Would you knowingly buy from a WAHM who doesn't practice AP? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 76 Old 06-29-2004, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just realized the other day that I assume all the diaper WAHMs out there are attachment parents. Is that a silly assumption? Do you assume that too? Would you buy from a WAHM if you knew she didn't or thought she didn't practice AP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 76 Old 06-29-2004, 11:04 PM

I assume that most WAHMs who make diaper products probably lean more toward AP then not.But either way if they make good products , I'll buy.
#3 of 76 Old 06-29-2004, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Would you buy from a WAHM if you knew she didn't or thought she didn't practice AP?
Sure I would! If the product is good, and the service is good too, I would. I would still want to support another mama even if her parenting style is different than mine.
#4 of 76 Old 06-29-2004, 11:05 PM

hmmm, I figure most WAHMs are AP, but they dont have to be completely AP, just do some of the AP stuff. There ARE things that if I KNEW 100% that they did or didnt do(not AP stuff but other stuff I feel strongly about), I would not buy from them, but I havent come across one yet, LOL
#5 of 76 Old 06-29-2004, 11:05 PM

I think AP is different things to different people, and/or some practice it to a different degree.
For example, I'm definitely not AP, but I'm definitely not mainstream either.
For me personally, if someone makes/sells something I love, I don't really even think about what choices they make as parents, ya know what I mean?
#6 of 76 Old 06-29-2004, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Sure I would! If the product is good, and the service is good too, I would. I would still want to support another mama even if her parenting style is different than mine
Yep. Me too.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#7 of 76 Old 06-29-2004, 11:11 PM

To tell you the truth, I've never even thought about a WAHM's parenting style when I buy from her. All I notice is if she makes good diapers...and for a reasonable price! heh

I'm sure that we are all so different that we couldn't possibly match up to everyone's parenting style.

Liz
#8 of 76 Old 06-29-2004, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

I know there are many levels of AP, but basically I mean being a loving mother and attentive and all that. Like I wouldn't want to buy a diaper that was sewn while a baby cried in her crib or drank a propped up bottle in the corner by herself. I assume diaper WAHMs don't practice this type of parenting so I enjoy buying from them. But hypothetically if I knew one did practice that type of parenting I would feel uncomfortable buying from them. I guess I mean a very loose interpretation of AP.
#9 of 76 Old 06-29-2004, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If I found out they practiced Ezzo, I'd never buy another item from them again.

Seriously, I feel that strongly against Ezzo and his Baby-UN-wise.
#10 of 76 Old 06-29-2004, 11:14 PM

how would u know they were ap or not anyway?

if a wahm doesnt use a sling or formula feeds etc i'd still buy from her but if somehow i knew she spanked her kids i would avoid buying from her

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#11 of 76 Old 06-29-2004, 11:17 PM

If its a quality product that I really like--you bet!
#12 of 76 Old 06-29-2004, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much2luv
I know there are many levels of AP, but basically I mean being a loving mother and attentive and all that. Like I wouldn't want to buy a diaper that was sewn while a baby cried in her crib or drank a propped up bottle in the corner by herself. I assume diaper WAHMs don't practice this type of parenting so I enjoy buying from them. But hypothetically if I knew one did practice that type of parenting I would feel uncomfortable buying from them. I guess I mean a very loose interpretation of AP.
Well, I don't think I could ever find this out for sure, but if there were a way to know, it would certainly be important to me that the mom was respectful to her children. One of the reasons I like to support WAHM's is that I feel I'm helping moms take care of their kids. I agree with your take on not wanting to buy from a mom that was completely ignoring her babe.

There are a lot of quality products out there. There are lots of quality clothes - I try when possible to buy those made with fair labor practices. I'd try and do the same for my dipes.
#13 of 76 Old 06-29-2004, 11:25 PM

What difference does it make? Not everyone that cloth diapers is AP.
I am not AP, but I practice "AP" things.
If there's quality and the product works well, and is cute
who cares.
#14 of 76 Old 06-29-2004, 11:27 PM

I would.
#15 of 76 Old 06-29-2004, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Well, there is no way to know for sure. maybe if they sold Ezzo on their website or had some questionable links. But just like I *try* to avoid shopping at Walmart for ethical reasons I would really want to avoid a WAHM who had no respect for her children and practiced things I consider awful. Just to clarify, I'm not talking about formula feeding or using a crib or anything like that. I don't mean to say all mothers have to parent just as I do.
#16 of 76 Old 06-29-2004, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Hurry! Tell us before they close it.
#17 of 76 Old 06-30-2004, 12:01 AM

Heck yeah. It's not my job to tell mamas how to parent their kids. I only open my big mouth if something nasty is going on.

~Daednu
#18 of 76 Old 06-30-2004, 12:03 AM

"AP" is such a catch-phrase these days that I almost hate to hear it. It makes my stomach churn. But that's beside the point. I think anyone who is a WAHM making CD's is probably going to be a very instinctive parent. Just a guess.

Laura
Mom to three
#19 of 76 Old 06-30-2004, 12:12 AM

In general, I make every attempt possible to make sure that my money goes to support values I uphold (after all, that's why I try to buy from WAHMs in the first place!), so if I discovered a WAHM does something in her private life that I find reprehensible, I would likely look around for another place to shop. But I'm certainly not going around hunting up dirt!

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#20 of 76 Old 06-30-2004, 12:15 AM

product and believe in the whole spectrum of cloth diapering but I would not judge anyone for their parenting style.
#21 of 76 Old 06-30-2004, 12:33 AM

I prefer not to judge and accept people for who they are. If I like the products, I'll buy them.
#22 of 76 Old 06-30-2004, 12:47 AM

this thread is funny. over a year and a half ago, when i started sewing, i made lots of product and thought i was doing something nice and helping other moms while making a few bucks for my family...but the more i tried to do, the more detached i got from my own dd. she lived in the sling, usually... but i couldnt sew with her in it, and when i looked at her one day in a bouncy seat looking upset, and realized she had probably been in there for over an hour while i was just 'finishing' some stuff up...i had to re-evaluate what i was doing and where i was going with this.

so i stopped, and started up again only when it didnt take anything from her (naps, or after she was mobile and wanted to play by herself) and we are all happier....poorer, but happier :LOL

so while at first i was like 'huh, this thread is insanely judgemental, who cares what a mom does??' it made sense when I thought about it. i could of popped on a video or let her cry in another room and made and sold alot more....i am sure lots of moms probably make those decisions daily....and maybe the baby doesnt always win
#23 of 76 Old 06-30-2004, 01:12 AM

Hmm... not of she were an Ezzo-type freak. I try to put my money where my mouth is on all issues, I wouldn't stop at parenting issues. She wouldn't have to be a homebirthing, babywearing, co-sleeper but she could also not be a spanking CIO mom.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#24 of 76 Old 06-30-2004, 01:15 AM
nym

Yes, I would.
#25 of 76 Old 06-30-2004, 01:17 AM

How do you really know if you are supporting a wahm so she can stay home, or just supporting her glass unicorn collection? Either way, it is NONE of my business. If I knew she was using the money to buy crank, well, then that is different

Most diaper moms are pretty attentive to their kids. I know the main reason I am slowing/closing is because I have been too *un-attentive* to my kids for my liking and that interupts my personal view on parenting but should have nothing to do with my actual product. (compared to some mainstream people I pay too much attention to my kids LOL)

Unless of course you are like my FIL and thinks that everything has a vibe and wont eat out because it could have been made with "angry hands" and therefore will harm the harmony of his body

I'm seriously considering putting the kids in a mothers day out 2 days a week so that I can use that time to sew (to prevent closing) Does that make me non AP?

can you tell I have my knickers in a knot in regards to this question?
#26 of 76 Old 06-30-2004, 01:20 AM

Hey, I never said I don't want my money to go to support a glass unicorn collection! :LOL

I don't care where she is spending her money, that's none of my beeswax for sure. But, I don't buy products tested on animals so I won't buy products made by someone who spanks, etc...

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#27 of 76 Old 06-30-2004, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena
Hey, I never said I don't want my money to go to support a glass unicorn collection! :LOL

I don't care where she is spending her money, that's none of my beeswax for sure. But, I don't buy products tested on animals so I won't buy products made by someone who spanks, etc...
I do respect that... but bottom line though, I would think it totally an invasion of privacy to email a wahm and ask her if she spanks her children kwim?
#28 of 76 Old 06-30-2004, 01:45 AM

wow that Alex land stuff is freaky. Makes you really think about how many people are out there to scam you.
#29 of 76 Old 06-30-2004, 01:46 AM
Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aherne
Unless of course you are like my FIL and thinks that everything has a vibe and wont eat out because it could have been made with "angry hands" and therefore will harm the harmony of his body

I'm seriously considering putting the kids in a mothers day out 2 days a week so that I can use that time to sew (to prevent closing) Does that make me non AP?
: at your fil

on the mother's day out time. First, you make an awesome product. (I got one of your pockets off TP and its the only pocket I use in my normal stash). 2nd, I think its important to have mama-time. Sewing can be very cathartic and meditative. 3rd, providing your children with a fun, social environment is good for them. (unless they are really still in the shy stage and would be miserable-- my dd didn't enjoy sunday school until she was almost 3, and my 4yo didn't enjoy sunday school until he was 3.5 and they would've been miserable in MMOs before they accepted social time; my oldest was always happy to enjoy new scenes) Anyway, assuming your children have fun, then you would be providing them with a loving and interesting environment and good change of pace, while also allowing yourself to maintain some very important mama-time.

as for AP in general... "whatever"... I don't know what it means, as its more a checklist and don't know what percent one must check off to be AP. And also must say that love is not a checklist item, and one can do "all the right things" and yet have a child that might feel empty b/c afterall it was a checklist scenario, and not a "love me as I need to be loved" scenario (if you make a child that doesn't like slings live in a sling, then thats not love, eh?).
#30 of 76 Old 06-30-2004, 01:46 AM

I'm not sure if ya'll should buy anything from me since my dd spends 18 hours a day in the porta-a-crib-jail-type-thing in front of cartoons, in the same diaper, with a bottle of cool-aid propped in her mouth, while I smoke cigarettes, drink Zima and sew in my corner. She also better not cry or I'll give her a whippin.

: :nana:

Just kidding. I think AP is different for everyone & every family has a different comfort level. As long as i know they're not abusive, etc, I'd buy.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page