What information should I give to a potential future CD'er? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-24-2004, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was at swim lessons today and was talking to another child's mother who's pregnant and due in a couple of months. She saw my DDs diaper (an embroidered Darling Diapers) and commented on it and that struck up a conversation. She's really interested in learning more about cloth diapers and asked if I would bring her some links and/or information next week.

Sooooo...what would you give her? I think she's mainly looking for information about cloth diapering, what all the different types of diapers are, how you care for them, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 06-25-2004, 12:17 AM

I think www.earthbaby.com has a getting started page. I'm sure there are lots of others out there.... I'd probably link to this board of course. What I wouldn't do is link ONLY to a bunch of sites with expensive fitteds or AIOs, or give her info such as you feel it neccessary to change cloth every 15 minutes, you do diaper laundry twice a day, or you have spent $4,000 so far on your 3 month olds dipes.... ;-)

I think simple and easy is best in the beginning. The rest will follow! Overall just make it clear it's fun and enjoyable, not some dreary duty only for love of trees or such.... Can't wait to hear others' suggestions!

-Kimberly
#3 of 10 Old 06-25-2004, 12:21 AM

I have only 1 convert, and really, she had already decided to use cloth, just thought that only grocery store diapers were available, so I would second previous poster's suggestions. I did, though, bag up a good selection of different cloth choices to show her.
#4 of 10 Old 06-25-2004, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Kimberly. I definitely want to keep it pretty basic. I don't want to give her links to hyena sites and what-not. :LOL I definitely plan on giving her a link to the MDC forums.

I never thought about bagging up a collection. I only had two AIOs with me but she was unsnapping and checking everything out. While we were talking another lady came over and said "I've got to hear this." It was hilarious. She's done having babies but didn't realize that cloth diapers didn't have to be about pins and plastic pants.
#5 of 10 Old 06-25-2004, 12:51 AM

Ooh, how about The Diaper Hyena? Lots of info there

http://www.thediaperhyena.com
#6 of 10 Old 06-25-2004, 01:57 AM

When I get into conversations w/ people about diapering, baby-wearing, breastfeeding, etc., etc., I tell them all the same thing: Go to mothering.com and check out the forums. The mamas there will be happy to tell you anything you need to know!
#7 of 10 Old 06-25-2004, 02:34 PM

I don't have a specific site or information to give her.. I just wanted to say that's great! And, go lightly on the information. I tend to want to tell mamas EVERYTHING.. and they get a bit overwhelmed and high tail it out of there So, start with something simple. Give her ONE link.. maybe two and just let her know that that if she wants more, just to let you know. Maybe a link to something like natrualbabies.com because reading an entire page full of text about "fitteds" and "snappis" and "wicking" might not be that appealing while shopping is SO mcuh more fun. Then, when she sees something that appeals to her, she can go find out more about it.. a little at a time. You probably know all of this.. I do too, but I tend to get too excited when someone shows a glimmer of interest and I want to tell them too much at a time. A little can go a long way. Just whet her curiosity, and let her DISCOVER the info.. a quick search online will bring up hundreds of links so she'll have no problem finding a lot on her own. Good for you!! And good for her for not wrinkling her nose without even asking a question!

Amber
#8 of 10 Old 06-25-2004, 02:51 PM

yes, I think simple is the way to go!

I would start with the different types (when I first came here to diapering forums I was So confused- AIO, fitteds, covers, flats, prefolds, hemp, terry, wool, PUL, etc)

Then basic care wash and dry liek normal- she can deal with stripping and such later.

Then some links to WAHM & commercial diaper sites (reasonably priced ones to start) and then some of the resale forums maybe. I'm all for WAHM but I'd rather see a baby in commercial cloth than commercial disposables.

I think price of cloth diapers is a big turn off if they see hyena style prices first.
#9 of 10 Old 06-25-2004, 03:19 PM

Since I'm a recent convert myself, the two articles that convinced me the most to do more reasearch and take the plunge are "The Cost of Diapering" and "The Diaper Drama."

After those two, I read the articles from Mothering and began visiting the boards to learn more.

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

#10 of 10 Old 06-25-2004, 03:52 PM

www.greenmountaindiapers.com has a great informational page. They keep it VERY simple

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page