Mothering Forum banner

Wash with baking soda and rinse with vinegar every time

2K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  pilesoflaundry 
#1 ·
Why not do this every time you wash your diapers?

#10 ·
I use baking soda often, but if I use vinegar in the rinse, Emily gets a rash. I have no idea why... and we have soft water too.

With hard water, I have heard that vinegar can make your diapers stink. I'm not sure.

I'm still using Sport Wash with great results. My water must like it.

Teri

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiaPia
I don't use vinegar at all, but I've used baking soda in my diaper pail ever since I started CDing (2 1/2 years ago) and I have never ever had a problem with my PUL or anything else!

I'm glad to hear this, because my wash routine includes baking soda as well--and I only just figured out a routine that works for us!

Alison

#12 ·
Vinegar will make your diapers stink worse if you have hard water, it took me a little while to figure that out and it took even longer to get them not stinky anymore.

I really hope bs isn't bad for pul because I wash everything once a week with tto and baking soda and sometimes use it in the washer when I use detergent on the other days to remove stink and stuff.

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmd
I just started doing my own cloth diapering (had a diaper service until a month ago). Sorry to be so ignorant, but what does PUL stand for?
Something or other laminate, I can only remember the L right now. The water proof outside of pocket dipes like fuzzibuns and other companies that make covers, pocket dipes and certain aios.

#17 ·
It seems strange to me that either would be bad for any of the materials since they have been touted for who knows how long as excellent, extremely gentle household and laundry cleaners. I can see how the vinegar might cause something to stink over time if it built up.

What I've been doing lately is washing with a little bit of detergent and 1/2 cup baking soda, adding 1/3 cup vinegar to the first rinse and then running a second rinse with nothing. I sure hope that helps to get everything out. I've only been CD for about 2 months so I'm pretty new to all of this. I don't use PUL very often at all so I'm not too concerned about that. I just want a way to make sure my dipes don't get stinky over time.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmd
what does PUL stand for?
Polyurethane laminate. It's a waterproof, nonbreathable, plastic material used in some covers and all-in-ones (AIOs), akin to the old fashioned rubber pants.

#25 ·
Didn't see your post, or wasn't certain it was directed to me, specifically - sometimes it's hard to keep up on this board format, since you cannot be sure when a message is for you.

Re: your PUL breakdown question:

I don't know how it does it specifically, but it does, just like any other enzymatic cleaner. In my experience and research, PUL does not hold up well to heavy use of baking soda over time, unfortunately.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2kyla
I've never heard of baking soda being bad for PUL.. and really dont see how it could be, lol. It used to be rumoured that vinegar was bad for PUL... but according to Fabrite (the company that supplies most WAHM PUL) this is untrue.
Yes, I've never noticed vinegar affecting laminate fabrics one way or the other, either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.