I *love* using. . . PINS!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2004, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know, a little shocking.

We've tried snappis on and off for several months and I've just never really liked them. People always comment that it looks like the lower arm is grabbing my boys in a bad way, I pull the snappi too tight and the boys whimper and pull at it, I put it on too loose and it falls off. . . I could never use it coverless because my boys would always find a way to get remove it (and then put it in their mouths ).

So, I decided to try pins. We've been using them for a couple of weeks and I'm already totally in love. It did take me a couple of days to figure it out, but now I'm a pro. I use them with regular-sized (and beautifully dyed) cpfs, coverless around the house. They look so cute and old-fashioned, and my boys don't mind them at all. They were always really squiggly with diaper changes, and so I was worried initially about sticking them. But I really think my boys have gotten more still since I started pinning the diapers. . . maybe they can sense the importance of not wriggling too much.

If anyone else out there is feeling frustrated with the snappi. . . try pins!

(I use Dritz, kept in a bar of soap when not in use).

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2004, 11:08 PM

Wow! Good for you!
I have had to use pins for other reasons in the past and I had a hand full of bandaged fingers. I'm way too scared.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:36 PM

I use pins! I havent gotten around to ordering a snappi. I've yet to poke DS or myself (knock on wood)

Married Mom to K(8), K(7) & C born March 23rd.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:40 PM

I love pins!

I got my Snappi out and had the same problem coverless... the bottom leg came unsnappied and the boy got stuck in our jersey sheets... kept crawling in place and not gettin anywhere :LOL And if I put it on real snug it does seem to squish his 'package' as DH says

So pins it is... sometimes he's too wiggly and we don't get the best fit but in general I love them
Old 06-22-2004, 11:40 PM

I use pins whenever I can't find a snappy, but I have to admit that I how old fashionned dd looks with them.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:58 PM

Okay- as stupid as this sounds, I would love to try using pins but I have no idea of how I should put them through the diaper. Does this make sense? I mean do I stick it through just the corner that comes around the front? Do I stick it through some of the corner from the back and part of the front of the diaper so it is going from the back cornor to the front of the diaper? Does anyone have a picture of how their pins look after they are put in place? Can I see some pictures??
Old 06-23-2004, 12:00 AM

I'll take one right now Jaime
Old 06-23-2004, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensity_too
Okay- as stupid as this sounds, I would love to try using pins but I have no idea of how I should put them through the diaper. Does this make sense? I mean do I stick it through just the corner that comes around the front? Do I stick it through some of the corner from the back and part of the front of the diaper so it is going from the back cornor to the front of the diaper? Does anyone have a picture of how their pins look after they are put in place? Can I see some pictures??
yes! me too!
Old 06-23-2004, 12:45 AM

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/fee...bum?.dir=/d098

No descriptions really, but does that help?
Old 06-23-2004, 01:06 AM

wow, feebee, that may be the most detailed instructions i've seen since i started cd-ing! very impressive & inspiring! (no success here with the snappi yet!)
Old 06-23-2004, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

I do it just like in those photos too! The thing is to make sure that the pin enters and exits through the "wings" of the diaper (with a prefold the wings are really the back corners of the diaper), as opposed to entering through the wings, and exiting through the front of the diaper.

HTH!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 5, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:25 AM

Awesome slideshow! You should post it in resources. I used a snappi at first b/c I was scared to death of pins. I switched in the past month or so and can get a much better fit w/pins. I think those and the jellyroll fold have made me love my prefolds so much more. Super trim! If he goes into alligator death roll mode, I go for the snappi, but I can't get it anywhere near as tight around the legs.

mama to DD yikes2.gif She's a teenager! 12/19/97 and DS jammin.gif 09/18/03
Old 06-23-2004, 01:28 AM

Does it drive anyone else nuts that you can't get the pins to face opposite directions? ( so when you look at it from the front, both pin clasps(?) are on either the outside or inside) It grates my nerves....maybe I'm obsessive, though, lol :

mama to DD yikes2.gif She's a teenager! 12/19/97 and DS jammin.gif 09/18/03
Old 06-23-2004, 01:51 AM

I'm glad DH didn't mind taking pix and DD held so still :LOL

Glad it helped
Old 06-23-2004, 02:56 AM

I have to admit, I usually use the snappi, because it doesn't get lost as quickly as pins seem to around here. And, dh loves it so much more than pins. But, I do love pins, and find them quite easy and very functional. I also think they look so charming! I guess there's a reason they've been in use for so long, huh?

Anyway, I pin the same way feebeeglee does (GREAT tutorial there!!). Only thing I would add is that you don't have to pin through all the layers to get a good hold. Through the wings (obviously) and then grab a couple of layers from the front and you are GTG! That way there's no metal at all touching baby, either. And practically zero chance of poking the baby....although YOU may still be in harms way, LOL!

The other tip I'd add is that yeah, soap works great to keep the pins lubed and sharp, but if you are out and about, or traveling, etc. soap may be a pain in the butt to carry around. So, something I learned from my mom (and IMO, this works just as well as soap--maybe even better!) is to just run the point of the pin (carefully!!) along your scalp, through your hair. The natural oils in your hair will lube it, and it will slip through the fabric "like buttah!" Hope this helps!!

Yep, I'm feelin' the :boypin :girlpin love here....thanks for reminding me how great they are! (and I have some adorable pins--the heads are shaped like Crayons! Of course, Dritz are hands-down the best....)

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
Old 06-23-2004, 03:03 AM

yup, i looove pins too! that's what i started cd'ing with when dd was just a few weeks old and i went to pockets then onesize now i'm back to cpfs adn pins

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Old 06-23-2004, 03:41 AM

You can run the pin points across your nose, too. I always carry a set of pins on my belt-loop - every pair of my pants has a set! :LOL I just use the Gerber ones - they've always worked just fine for me.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:02 AM

I'll be pinning tomorrow! I just washed all my fitteds and now I'm going to do all prefolds tomorrow! ROFL! I'm a nut!
Old 06-23-2004, 04:28 AM

Wow. I feel so retarded, I had no idea anyone used pins.

Thanks for the education ladies!
Old 06-23-2004, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Sailor
Wow. I feel so retarded, I had no idea anyone used pins.

Thanks for the education ladies!
:LOL I actually plan to snappi and then pin beside the snappi the first couple of times to get me into the pin of things!
Old 06-23-2004, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest4quiet
Does it drive anyone else nuts that you can't get the pins to face opposite directions? ( so when you look at it from the front, both pin clasps(?) are on either the outside or inside) It grates my nerves....maybe I'm obsessive, though, lol :
TOTALLY!! This is the one thing that always bugs me!! And I'm always trying to turn that second pin over, convinced that, for some reason, this time it will work!! Yeah, I do know how stupid that is....and can I possibly be any more OCD??? My dad says that a sign of insanity is someone doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result....

Ah well...

SheBear, searching desperately for Pin Symmetry...

Old 06-23-2004, 08:50 AM

I love pins too!! I was so afriad of them at first but now I really enjoy using them. I have sold most all my fitteds for prefolds because I really like the old fashioned, comfy pinned look!

Jodie, married to my best friend and Mama to three amazing kiddos, Jack (6), Matthew (4) and Sam (21 months) and cautiously waiting for a new little one due early spring (shhh, it's a secret!)
Old 06-23-2004, 11:36 AM

Will the pins from Walmart work fine? If not, where could I buy pins?
Old 06-23-2004, 11:39 AM

Aaaack!! Whodunnit??

<======= heeheehee....

Thanks--you totally made my day!

ETA: Steph, I've never seen diaper pins at my walmart, but maybe yours has them....the best brand (IMO) is Dritz. Just make sure they have locking heads. You can definitely find them at practically any diaper site that sells prefolds (check the sig lines of some of the moms here, or click on a banner ad), and you should be able to find them at craft/fabric stores, like JoAnn. Also probably at BRU. HTH!

Old 06-23-2004, 11:42 AM

:LOL that is just too funny SheBear. Love the DDDDC.

Thank you feebee! I'm attempting to pin today. I'll let you all know how it goes. Who knew you could get excited over pinning a prefold?!
Old 06-23-2004, 12:13 PM

Thanks feebee!!! I LOVE the look of pins but I have such a hard time getting them to hold well. : You have all excited me about them again.

Jenn-I like your idea. :LOL I am going to try that today! :boypin :boypin

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Old 06-23-2004, 12:45 PM

I them too. I always pin with both pins pointing out, is that what you guys are trying to do? It isn't difficult. Just...um...point them both out. lol
Old 06-23-2004, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've used pins like twice in emergencies when I had to put DD in a contour dipe (Snappi won't catch it) w/ a pull-on cover. I keep a set on my keychain.

I easily stab myself and DD is very squirmy so I only use them as last resort. But they do have the advantage of being readily available at mainstream stores, unlike the snappis. I'm down to just one snappi, if I lose it I'll prolly buy some more pins to hold me over until I get home in August.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Old 06-23-2004, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much2luv
I them too. I always pin with both pins pointing out, is that what you guys are trying to do? It isn't difficult. Just...um...point them both out. lol
I tried that as soon as I read your post. Because as we've already established, I'm neurotic, and I thought "hey, maybe she's on to something!!"

But nope, it still doesn't work! : Here's the thing--we're not talking about the plain, locking head pins--those are fine. But the pins with "fancy" heads don't work, because they aren't designed with specific "right" and "left". Thus, one will always be upside down, so that you can't see the design. Does that make sense? I wish I could post a picture....

I am such a dork! :

Old 06-23-2004, 02:32 PM

Oh Sarah that DDDDC is hilarious! I guess you better watch what you say, huh! :LOL

So I pinned first thing this morning by snappi'ing first and then pinning beside the snappi. I snappi'd him so tightly that he whined and then when I was done pinning it was too loose. So I took off the snappi and re-pinned each side and it was better.

I ran to the bathroom and two seconds later he was wet again (so much for taking pictures)! So this time I did the jellyroll fold without using the snappi and went straight for the pins. I only re-did one side (not both like the first time) and that was better.

20 minutes later he was wet again so I pinned again (each time using the scalp method) and only re-did one side again.. this one was much tighter though it could still use some work.

The best part? He's been coverless all day and his diaper hasn't fallen off once! That darn snappi was forever coming off or the diaper was falling off but the snappi staying on! Not pretty or fun!

So here are my pictures from my second and third time: http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid4568851

User Tag List