One way to save money with 'sposies over CD's - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

#61 of 74 Old 07-10-2004, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How revolting! That poor little baby For me, that borders on neglect. But that's my own .02. With my first dd, she was in sposies till I found cloth at 7 mos and we spent a large fortune- because I changed her every hour or so, we easily went through 15 dipes a day. Now I change the little monkey every hour or so when we're home, and when we go out she's in a fleece lined pocket or hemp dipe with fleece against her skin and wool and change as often as possible. She has started sleeping through most nights, but she's like her big sister and doesn't pee much at night so when she wakes up she's wet, but not soaked and we have a great nighttime system to keep her skin dry. She's at the difficult to change, flailing octopus stage, but I can't stand the thought of her sitting in pee or poop..

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 74 Old 07-10-2004, 01:33 AM

Poor Baby. I guess we have to hope they realize how gross it is and start changing her more often. Kaylor & Isabella get agitated with me for interrupting their playtime so often to change them.

maybe when they're older she only change them 4 times day at most.
#63 of 74 Old 07-10-2004, 02:23 AM

I don't change my toddler at night, since he sleeps 10-11 hours without waking. He either wears a pocket diaper, a hemp diaper with fleece liner and wool cover, or if DH is in charge of bedtime (which is more common now that we've got our month old) an evil Huggies Overnight! I

do find we're using more sposies on my toddler now, as he goes to early intervention classes during the week, and those last a few hours. Now, for those classes, they will change your child's diaper, but ONLY if they're poopy, so when I pick him up a lot of the time he's got a huge puffy diaper.

My month old gets changed as often as I wake up. We co-sleep, and the first month he was getting changed every couple hours at night or more often. Now we're both getting the hang of night-nursing better, so I don't wake up fully as often, so he'll only get 2 or 3 changes a night. We've got a pack and play in our room with a changing table on it, so I'll change the dipes and leave in the pack and play until morning. And I do use sposies on him when we run errands, too. I feel very wasteful, though, cause I change his diaper at least once an hour most of the time, and that's a lot of diapers to throw away! Once he moves up to the bigger size, I'll have more cloth diapers to go around, so we won't have to use sposies anymore, but for now, I'd have to do laundry every day (well I'm doing that, but I'd have to do diaper loads every day) to keep him in cloth.

#64 of 74 Old 07-11-2004, 03:44 AM

changing babes 8-10 times during the day, and 4 times a day, is a huge difference!!

4 times a day, I could never do that. That's 1 time a hour or so after they wake, once before nap, once after dinner, and once before bed time!

The parents who change 4 times a day, have no idea that baby might be uncomfortable, they just are trying to save $$!!

Why don't they just consider cloth?????

Shoot a few doz cpf's and some snappis and pull-up pants for $70 you could diaper any kid till potty training!

$70 equals about 3 months for a 4 time a day dd changer. Or 1 mo for us all the time changers.

My DH remembers when his ma CD'd they even used the reg sized cpf's on even the tinyest babies, no need to buy bigger sizes, the baby would just have a huge butt for a few months! LOL!

I change my babies quite a bit, and always have pretty much right after they wet, but after the 3rd baby, I'm not so hyper on it, let him sit for a while in a wet one, somedays are just hard to get everything done perfectly!! We sleep with baby in the bed, so it was always easy to change them. Flashlight, all dipe supplies neatly on the table next to bed, and dirty sac on the floor next to bed, helps a LOT!

Now that he's 16 mo, he rarely wets in the middle of the night, but I change him if I'm awake enough, and sometimes I don't.
#65 of 74 Old 07-11-2004, 04:43 AM

That is so gross. A friend of mine only changed her dd 2x a day to save $. That is just so terrible, I couldn't imagine doing that just to save a few bucks.
#66 of 74 Old 07-12-2004, 04:28 PM

EGAD! If they really want to save money why not just EC! Poor little girl. I can barely stand to have diapers on DD at all, they are changed often and more or less naked a lot. I think my jaw would drop and stay there if I heard that in real life, I'd be motionless!!!

I hope they realize when they get to wear diapers, their DD might decide they need it only changed once a day!

Sarah :c) ~ love.gif Emily (8) orngbiggrin.gif  Toby (5) angel2.gif Bean (7/2012)

#67 of 74 Old 07-12-2004, 04:45 PM

good thing I wasn't there, because I would have gone into an entirely too detailed explaination of the chemicals in the sposies and the potential hazards of them, particularly when left on for extended times like that!!! Wow! Did you say anything? I have found it so hard not to be opinionated about this subject, so I do have to watch myself sometimes!!!
#68 of 74 Old 07-12-2004, 05:15 PM

How sad.
#69 of 74 Old 07-12-2004, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing
I bring a few to bed with us, next to our bed. When baby wakes up in the night, I change him, and I drop the wet diaper on the floor till morning.
Me, too.... maybe 3 times per night.
#70 of 74 Old 07-12-2004, 05:48 PM

That's gross... sadly it's rather common. We had a couple from across the street over with their 2 yr old daughter for supper one evening. Early in their visit, they observed that she was pooping... then left her to run around in the poop the entire next two hours they were at our house-- they lived ACROSS the street! Not to mention, I have a changing table in my own house. I get so many comments from people about how they would use cloth but... *wouldn't be able to go anywhere (I go places??), * would have to change their baby all the time (so? It wouldn't cost any more to do), *the laundry would be too hard (It's one more load every couple days... not that hard), *more difficult to change (not really...)
I hate hearing the excuses... even more I hate that people let their kids run around in their crap.
#71 of 74 Old 07-12-2004, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinzluvsGJ
I hate hearing the excuses... even more I hate that people let their kids run around in their crap.

I couldn't agree more! I know money can get really tight, but aren't there other ways these families can save money other than let their kiddos sit in nasty diapers all day? When dd#1 was a baby we had NO MONEY and I still managed to change her sposies frequently. Yuck yuck yuck!
#72 of 74 Old 07-23-2004, 09:59 PM

I don't change overnight. We use a Fuzzibunz with 2 Babykicks duz-it-alls. Because of the fleece, DS seems pretty dry in the morning and has no rash problem. It *really* disturbs both of our sleep to change him at night, and it's not a good tradeoff for us, IMO.

I also change Fuzzibunz every 3 hours or so during the day, unless he poops. Again, no rash problem. And Ethan hates to have his play disturbed for diaper changes so I'm certain he'd prefer to be changed *less* frequently than I change him!

We've only had rash problems if using non stay-dry diapers (i.e. prefolds in a wrap). I think the FB fleece is very effective at Ethan dry.

Bracing for the flames

BTW, I do think using only 4 disposables a day is gross, unless the child only pees 4x - yucky gel on the buttom, eeewww!
#73 of 74 Old 07-23-2004, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawoof
I don't change overnight. We use a Fuzzibunz with 2 Babykicks duz-it-alls. Because of the fleece, DS seems pretty dry in the morning and has no rash problem. It *really* disturbs both of our sleep to change him at night, and it's not a good tradeoff for us, IMO.

I also change Fuzzibunz every 3 hours or so during the day, unless he poops. Again, no rash problem. And Ethan hates to have his play disturbed for diaper changes so I'm certain he'd prefer to be changed *less* frequently than I change him!

We've only had rash problems if using non stay-dry diapers (i.e. prefolds in a wrap). I think the FB fleece is very effective at Ethan dry.

Bracing for the flames

BTW, I do think using only 4 disposables a day is gross, unless the child only pees 4x - yucky gel on the buttom, eeewww!

this conversation goes round and round and round.

You change your baby when he needs changing... *thats* all that matters! He's happy, you're happy. You dont put your needs ahead his health. (ie that is 33 cents worth of diaper you are going to sit in it until it can absorb no more!!) That is one of the reasons I dont use sposies because that is how I would be. At least I can admit it!
#74 of 74 Old 07-24-2004, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Edwards
So seriously, all of you get up at night and change diapers on your sleeping kiddos? No one responded earlier....
Not any more. Not sure why, but with both my kids, they only pee when they are awake. Both started to stay dry at night at around 5-6 mos. old. When my baby pees, it's very early in the AM around 4 AM when she wakes up for a bit, then goes back to sleep. She will flood that diaper and I'm too lazy to change it until she's up for good around 5:30. Then she will soak the clean dipe I put on her and that gets changed as soon as it's wet.

I never have kept up with how many dipes I go through in a day but it's at least every 1.5-2 hours during the day, whenever I notice it's wet.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page