Anyone used 7th Generation Free & Clear detergent and/or homemade detergent? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-08-2004, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering about your experiences. We've been slowly changing over everything in our house to natural alternatives. I read somewhere though (maybe the archives here...) that natural free & clear detergents didn't work well on dipes. Is this true? Any idea why? I've also made our own detergent before, and had considered doing this again. In that case I would probably use 1/2 bar of grated Dr Bronners soap + washing soda = liquid detergent. How does homemade detergent work on dipes?

FWIW, I am willing to change to a mainstream brand of free & clear detergent (like Tide or Era) for dipes only if it's what will work best. DH has eczema, plus we both have allergies, so I prefer the free & clear type.

TIA!

Holly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 07-08-2004, 02:03 PM

I occasionally use All or Tide (free and clear for both) but for the most part, I use my own laundry powder and I don't notice a huge build up or anything

Chris Mama of J, A, C and M
Surromama of four
#3 of 12 Old 07-08-2004, 02:17 PM

I use 7th Generation or Allen's Naturally. I also rinse with distilled white vinegar every other wash & we haven't noticed any build-up probems. HTH!

AmiBeth

#4 of 12 Old 07-08-2004, 04:54 PM

I make my own laundry powder from borax, washing soda, and fels naptha soap.

Its my understanding that soap, and washing soda are both bad for dipes. So i went out and bought some commercial laundry powder just for out dipes.
#5 of 12 Old 07-08-2004, 05:26 PM

I think it depends on what kind of diapers you're using whether the 7th Generation is good/bad. Usually they say that natural soaps leave a residue on fleece. However, Allen's Naturally is recommended for fuzzi bunz and that IS a natural soap. Hmmm.... I wouldn't recommend the homemade soap for dipes. I was using this for quite awhile too on my regular laundry and I thought it was hard on my clothes. They don't recommend washing soda for dipes because it breaks down the fibers too quickly. Just what I've heard!

Liz~A wife and homeschooling mother to two gifts from God!
#6 of 12 Old 07-08-2004, 05:58 PM

I use 7th generation Free and Clear and have no issues with it. It works fine, in fact, better than the Purex Free and Clear I was using. We do use a vinegar rinse every once and awhile.
#7 of 12 Old 07-08-2004, 06:24 PM

I use 7th gen on everything with no probs... I did have probs with my borax/dr. bronners homemade stuff.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#8 of 12 Old 07-08-2004, 07:03 PM

I also use 7 G free on my dipes- i only use prefolds, though. So far I have had no problems, but I do not think it does that great of a job with really dirty stuff in my laundry.
I am going to try ECOS free next- any word on that? What about dr. bronners sal suds?
#9 of 12 Old 07-08-2004, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenh
I also use 7 G free on my dipes- i only use prefolds, though. So far I have had no problems, but I do not think it does that great of a job with really dirty stuff in my laundry.
I am going to try ECOS free next- any word on that? What about dr. bronners sal suds?
Thanks for all the feedback so far! I have tried the regular ECOS in the past & did not care for it, which is why we're using the 7th Generation one now. Seemed like our clothes weren't really clean, KWIM?

We've actually been pretty happy with the 7G. On stains I usually put some on a toothbrush & scrub the stain directly though, so that may be why. Even stains I've run through the wash already will generally come out with a good scrubbing.

Holly
#10 of 12 Old 07-08-2004, 07:54 PM

I have been using 7th Gen on my wonderoos because dd had many reactions to other detergeants. Allen's Naturally and 7th gen is okay to use. But i just read my bottle and it says natural CItrus scent..it contains citrus oil..isnt this what makes them wick? That is the reason you cant use natural detergeants because they often contain oils. I thought i had gotten the free & clean 7th gen..any thoughts? :
#11 of 12 Old 07-08-2004, 08:00 PM

hmmmm, my bottle of 7th Gen is free and clear and does not say that is has any citrus oil. very interesting ....
#12 of 12 Old 07-08-2004, 08:08 PM

7th generation makes two different kinds and i didn't know. This is all they had at Down to Earth(store) so that is what i got. I looked on their web site and they make Free & Clear and Natural Citrus Scent(citrus oil).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page