Can I just say..... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2004, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I personally like to read the fairy posts and the number of them doesn't bother me but maybe we should just have a Diaper Fairy thread each day where everyone can post their fluff to keep the posts down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2004, 01:34 PM

So, umm, I don't mind the "I got this" threads because I love to see what people get....

BUT, I just saw a BLATANT BLATANT BLATANT *fishing for a fairy* thread.

Can we all agree to call eachother out when we see this? Cause that's just cheap and nasty to blatantly ask for something.

Kimberly
Old 06-22-2004, 01:39 PM

Yikes.... I never knew that when I posted about a gorgeous item I was trying not to let myself buy that others may take that as my 'fairy fishing' on the board.... I'll definatly watch what I point to and drool over from now on. I really, really, really don't want anyone to think I am fishing for a gift, ever.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aherne
I admit that I am a little annoyed with the diaper fairy too.

it is taking over the board.

If I share that I am having a bad day, I dont want someone to assume that I am fishing for free stuff. But at the same time has anyone noticed that there is a sudden increase in "feel sorry for me" threads? Are they connected or is the world just going through a be mean to diaper mom phase... or maybe we are all going through a complain phase we need a fishing icon because some people are downright obvious and it is obnoxious.

Even here... she posts that she hates the fairy and people right away assume it is a jelous comment and she just needs to be sent a free something to make her like the fairy. cant buy the fairy love baby

I love your posts mama, they are always so well written and thought out. I have to agree that I have seen way more posts of woes me. I am not innocent for I too was feeling sorry for myself about prefolds I sold off and then managed to do a trade for some with someone here due to my complaining. That said I love being a fairy and try to be one when I can but I only have so much resources and cannot spread the fairy love throughout the entire world. : If I could you know I would but man with all these woes me posts lately I would never be able to keep up with it. The whole point of the fairy is to send a bit of diaper cheer to someone and not because they are broke or they are rich or any reason. But "just cause" the fairy feels like it.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingMama
I love your posts mama, they are always so well written and thought out.
now if only I could learn to spell check and brain check before I post
Old 06-22-2004, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflymom
Yikes.... I never knew that when I posted about a gorgeous item I was trying not to let myself buy that others may take that as my 'fairy fishing' on the board.... I'll definatly watch what I point to and drool over from now on. I really, really, really don't want anyone to think I am fishing for a gift, ever.

I would never want anyone to think I was fishing for anything either. Makes me re-think things I will post though.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlylibby
So, umm, I don't mind the "I got this" threads because I love to see what people get....

BUT, I just saw a BLATANT BLATANT BLATANT *fishing for a fairy* thread.

Can we all agree to call eachother out when we see this? Cause that's just cheap and nasty to blatantly ask for something.

Kimberly
Blatant is different than saying what you want, or drooling over something you want someone else to snag so you don't have to. I think it is obvious when someone is fishing for fairy visits. Sad too, because it takes away from the heart of the whole fairy idea.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

Old 06-22-2004, 01:56 PM

And I do think a lot of it is that the program is new and we're all excited and probably overzealous

When it gets "older" it won't be so crazy
Old 06-22-2004, 01:56 PM

I agree with the poster who said that maybe it could be contained to one thread. Perhaps the first person with a DF thank you could start the thread for the day.

I see lots of threads posted about beautiful items and I love to go and see new things - but when the diaper dramatics take over with lots of crying smilies - that's when I get a negative feeling about the intention of the post. I'm not saying I feel that way about a post that might say "hey check this out - its awesome! boo hoo my paypal is empty" But the ones that are like "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAA I WISH I COULD HAVE THIS DIAPER. My poor baby has to wear a plain old fuzzi bunz" I know we can all get caught up in the hype and we want our babes to have nice things... but sometimes I think we drive away a lot of mamas who are doing this to save $$.

That being said - the original intention of the DF as a random act of kindness is wonderful and I hope the air clears so THAT part of it can continue.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyH
I would never want anyone to think I was fishing for anything either. Makes me re-think things I will post though.
This is actually a great thread, I'm glad people are talking.

I just want to add that before the diaper fairy people would post about being saved from the world's best item all the time and no one thought anything of it other than they wanted to share the coolest soaker/diaper in the world. I don't think you should feel guilty for posting like that.. just put a disclaimer at the bottom if you want to like: "Diaper Fairy please ignore this thread. "

Seriously, a little less diaper fairyness shouldn't take away some of the fun aspects that were here before she was.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aherne
I admit that I am a little annoyed with the diaper fairy too.

it is taking over the board.

If I share that I am having a bad day, I dont want someone to assume that I am fishing for free stuff. But at the same time has anyone noticed that there is a sudden increase in "feel sorry for me" threads? Are they connected or is the world just going through a be mean to diaper mom phase... or maybe we are all going through a complain phase we need a fishing icon because some people are downright obvious and it is obnoxious.

Even here... she posts that she hates the fairy and people right away assume it is a jelous comment and she just needs to be sent a free something to make her like the fairy. cant buy the fairy love baby
I have to agree w/Aherne here. The DF posts are taking over the board (much like diapering posts were taking over the regular TP at one point) and it's hard to sift through all of them to get to other posts.

It's pretty sad when a new member posts an intro only to have it buried by DF posts. It is annoying, imo and I think there should be a sticky at the top or a thread that is designated for the DF.

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:04 PM

Well there won't be a sticky but I do think that a "Thank you Diaper Fairy" thread for the day would be a better way.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennInSeattle
Well there won't be a sticky but I do think that a "Thank you Diaper Fairy" thread for the day would be a better way.
That is an excellent idea!!!

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennInSeattle
That sounds grrrrrreat!!!

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.

First person with a thank you should start it for that day...
Old 06-22-2004, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lori810
I have definately had that same thought, especially when it is a fairly new poster saying something like "Woe is me, I only have 7 diapers and I am trying to diaper 3 kids with them. If only I had a few more diapers....but not those cheapie prefolds, I can only use FCB AIO's....wonder where I could get some...." That sort of thing, ya know?
I did post something like this the other day. I was trying to share my frustration that my DS decided to stop pottying in the toilet, and I have nothing that works for him. I wasn't looking for any handout, just some support b/c it's hard for me right now. I am trying to put together diapers out of what I have and am washing it every day, ect. Unfortunately there were probably people who read what I wrote I assumed I was trying to get a fairy gift. That might explain why basically no one responded. But I was really only looking for support. I didn't join the diaper fairy thing to get fairied, I joined b/c I saw a momma who was struggling and I wanted to brighten her day.

I do agree that some people probably do post their struggles looking for a fairy gift, but I think most of us are just looking for support. I think that support is one of the best things this forum has to offer.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:10 PM

Yep, I agree with the one thread a day idea. The DF is getting exponentially more busy and that makes a lot of sense. It's also easier to find if someone wants to make sure their somebody got fairied successfully.

I also think the whole idea has changed the way I read some posts and I have refrained a couple of times from posting something because I didn't want my posts interpreted this way.

I too have come across what I thought were shameless fishing threads, but I have tried not to judge them.

I think this will all naturally calm down a bit in time, and the fairy will live on. I the fairy.

Mama to 13, and 10 and 4.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:11 PM

Quote:
ITA Angelica. I am torn because this is the place I can come to and say, "Oh man, I really want this print of this or that but just can't buy it now, but it's my fave print and I'm so bummed" and just whine about beautiful fluff I can't buy and have other people totally understand what I'm going through. But I would be mortified if people were thinking I'm fishing for a fairy. I can't really tell dh or other friends that I want a zoo print SOS without them telling me how I am It does shed a new light on this whole fairy stuff, though. But I love fairying, so I'm gonna keep it up.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Old 06-22-2004, 02:21 PM

:
Old 06-22-2004, 02:26 PM

Ahearne Very well put, as usual!

I have to say that the diaper fairy has been along for quite some time before this list was started. I got my first "fairy" gift last year from a momma who knew I loved turtles and knew I had never tried a FMBG fitted. I, in return, sent her a new Sage FB she had been wanting to try.
I have to agree with most of the posters here. Just like the "fluffy mail" threads that got one singular post a day, I think this is a great idea for the diaper fairy as well.
It seems more like a popularity contest to me some days. Like "if you have not been fairied"post here.
I did not get on the list because I didn't want people to feel obligated to buy me something I cannot afford myself. Part of the fun of fairying to me is grabbing someone out of the blue and searching for their adress and doing that all myself. I am so glad some of you are having such a great time with this,and for that I am happy and grateful that there are so many nice kind mommas out there spreading the diaper love. But, that being said I am sure new members are very confused and a little isolated when seeing all these posts.

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes
Old 06-22-2004, 02:26 PM

Me, too, Kaylee---I'm gonna keep on fairying, and just not talk about stuff I would buy if money were no object. No biggie I guess....
Old 06-22-2004, 02:28 PM

The daily Thanks Diaper Fairy thread idea has been put forth before, but no one committed at that time. It sounds like more ppl are serious about it now, so hopefully there will be follow-through since it really would be a better method. Monday Diaper Fairy, Diaper Fairy Tuesday, etc. just like the Fluffy Mail threads are titled. Maybe I'll go start one now...

As for the calling out blatent DF posts, I think a PM asking the poster if that was their intent would be a better first step.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:29 PM

I have to agree with Aherne.

Although reading this read and the blatant "fishing for fairy" posts have reminded me of the old fable that tells of the man visiting the old woman who kindly made stew and he in turn gave her a piece of gold for each drop of butter, when the rich woman heard of this she invited the man in and overseasoned the soup so much that when her time came for gold it was one solid piece.

I have gotten the feeling that the true value of random acts of kindness have been lost in the frenzy of hyena'ness. It isn't about the $ value of the item but rather the value of the heart that gave it.

Take it for what it's worth.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:30 PM

I hope no one thought my post was fishing? I just wanted to share a beautiful hand made necklace in the hopes that someone would buy it away, thus taking away my temptation.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Brittani
I hope no one thought my post was fishing? I just wanted to share a beautiful hand made necklace in the hopes that someone would buy it away, thus taking away my temptation.
Just a few days ago I was wailing about how much I loved the Warm Heart Woolies set with the blue soaker shorts and zoo hat/shirt and wanted someone to buy it quickly so I wouldn't keep mentally calculating how I could budget such an extravagant&un-affordable purchase..... I am so mortified now thinking that maybe people interpreted that as my fishing for a (huge, even!!!!) fairy gift. : That wasn't my intention at all and I will be censoring myself big time for any hint of anything that could be construed as fishing.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:39 PM

Now I'm paranoid too! I don't want any of my posts to be construed as fishing for fairying. : Maybe I'll put a disclaimer at the bottom of my posts

Please note: Posting this is not fishing for a fairy gift in any way, shape, or form. Viewer discretion is advised. Void where prohibited.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:43 PM

I just wanted to be included in this thread. :LOL

I'm trying to get a pic of my dd in the dress we were faired with but the darn kid won't get dressed :LOL. She has been wanting to run free around the house the past few days.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:44 PM

I don't know, I personally think I might just ask to be taken off the whole diaper fairy thing. This forum is important to me for three reasons. 1) to get information 2) to hang out with so many awesome mommas and 3) to get support for my cloth diapering journey.

If I have to worry about the things I say being interpretted as possibly being diaper fairy fishing and possibly affecting other people's opinions of me, then I'd rather not be involved. I can't afford to fairy anyone else right now anyway. I'd really rather just be able to share my struggles and have other mommas understand and offer me a hug or "you can do it!"
Old 06-22-2004, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggins&Doody
Please note: Posting this is not fishing for a fairy gift in any way, shape, or form. Viewer discretion is advised. Void where prohibited.
: Especially, void where prohibited!
Old 06-22-2004, 02:49 PM

I do not think the original poster was saying that because you post about something you love you are fishing. I think that the blatent posts where a person wants such and such a diaper but has no money and woes me. Blah, blah, blah is what she was referring to.

Hell I love Luke's Drawers, Mudpiebaby, LHC, FMBG and Valor Kids and not afraid to say it either. I cannot afford every darn diaper out there and I know nobody can and when we see something we love it is only natural to say so but to come here and post a post specifically about one said product and not having the money to buy it would seem kind of blatent. KWIM? Plus if you are that hard up would you not just be thrilled with anything? Maybe not?

Everyone wants a nice big ole stash but it is not going to happen if you do not do one of the following:

Sell something to buy it
Go into credit card debt to buy it
Forget about it and be satisfied with what you got
Post woes me posts to entice the diaper fairy :

I dunno sometimes it is so obvious someone is fishing and other times it is completely innocent and who is to say forsure??? The diaper fairy is not a fool.

User Tag List