Can I just say..... - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 144 Old 06-22-2004, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemigogo
One time that really frustrated me was someone saying how few diaper she had and what a tough time she was having, and several mamas offering her things - and she wouldn't take them because they weren't AIOs : . I can't tell you how that hurt my heart.
That was the same thread I was referring to in my post a few pages back. Really left a bad taste in my mouth and just felt like a veiled fishing attempt to me. I love how generous so many are here, and I hate to see it being taken advantage of.
#122 of 144 Old 06-22-2004, 06:17 PM

I agree that it is pretty easy to see a fishing thread and there have been a very few of them. I just ignored those and moved on.
The first time someone started a "what do you want from the fairy" thread I was sort of weirded out by it. It felt like Christmas rather than a RAK thing. But I got some ideas from that thread so I did appreciate it. But maybe we should tone those types of threads down. I do like the fairy as a subtle thing, paying attention to who likes what and remembering it.
I just think a few, very few, people need to adjust their idea of what the fairy is for. She isn't to help you build your stash or get you some nice hyena items. She is just there to brighten your day. Perhaps some smaller fairy gifts are in order too, to remind us of the point of it all.
I do think one fairy fluff thread a day is a good idea.
#123 of 144 Old 06-22-2004, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much2luv
Perhaps some smaller fairy gifts are in order too, to remind us of the point of it all.
I agree! I am actually quite stunned at the vast majority of the fairy gifts I have seen. Lots of $ being spent! I love the idea of a small gift like a few wipes (for example) to just say "I was thinking of you." When I have sent out fairy gifts myself, they haven't been hyena status, and I sort of worried whether people might not like them but for the most part, they have been very well-recieved, and that makes me .
#124 of 144 Old 06-22-2004, 06:25 PM

I know....already posted to this thread......BUT

I wanted to give my own example of how the DF can really touch someone!

When I was struggling on another FORUM with the discovery of a 4th pregnancy, and feeling really distressed about having another child, out of the blue I got a tiny little Angelwrap diaper & it was TOTALLY unexpected but it completely changed the way I thought about this baby & made the whole pregnancy seem very real to me & suddenly I felt excited about a new babe

So THAT I think, it what the DF is for~~~a nice surprise for a mama that really needs one!
#125 of 144 Old 06-22-2004, 06:29 PM

Or when I came home from a bad bad bad doctor's appointment and found a tiny newborn diaper on my doorstep... it was a visual reminder of what all of this is about....

It's not about getting a Kool Sheep Soaker worth $300. It's about a little sunshine in someone's day!

Seriously, if I got *one* wipe in the mail I would be happy It's just the fact that someone else thought about you

So maybe, we've made our point now on this thread? I think we can all be more conscientious about the way the DF stuff comes across.... and probably no more "have you given more than you've gotten?" type threads??

mamas!

Kimberly
#126 of 144 Old 06-22-2004, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemigogo
I think all of you have great points, and i will look forward to seeing some balance restored. I personally do not open many fairy threads, as there have been so many. I did see a couple of people 'blatantly' wanting to be fairied, and i would never fairy a person doing that. One time that really frustrated me was someone saying how few diaper she had and what a tough time she was having, and several mamas offering her things - and she wouldn't take them because they weren't AIOs : . I can't tell you how that hurt my heart.

But i digress... One time that i fairied, tho, it was in specific response to a person saying how much she loves something. BUT, i just did not get a vibe that she was DFF, but rather that she was sharing her longings, just like we all do at times . I was absolutely tickeled to be able to give her her heart's desire.
In my post before saying someone only wanting one thing or one brand I was thinking of that aio post you were talking about not people who rave about the few brands they like. I think we all have those few brands that we truly love and that work for us so naturally we rave about them .

I only wanted to clarify that for ChristinaB who voiced that concern in her post.
#127 of 144 Old 06-22-2004, 08:40 PM

ok- so even in the midst of all the chaos..... :

I want on-board!!!

Soooo..... whos the coodinater again?? Chris?? chemigogo??
#128 of 144 Old 06-22-2004, 09:57 PM

This whole thread makes me kind of sad. There are so few random acts of kindness in the world anymore and now even this one feels slightly tainted and less kind hearted. I cannot even count how many "OHHHH go look at this" threads I've started and it bothers me that someone would think that I'm fishing for a freebie. Yes, I would probably have bought that certain item if I had the money for it or I just wanted to share some beautiful fluff. Believe me if I had wanted what ever it was bad enough I would have found some way to have gotten it- like selling stuff of the TP or something. I guess I'm being naive (or just clueless ) but I haven't seen any blatant begging for stuff. But then again I miss 1/2 of these posts, once DH comes home I'm usually off the computer for the night.

Once again who are we to judge what other people are writing or thinking. We cannot honestly say whether or not someone is really fishing or not- we are not inside of their heads. The diaper forum as wonderful as it can be is still only communication in a single dimension. With writing we loose so much- there's no vocal tones heard or visual stimuli to aid in our deciphering of these posts, so I think a lot is read into them or misinterpreted.

I know that I will now be very careful as to what I post when it comes to "lookie here" threads, because I'm worried that others might think I'm fairy fishing.

I hope that the wonderful ungratuitous fairying that has been happening continues because it is a part of why this forum is so special. Ok I'll get off my soapbox now. Sorry. :
#129 of 144 Old 06-22-2004, 10:36 PM

Oops, ignore. Meant to post a new thread!
#130 of 144 Old 06-23-2004, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

HOLY WOW!!! 7 pages, you guys? :LOL

But really, the only reasons I'm sick of the diaper fairy are 1) I have to wade through like 10 pages of posts to find maybe a page's worth that are actual questions about diapers. The bulk of the posts lately are DF thank-yous, and I do think it would be a good idea to consolidate them. 2) Yes, the "oh, poor me" threads are getting on my nerves. I do think that before this was an organized thing, we could whine to our heart's content without anyone thinking we had an ulterior motive.....but I also think that the poor me posts belong on another forum, anyway.

I don't participate in the diaper fairy stuff. I don't need anything because I'm very committed to a recycled diaper stash, and I make those myself. I don't give my own diapers away because I make them to make money for my family. And I don't spend that money on diapers, because I need it for groceries. I think it's great for those of you who *can* gift others, and for those of you who really do need a pick-me-up, or a nifty stash addition, but there needs to be balance, and the realization that not everyone here participates. It's not a matter of "oh, you're not feeling the love, that's why you're crabby" - I'd just like to see a bit more balance.
#131 of 144 Old 06-23-2004, 12:50 AM

Well, I for one am glad someone said it! :LOL Yes, I'm on the list. Yes, I've been fairied. More than once I might add. And, I've fairied others too. I would get off the list giving more chances to those that haven't been fairied...but that means, I myself would not be able to fairy in the future...name has to be on the list in order to fairy someone else.

But, ITA with Aherne, kindmomma, and Stacy31. Oh, and one of my fairy presents came before the list and it was one of the most memorable. Aww, the geisha girls FLAG from RB. It was in the hands of Miapia and she said she'd give me first dibs on all her diapers, but forgot and that either got sold or traded off or something. It wound up on the TP and I saw miapia post that she'd wondered what happened to that diaper. Well, I commented reminding her that she was supposed to sell that diaper to me! Well, I couldn't gather any paypal up but some very generous fairies and I say fairies because I know there were more than one sent me a lovely pkg with a RB geisha girls FLAG in it. Also I know two very very sweet WAHM, that when I've made purchases who have gone out of their way to include diaper fairy treats...extras in my order.

Does it make me feel cold hearted that I don't feel sad that some people haven't gotten fairied? No. Why? Because I mean it's a random act of kindness. I also don't feel sour towards people who haven't fairied other people even though they are on the list. I mean, I just find these threads pertaining to the DF almost as awful as a thread that would start of saying "If your on the DF list and haven't fairied someone, well why not?" I don't know I think it's just rude. But, that's my 2 cents.
#132 of 144 Old 06-23-2004, 12:52 AM

Quote:
but there needs to be balance, and the realization that not everyone here participates.
I guess I haven't seen that the DF posts unbalance all of the other posts here...there has been an increase lately, but I still see lots of non-DF posts, too. I think most people here know that not everyone participates in the DF, but I don't understand why that really matters...If you choose not to participate, for whatever reason, that's fine, if you do, that's fine too, or at least that's how I see it. If I didn't want to be a part of it, I'd just skip those posts. Seems like lots of mamas here are involved and are enjoying being involved. Maybe I'm way off base, though.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#133 of 144 Old 06-23-2004, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Edwards
I would get off the list giving more chances to those that haven't been fairied...but that means, I myself would not be able to fairy in the future...name has to be on the list in order to fairy someone else.
i just wanted to tell you that the diaper fairy has been around long before "the list" was even thought of. you can send fairy diapers any time you like. there are people who know of other peoples addresses and what not. if i wanted to i could send out at least a dozen fairy packages and not be on "the list". as a matter of fact, i did fairy a mom, in april, i wasn't on "the list" then either. i just asked around for her address and sent her something i knew she was dying to get
#134 of 144 Old 06-23-2004, 03:40 AM

Quote:
i just wanted to tell you that the diaper fairy has been around long before "the list" was even thought of. you can send fairy diapers any time you like. there are people who know of other peoples addresses and what not. if i wanted to i could send out at least a dozen fairy packages and not be on "the list". as a matter of fact, i did fairy a mom, in april, i wasn't on "the list" then either. i just asked around for her address and sent her something i knew she was dying to get
I was going to say that before. I have been sneaky in the past and asked someone I noticed that had done a swap recently with the person I was going to fairy and asked for the address. This was WAY back before diaper fairying started. Half the fun was the shock of it. Now everyone is just waiting to get fairied it seems, and the whole element of surprise is gone.

Buy or sell safe scents for your home!! Check out Scentsy!! Start your own business for only $99.
#135 of 144 Old 06-23-2004, 03:43 AM

Wow, I don't keep any of the addresses for anyone that I've done swaps with. I can barely remember my own address.
#136 of 144 Old 06-23-2004, 04:17 AM

Quote:
i do avoid any title with Diaper Fairy in it, or look what showed up at my door/ state/ country, ect.
Ack, sorry. I posted a look what showed up at my door post just the other day when a highly anticipated piece of fluff showed up. Guess I'd be better off just answering questions. Hope I didn't annoy too many folks.

As for the fairy list, I just recently joined as I have something I want to send, but perhaps I'll just get myself right back off and find an addy another way. Somehow after 7 pages of this the fairy magic doesn't seem quite as magical. Well I guess that's something to ponder tonight. Interesting reading ladies.

Mama to three sweet girls (a dramatic, chatty 10yo, a bouncy, dynamo of a 7yo, and a delightful, whimsical 3.5yo)
#137 of 144 Old 06-23-2004, 08:59 AM

Wow interesting! I'm kind of new and I have few things to say.

I like the idea of combining the threads. That would make it easy for those that want avoid the DF.

I also feel like this is the only place that I can come to and whine about my CD life. Very few people I know CD, dh is not interested-so who else can I share my pain with? But now I see that complaining can be interpeted as fishing.

When I first joined I posted that I didn't have enough dipes for a day (not true anymore) I was posting it because I thought the people on the list would understand what a pita that would be especially when you are trying to switch completely from posies. Some momma pm'd me and pointed me to the fairy list. I fell in love with the idea. The secrecy, the whimsical aspect, the idea of surprising a momma.

As far as the dear fairy letters? Just fun daydreaming. Daydreaming that I can actually share with others without seeming like a nut. Where else can adults write a "dear santa" like letter?
#138 of 144 Old 06-23-2004, 10:25 AM

I agree. I feel bad now that I ever vented.
#139 of 144 Old 06-23-2004, 12:51 PM

I think the threads asking people to dream up what they really would need to CD easier, what they would LOVE to satisfy their hyena craziness, etc. ARE great, maybe they just shouldn't be titled 'letters to the diaper fairy' because mentioning the diaper fairy program just makes everyone responding looking like they are going to be expecting/hoping that something will come soon. (I do agree with the poster that said that some of the magic is lost when it seems like everyone is just waiting by their mailbox waiting for a diaper fairy delivery ) Instead of, 'You haven't been fairied yet and you really would like.....' or 'You've fairied a lot but you haven't gotten much and what are you really hoping someone will send you' type of threads (which are just heavy with expectation), we should just do the type of threads we've BEEN DOING FOREVER like, 'Your dream stash' or 'If you had 100/50/20 dollars what would you buy'..... and the diaper fairy, as covert and clever as she is, will get her ideas that way, without the people gushing about coveted items coming across as 'fishing'.
#140 of 144 Old 06-23-2004, 04:07 PM

Angelica
#141 of 144 Old 06-23-2004, 04:08 PM

Can I just say....

I am now sick of this thread.

: :LOL
#142 of 144 Old 06-23-2004, 04:13 PM

#143 of 144 Old 06-23-2004, 04:13 PM

Ack Jamie, you bumped it! :LOL

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 
#144 of 144 Old 06-23-2004, 04:49 PM

Ok that was A LOT to read! I am sorry people are down about the fairy. I love reading about what people get! I just think it's awsome...

Quote:
BUT, I just saw a BLATANT BLATANT BLATANT *fishing for a fairy* thread.

Can we all agree to call eachother out when we see this? Cause that's just cheap and nasty to blatantly ask for something.
I would hope my posts aren't taken as fishing to be fairied. I guess I should think harder when I post on some things but I tend to comment bluntly and if I see something I like and am broke, I will just say that plain out. That is why I stopped going in the TP for the past few weeks. I started feeling like I kept saying, oh what a cute diaper, too bad I am broke... It's not that I want someone to send me something for free... Cause in honesty i have a hard time accepting RAK things, just ask my friends who have yelled at me in the past over this... but I just comment to let someone know that their post was being looked at and I thought the diaper was cute and I say I am broke cause well... I have $17 in my paypal right now and that money plus a few more $ is already spoken for... So I don't want to give someone the impression that I can afford the diaper right now when I can't...

Actually my whole point of getting on the fairy list is because there is someone particular I have wanted to fairy for a very long time and just haven't found the right item at a time when I could afford it... So I got on so when I do get that perfect item I can send it... Hopefully that time will be soon...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page