What was your MIL's reaction to cloth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How did your MIL react when you started using cloth diapers, or when you first talked about using cloth diapers?
How about your own mom?

My MIL seems to think that they are pretty cool, she especially likes AIOs.
My mom CD'd, but I get the impression that she thinks sposies are better b/c you only need to change them when they're really full
#2 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 12:17 PM

My mom was really excited, and helped to fund my stash!
My mil said "if you will let me know what sizes you need, I will buy your disposibles". NOT the right responce!

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#3 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 12:17 PM

My mom: Thinks they are nasty. She says "That's why they invented pampers"

My stepmom: Thinks they're cool and is happy I'm finding ways to save money :

My MIL: Thinks they're AWESOME and is so impressed it's unreal.

Kimberly
#4 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 12:18 PM

My MIL was thrilled and she's even bought me diapers before and got DD a wool SP cover for her birthday. But she cloth diapered my DH so this isn't new to her, and she's thrilled with all of the new stuff out there nowadays.

My mom is a different story, she doesn't put me down about it she could just care less. And tells me that if they come to her house she will put sposies on them because she isn't going to bother with trying to figure out the cloth. One reason why she doesnt' babysit very often.
#5 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 12:18 PM

to get her daughters to cloth diaper but they refused. She really loved the fact that I cloth diapered and did the thrift store thing. She was a very thrifty crunchy mama.
#6 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 12:19 PM

I used cloth from day 1. My mom (used cloth on us) thought it was normal, my one mil thought it was a little strange, but ok (we started w/ a dipe service) and my other mil thought it was normal (she used cloth too). Once I started washing my own, my mom thought it was weird to use cloth wipes, but still thought the dipes were normal. My mil (the one who used sposies) thought it was a little odd and wondered how I got them "clean."
#7 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 12:20 PM
Ok

Both had "ho hum" responses. Their darting betrayed that they think we're nuts. MIL has given us 2 cases of DD. :
#8 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 12:30 PM

When we started MIL had the "Why are you doing that, when you can use disposable" response. She still has that response and tries to offer to buy sposies for us. My mom thinks its neat.

Married Mom to K(8), K(7) & C born March 23rd.
#9 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 12:33 PM

My MIL thought they were dirty and unsanitary. Now she's pretty supportive, but still thinks we should have sposies on hand, Just in case. She also thinks they're terribly expensive(and I don't even tell her how much they really cost) "Yeah, this Kiwi Pie cashmere cover was only $12!"

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#10 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 12:38 PM

My mom kind of freaked out when I first started looking into it and just told me all the horrible things like my house will smell like bleach you don't save any money and they are unsanitary, so I didn't tell her for a few months until she found out on her own when she came to visit. Once in a while she will still make snide remarks but she does that with everything not just cloth.

My MIL thought we were crazy when we told her we were doing it and that DS is allergic to sposies her comment was "can't you just slather his butt in desitin every change" Dh said ya we could do that or we could use cloth She still thinks we are crazy but doesn't say anything about it anymore.
#11 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 12:44 PM

My mom has never really said anything either way. My step MIL I don't think realizes there is any other way and my MIL used cloth and loves how far they've come. I don't get any flack at all for using cloth. I mostly get comments like "oh, you're a *good* mom" but never any negativity.
#12 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 12:51 PM

My MIL doesn't understand at all. She used to buy us disposables alot but stopped when dh finally told her firmly that we didn't want them. I have tried several times to impress her but finally gave up when she referred to my beautiful colored Firefly as a "diaper thingy". When my 2 year old used to wear diapers and she would go to grandma's house I would try sending her in all different things. First I tried MEOS and velcro covers, and nice simple dependable system. No deal. She came home in a sposie. Then I tried Fuzzibunz prestuffed of course thinking she would love the aio aspect. Nope. Disposie. Then just for the heck of it I tried a beautiful firefly sure she would see and love. I sent it with an alexis featherlite hoping that the familiar "plastic pants" would make her feel better. Nope. "diaper thingy" indeed! So I have officially given up.
#13 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 12:52 PM

MIL says she used cloth for her first but gave up on it because it was so much work. From what she tells me, she used flats, pins, and plastic pants. She tries really hard not to step on my toes, but I don't think she gets it. She has no problem buying sposies for me or SIL when she visits. She stayed with me for a few weeks after dd was born. She is in the habit of using desitin at EVERY diaper change, too. That kind of grosses me out. I only like to put cream/ointment on dd when it's necessary. She saw my prefolds whe n she visited, but she hasn't really seen our other stuff: snappi, nylon pants, fleece liners, doublers, Wonderoos!, etc.

My mom, I really don't think she cares.
#14 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 12:52 PM

My mom is happy, thinks they are cute, and is glad those chemicals aren't on Ds's (and soon to be DD's) bottom

MIL thinks everything I do as a parent is stupid. She tells me all about how she left her second son in his crib in his room for 3 months b/c "he wasn't ready for the outside world" since he was born early. She just went in to feed and change him. She also reccomends what she did to go grocery shopping. She left her 3 and 4 year old sons at home with the TV on while she went shopping. So I obviously don't put any weight into her opinion on anything I choose to do as a parent.
#15 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 12:54 PM

my in-laws avoid any contact with changing him, and bought a big pack of sposies when he was born as a gift. Of course, when MIL watches me change him, she's all cheerful about it (but confused) saying to him, 'you get a new diaper.......(and as I put on a wool cover)...and another diaper.... ' I think she thinks I just put two diapers on him. : I have a few sposies in the house leftover from trans-atlantic plane trips, and when I've left DS for 2 hours with them at my home, wouldn't you know they found them and had them ready to go to put on him (but didn't actually change him before I got back).

My mom is awesome and while she discouraged me when I first brought it up while pregnant ("I tried cloth with you but in the end my sanity was more important!") she has since been knitting soakers and will be knitting us wool pants when she comes to visit this summer.
#16 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 12:59 PM

Mil - indifference. My fil thought the fitteds are cool.

My mother - "If you are going to do cloth you better do it right." So I did! lol She loves to see all my new fluff. She was a seasmstress so she gives me great help on sewing my own. She even dunks them for me when she babysits at her house. Of course she cds too so what would I expect.

Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#17 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My mom was a little surprised at first, but says that it's better for the environment. She visited when I was about 18 weeks pregnant, and fell in love with the few dipes I had so far (just Kissaluvs and, her fave, a LL).

My stepmom doesn't understand and doesn't think it will last. In fact, my dad asked DH if he wanted in the "family pool" about how long CDing will last, said the current bets range from 6 days to 2 weeks. Then he offered to buy me a "closet full of Huggies", which I declined.

My MIL doesn't know yet, we very rarely talk to them. Good relationship with them, but they are just caught up in raising their 2 kids still in high school and tend to forget about DH.

CDing was originally DH's idea, then once I looked into it I became hooked. He doesn't really have a good idea about how much some of them cost, I just get them and he doesn't ask.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#18 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 01:12 PM

My MIL was happy as she used cloth on her kids too. My DH was a Dydee Diaper Service model

My mom was happy too. She would have been horrified if I chose to use sposies. She is a cloth diaper snob. One time when travelling to visit her I accidently left my backpack full of all DS's CD's at a rest stop. When she took me to Walgreens for some sposies til I went back to find my dipes she had to explain to everyone who saw us holding the sposies on the way out that we really use cloth, these were just for an emergency and were disgusting
#19 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 01:13 PM

My husband was cloth diapered. He has eczema and they were pretty poor when he was born--they got pregnant on their wedding night ON THE PILL! So, they were very young and couldn't afford sposies, coupled with his skin issues.. LUCKY HUBBY, huh!? Hehehe.

My mother in law kvetched at me at Christmas when she had to put a disposable on my daughter. She said it was gross and that I needed to use cloth because it was so much softer.

She was tickled pink when I started. A few weeks ago I sent her a pattern that I found on line for covers. She's currently working on making several PUL covers with matching dresses. She's quite the seamstress, so I'm pretty excited to see what she sends us. It makes me so happy that my daughter will have granny made stuff, you know?
#20 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 01:19 PM

My MIL doesn't live anywhere near us or really have any clue what is going on with her grandbabies. I think I got a "oh really, email me a picture".

My mom and dad on the other hand were both excited. I happened to mention that I was "thinking" about it as they were leaving on a trip to Canada. They brought me back 3 5packs of Kushies all in ones. Mom does get a little miffed that I don't have it as rough as she did. gauze flats and rubber pants. But they are VERY supportive.
#21 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzybee
How did your MIL react when you started using cloth diapers, or when you first talked about using cloth diapers?
How about your own mom?
My MIL made me a huge stack of newborn contoured diapers from a sample I got ( but couldn't afford a lot of). She bought traditional tri-folds, serged the thin ones together with extra in the middle, and then contoured them and some she put velcro on. I used these with the NB covers I had - and after the NB period went to AIO's. She even made a stack of baby doll cloth with velcro dipes for my older dd's dollies...

My own mother, had no reaction much- she used cloth on all of us and was glad to see the dipes were prettier/easier to use.
#22 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 01:21 PM

My mom thought it was just more hippy crunchy of me.......
and my MIL when she was alive use to offer to buy us sposies so we wouldnt have to use cloth but she was supportive once she realized why we CD.......
#23 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 01:33 PM

she bought my dh sposies so he wouldnt have to touch "those nasty" cloth dipes.
he "knows better" lol
#24 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 01:38 PM

My mom was all "Oh, that is nice. " Fake like. That is just the way she is.

My MIL sews(she made my wedding dress)so I was sooooooooooooo excited to show her the first HB Home I made for dd. She was really impressed that diapers had come so far. She LOVES all of my fitteds and laments that she had to use flats(I really want to try some)and plastic pants. She loves my wool, expecially ds's longies that I knit. Oh! She was in awe of the Snappi! :LOL

She did say that her kids all had a lot of rashes in cloth but I told her that I switched dd to cloth because the sposies were giving her a rash and that she was rash free in cloth.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#25 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBug & BabyBug
my dad asked DH if he wanted in the "family pool" about how long CDing will last, said the current bets range from 6 days to 2 weeks.
At my shower, DH's cousin's wife laughed when I said I'm gonna CD and said "yeah, that'll last about a week!" ..... and 10 months later here I am... LOL
#26 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 01:43 PM

MIL had 6 kids, 3 were CD, 3 were DD. She CD in the beginning because they were broke, then switched to DD when they had a little more money. She was skeptical at first, but only because she had to use flats, pins, and rubber pants. She is supportive now, although not gaga. Same with my mom. She never CD, and she thinks that whatever I want to do is just super. She says "the baby doesn't know one way or the other" (yeah, my a$$!) but she totally CD's him when she babysits, etc. My parents all think I'm a little over the edge but they are very supportive of my choices. Whew.
#27 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 01:47 PM

My MIL passed away when my 2nd child was about 3 months. She was very pro-cd! We used gauze flats back then and she would come over and help do laundry (and she did it however I wanted). I think she was really proud...she would tell everyone that her DIL used cloth!
#28 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 01:50 PM

I personaly try to block out any opnions my MIL has, but I think she disagrees with them, She must I like them My mother has always been supportive in say the idea of cloth, she thinks sposies are a waist of money and should be reserved for "special occasions" she views diapering as duh you us cloth and sposies are a convient luxery for extended outtings ect.. I tend to agree except I wouldn't call sposies a luxery. However she doesn't understand why we need to look past flats and gerber pants, she does thing my snappi is neat and shes okay with my prefolds, but thinks my fitted and AIOs an even my wraps are a waste of money.

Deanna
#29 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 02:35 PM

My mom: thinks they are gross, but she isn't too rude anymore. She used to just take the wet diapers off of dd, and shove them into the central compartment of the diaper bag, where the toys/clean clothes/clean diapers were. : No wetbag! Just to make a point. I caught her showing off Lucy's diapers to a family friend at a party recently.

My MIL: thinks it's cool. She thinks I am a little nutty about them, though. But, she lives in Turkey, and put her neighbor women to work knitting soakers and soaker shorts. She went to a wool shop the other day and bought tons of Merino wool to have them knit the baby some longies and a matching hat.

My Step-MIL: thinks it is gross. I can tell. She is very upper-class, kinda snooty, etc...she doesn't wanna get all yucky. She rarely changes dd when they babysit, even when we tell her to change every hour. She makes me put a towel down to protect her hardwood floors when I change dd on the ground.
#30 of 68 Old 06-27-2004, 02:40 PM

My MIL cd-ed all nine of her children, even though disposables came out when her 2nd or 3rd was a baby. She never liked "those paper diapers"! She and FIL love that we are going to cd "It's the best!"--though most of DH's sibs think we are nuts.

My mama passed away almost 10 years ago, but my dad (who now knows better than to judge anything I do...long story...) thinks it's neat. He said that they tried using cloth on me, but switched to disposables because it was easier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page