Where to begin????? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 06-14-2004, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK girls,

I am pregnant and due August 11th with a little boy. My dd is 8 and with school, work & the commute, I never would have even considered using cd's with her. But with this one, I am looking at possibly staying home full time with him, so both the $$ and time factors are better for cd's. The extent of my cd experience is changing maybe 1/2 dozen of my 3yo neice's Fuzzi Bunz last summer. I am pretty sure that I am NOT going to want to have to work pins and my dd will be wanting to help out alot, so it needs to be usable for her also. I know that I am not a very patient person when it comes to stuff like this and I am FAR from being a "Suzie Homemaker" type. BUT I want to try!!

Right now I have a few that my dsis gave to me: 3 sm Fuzzi Bunz, 1 sm Angel Luv (looks really small, possibly nb size), 1 sm Cozy N Knit w/ liner, 1 side-snap AIO w/ trifold snap-in liner (looks like a Little Lamb possibly size sm but no label), 1 m Ecology Kids cover, 1 m Especially for Baby (Toys R Us) cover, 1 sm Gerber cover.

What would you girls recommend so that I won't get frustrated too quickly and give up??? What works best for a NB boy? How much of everything do I need? What do I need to get with them to make them work? (i.e. liners, snappis, covers) How exactly do the snappis work? (I can't tell from the pictures how they attach.)

OK that's where I am now!! HELP!!!!!!!!

TIA
TerriKay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-14-2004, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll take the snappi question.

Ever had an ace bandage? You know the little 4-pronged hook at the end that closes up your ace bandage when you put it on your ankle or wrist? That's what the end of a snappi looks like (only a tad bit gentler, and plastic).

It hooks on each end of the "Y" to hold the diaper together.

Kimberly
#3 of 8 Old 06-14-2004, 03:56 PM

Well I have never CD a new born my DS was 4-5 months when i started so i am gonna bump this nad hope the ladies acan help you out........ Good luck and

#4 of 8 Old 06-14-2004, 04:38 PM

I am cding my 1 mo adoptive son. He was born prematurely at 36 weeks. He fits best in a first class baby 0 with an alexis featherlite pull on cover (preemie size) or little lambs aio size newborn. Lots of newborn sizes fit my 7 lb baby though, too. I have kindhearted women small (which is listed on granolamoms as newborn), kissaluv 0 (easy to find), baby luv small (which is too big for this baby, but worked fine for the previous), preemie prefolds, nanipoos newborn fitteds (my majority), and small or newborn not sure valor kids (similar to mollytogs). For covers I have proraps, bummis snap, stacinator newborns, and a few aios for doctor visits.

If I were you, if you plan on cding from the start, prorap newborns have leg gussets and preemie prefolds fold right in. No pins required, and fairly inexpensive. I would get a few xs or newborn size aios for doctors appts as you will be going to them frequently. I like fitted diapers with pull on covers or stacinators if you have more money to spend. They keep the runny poo in really well, and small diapers don't have much fabric to absorb with, so I think they are more absorbant than prefolds. I have some snappis, but I still haven't used them much. I have never pinned.
#5 of 8 Old 06-14-2004, 04:39 PM

Well, I am due Aug 1st and am just finishing putting together my stash. I found that posting questions didn't really seem to help me much, but reading all the threads really did. I looked at all the things people talked about, tried to pay attention to what diapers worked for babes the build I am expecting my little one to be, ect. I did a few orders here and there of 1 cheap diaper so I could figure out what I liked and didn't like. I found one WAHM (Crystals Cloth) who things I really like and she helped me figure a lot of stuff out. What I have ended up doing is making a stash that is 1/3 ubcpf and bummis covers, and 2/3 fitteds (mostly hemp) and wool covers. I have also thrown in a few highly reccomended dipes of different types so I can try a little of everything. That way I will have a great idea of what I really like and what works wonderful for me when it's time to work on the medium sized stash. I have thrown in some pockets, one size dipes, and AIO. Of my non-hemp fitteds I am trying different fabrics such as sherpa, velour, microfleece, ect. I also have made sure to get a few side snapping dipes so I will know which one works better for us.

I'd suggust that you just hang around and read everything you can. Do forum searches of topics you have questions on. I even PM'd one momma to ask some questions about wool. Make sure you include things like doublers and wipes in your planned stash. I've also been getting all the different laundry products I will need for my dipe laundry including a pail. I've even hung a clotheline outside in preperation.

Anyway, I hope that helps, but would be happy to help more if you want to know more about how I've worked on deciding what to buy and where to get it from.
#6 of 8 Old 06-16-2004, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Kimberly for the Snappi explaination. That was one of our thoughts, but we just couldn't tell for sure.

Lena & Alaskanteach, Thanks for the suggestions. I have been trying to read as much as possible, but between still working full time, spending time w/ my family, and TRYING to keep my eyes open at the end of the day, it is hard to sort through the hundreds of posts that show up on this board every day. I am still trying to figure out the difference between a lot of the different types of diapers.

TerriKay
#7 of 8 Old 06-16-2004, 01:06 AM

Depends on your budget. A stash of Happy Heinys (easy aplix) or fuzzibuns would be easy to do but expensive, given your bub will grow out of them very fast and you need so many.

I really found the trifolded prefold laid in a wrap a very very easy, simple and cheap option for the newborn/small period. I've never experienced the explosive breastfed newborn poos everyone talks about, all 3 of mine pood little and often, but if it gets on the cover (we had bumkins covers) so what? You wash it. Just have six or so covers.

I didnt start buying fancier stuff till she was 4 or 5 months old and fitting in mediums
#8 of 8 Old 06-16-2004, 01:39 AM

Just wanted to say Congrats! on your pregnancy, and to tell you that we have a great Pregnancy forum here, too...there are due-date clubs so you can hang out and talk to other mamas due in August!

I'm pregnant, too...I'm just building my newborn stash of diapers! It is so much fun! i recommend www.sugarplumbaby.com for inexpensive, cute fitted diapers. Also, you can check out our Trading Post. People post their gently used diapers there, and it's a great way to build a beautiful stash inexpensively!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page