What was your MIL's reaction to cloth? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MIL thinks I'm totally nuts - she's totally against my using cloth, which I find strange because she cded 3 boys! She has made a few comments about how cute some of them are, but it is always followed by the "but it's so much work" or "pampers are so much easier..." Then again, she's pretty much anti-anything I do.

My mom is completely supportive, and totally impressed. She live 900 miles away so she doesn't get to see us much, but when she does she is always blown away by these "new fangled things" I'm using. She cded both my brother and me - flats, pins and plastic pants.

My grandmother is my biggest supporter though. She has bladder issues so she uses depends, and is always making the comment that "anyone who thinks those plastic diapers are better should wear one for a day. They are horribly hot and uncomfortable, I can't imagine how it would feel to be in one all day everyday." I my grandma!

Dh's grandma thinks it's great that I use cloth. We just spent the weekend with her and grandpa and she was very impressed with our diapers. All I took this weekend was prefolds and wool too!
#62 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 11:44 PM

It's such a relief to see there are loads of others suffering the same anti-cloth reaction from their mothers, or MIL! My mother, when she was alive, thought all the cute cloth was unique. But MIL is another story. Personally I've griped about it more than once : in this forum, and every so aften again when something else crops up to pee me off.

Strange for MIL who CD'ed all her 4 kids (with flats, pins and plastic pants, no less), to hate my cloth... but she does. From accusing it of making DS fall over from the weight to it being too hot, to wool being too uncomfortable, to outright skepticism about its ability to keep him dry, etc. etc. she's used all arguments and will grab the first sposie she sees in proximity, which is why there are NO sposies kept anywhere nearby now!! (the ones we use for vacations are carefully stashed away in a deep dark corner of our closet)

Now she's busy trying to PT him by letting him run around diaperless and trying to get him to sit on the potty every 10 minutes - just to get him out of dipes. At 19 months... yeah, whatever... it's fine by me so long as he doesn't pee my bed.
#63 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 11:59 PM

My MIL told me that I could have all of my boyfriends old diapers from when he was a babe -- if we got married! I told her she could keep them! I don't want those 30 year old ratty things! Besides the fact that I won't be manipulated like that.... :
#64 of 68 Old 06-28-2004, 12:04 AM

My MIL CD'd DH, and evidently he had horrid rashes. But she was very open to our using cloth. My mom doesn't quite get why I love it so much, but she is very supportive, except she claims she can't change his diaper! I'm sure she could do pockets or applix AIOs, I'm just not that kind of gal, really.
#65 of 68 Old 06-28-2004, 12:06 PM

My MIL lives with us and when I told her that we were going to do cloth, she said "Why would you want to go back to the old days?" She didn't realize that cloth diapers have changed and was impressed when our first package arrived. Now that it is summer, she likes for my son to go coverless so she can tell when he's wet.

My mother and grandmother really like the cloth diapers and they especially love the embroidered wool covers. I remember when we visited my dad for christmas and he said "You need to change his diaper. Look how full it is, that's disgusting!" I had to explain it was a cloth diaper and they are a little bulkier than a disposable. I thought that was funny because he and my stepmom didn't change their son's diaper that often and one time it exploded when he sat down too hard. Gel beads just oozed everywhere. It was so gross
#66 of 68 Old 06-28-2004, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've been very lucky that both moms have been very supportive. Helps that both used cloth too. Now my Step-mom just like of looked at me with this "okay you are kind of odd" look. But then I don't really care about her opinion anyways. I've never gotten the "you are up to snuff" vibe from her anyways so... (**censored**)....
: :

---

Sherri S. - I love your Grandma too!! She sounds like a sweetie
#67 of 68 Old 06-28-2004, 02:03 PM

Thanks! I kinda like her I just wish she didn't live 800+ miles away so she could help me advocate more!
#68 of 68 Old 06-28-2004, 02:04 PM

My mom has been suppotive, she cloth diapered all of us. My MIL buys sposies to keep at her house for my son, even though I always have plenty of cd's in the diaper bag. She also tells me that once I have another kid I won't have time to cd. I don't feel like it takes more of my time or that it is an inconveniance at all.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page