having it all laid out in front of us (we only went to get some advice and he looked at it and said "uh guys...no way are you gonna get out of this without some serious help")

We decided to work with the credit card counsellor and he called all of our credit cards and got our interest reduced to 0%. We pay $395 a month for the next 4 years and then we will be credit card debt free. It didn't cost us anything to do this because the credit counselling agency is paid by the cc companies (I guess there are more of me than I thought since the cc companies consider this a valuable service...<big sigh again>)

I feel like a total schmuck revealing all of this here...but I figure if I can help someone else than maybe this will serve some sort of purpose YK? We have now officially paid off $5000 of the $20,000 and that feels amazing. But it hasn't been easy. We had to give up ALL of our credit cards. We can't get a bigger house until we are out of credit card counselling for a year so that means we are stuck in this tiny house for at least 4 more years. I sure hope our car holds out that long because if we do need a new one we will probably pay through the nose with interest.

I found that for me shopping was a way of shovelling my feelings about other things in my life that were ticking me off or making me sad. Rather than deal with the actually source of the problem I would go out and spend. I am not "cured" yet by any means but it is getting better and because I have no credit I can only dig so far when I start to fall off the wagon.

The very worst thing is that I am having to work full-time contracts (6 months a year) because I can't afford to stay home. Nothing like looking your child in the eye and telling them that things took precedence over your desire to be home with him .

It is a REAL problem and you can get help for it. It doesn't make you a bad person. For some people it is drugs or alcohol or gambling and for others it is things like shopping...but they are all distructive and can cause serious problems in your life if you let them take over.

I'm really REALLY proud of you for admitting you have a problem. It is a very hard thing to do! You can get better though Jamie. I know you may not believe that at this moment but there can be a time when no one is hunting you down for money. And you will be able to look your little guy in the eye and say "yup I had a problem but I faced it head on and I conquered it one step at a time". Its hard...but it is worth it. If you want to talk any time about it please feel free to email or PM me.

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#66 of 73 Old 06-11-2004, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaper_Addict_Jen
They need a special forum here for stockings! That way if we don't want to know, we won't go there!
That's actually a REALLY good idea!
#67 of 73 Old 06-11-2004, 02:27 PM

nak but good for you jamie. i am guilty of compulsive CD buying and took a month off but am back in action and really need to knock it off. it aint easy and i wish i had a solution (for both of us.)

on a lighter note, i plan to host a CD party next month amd hope you can make it. i am in sac!

we can call it an mdc party, not cd-party!
#68 of 73 Old 06-11-2004, 02:43 PM

Steph--

That was really good of you to share that-- and congratulations on paying off $5,000!!!
#69 of 73 Old 06-11-2004, 03:26 PM

Well, if it makes you feel better...

I have 79 premium prefolds. I first got bleached CPF, so I had to try unbleached. Then, I had to get Indian. Then I wanted to try just one 4x6x4 CPF, and then I wanted to see how small the gerbers were(thinking about newborn stashes). Now, I need to sell 4 dozen of these, but I have not had the time(need to stain check, etc. look for them in the trading post soon, LOL), so I am hiding 4 dozen of these from DH. Daily, I stop myself from ordering 24 4x6x4 cause I really like the sample I have.
#70 of 73 Old 06-11-2004, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I don't mind the joking , it's what keeps me from losing my mind.But all jokes aside it is a serious problem.I have over $20,000 in cc debt myself.I can't even keep up with the min. payments anymore.I am thinking that I really need to just get away from the computer for awhile.The first thing I did when I got up was run over to SOS.Luckily they were all sold out.I am having such a hard time deciding what diapers to sell.I keep telling myself they are only diapers but it doesn't help.Anyway thanks for all your support , I you guys.Hopefully my next stash pics will be smaller as I am off to send stuff to the TP.
#71 of 73 Old 06-11-2004, 03:32 PM

Wow Jamie,

Those are really beautiful diapers. I just wanted to send you some hugs and let you know you are not alone. I come into this forum and see these great diapers and just have to try one. Now once again I have more than we need. I also am upset at all the money I have spent. And I too shop out of boredom and as a way not to face what I need to be doing in my life.

I'll hop on the wagon with you. I have an order to place at Valor Kids and then my Elbee number many months from now so I need to get saving. But other than those I better not buy anything else.

I really have been enjoying haveing a few of or one of the diapers we really like rather than just all of one kind.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want to chat or buddy up.

Christi
DS1(12), DD(7)blessed with T21, DS2(2), and DD2 - newly arrived 1/28/11
#72 of 73 Old 06-11-2004, 03:45 PM

jamie- i think it's great that you have admitted a weakness for over buying and why. in all honesty, if dipes are the only item you are over buying like this, maybe you should stay away from the computer for a while. i think talking to a debt counselor is a great idea. i think you need to sell all but the essentials first. talk to a counselor second and get away from the internet third. maybe find a singles parent support group too.

we're all there for you!!!!!! diapers are just not worth your financial situation or your credit status

hugs to you!!!!!!
#73 of 73 Old 06-11-2004, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSugarKane
Thanks everyone. I don't mind the joking , it's what keeps me from losing my mind.But all jokes aside it is a serious problem.I have over $20,000 in cc debt myself.I can't even keep up with the min. payments anymore.I am thinking that I really need to just get away from the computer for awhile.The first thing I did when I got up was run over to SOS.Luckily they were all sold out.I am having such a hard time deciding what diapers to sell.I keep telling myself they are only diapers but it doesn't help.Anyway thanks for all your support , I you guys.Hopefully my next stash pics will be smaller as I am off to send stuff to the TP.
I'm so sorry for taking this so lightly last night. But I am glad that I got you to smile

Please do what you need to do to get back on your feet again - whether it means selling of your dipes, unsubscribing from your yahoo groups, or even not coming back to this forum. Debt is a heavy weight that will feel so much better once it starts to be lifted off of your shoulders. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page