One way to save money with 'sposies over CD's - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last week I was in NY visiting my parents (and I took all CD's - no 'sposies). My brother & his family were there frequently (too frequently - but that's another vent) and he seemed to be very curious about my use of CD's (especially since I had some fluffy mail off of the TP delivered there!). He asked how much they were and if I was saving any money. I could see where he was going and I wasn't going to be sucked in. I told him that I could very well save money but I just hadn't realized the savings yet (and probably won't until I sell them when we're finished with diapers). CD's are really the only thing that we spend on Chloe and I've been kind of spoiling her (okay, me) with them. So here is what he said....

"Well, we buy Marissa's (my 20 month old niece's) diapers in 80 count packages at Wal-Mart. They're like $10.00 a package. They last us at least 20 days because we change her 4 times a day at most."

: : : :ignore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 03:11 PM

aww that poor girl

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#3 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 03:11 PM

Poor baby bum . . . how aweful for her.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#4 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 03:14 PM

that is gross, unless she is like this little girl in the daycare that actually only pees/poos AT MOST 4 times A DAY. We think she had diabetes and I wouldnt doubt it because she only eats cookies and candy and will LITERALLY come to daycare with a CANDY BAR for breakfast!!! :Puke
#5 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 03:17 PM

WHAT are they thinking? The poor baby.
#6 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 03:19 PM

for that little girl...egads!
#7 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 03:22 PM

He's just saying that to make him look good, like he's spending so little money.
Or at least hopefully, surely they change her more than 4 times a day
#8 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 03:29 PM

That's so strange. I've never heard of this "change the baby only 4 times per day" phenomenon. I mean I haven't had a baby yet, so maybe I didn't realize this, but I always thought you changed the baby whenever they pottied or when they wake up if they were sleeping.
#9 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 03:44 PM

Eeeewwww!
#10 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 03:44 PM

Poor baby. It's unfortunate, but there are alot of kids in sposies that don't get changed enough.
#11 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiValleySteph
That's so strange. I've never heard of this "change the baby only 4 times per day" phenomenon. I mean I haven't had a baby yet, so maybe I didn't realize this, but I always thought you changed the baby whenever they pottied or when they wake up if they were sleeping.
Actually I think this is very common among sposie users, people wan't to get the most for their money and think of them as porta potties. Ya change 'em when they are full.
#12 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 04:26 PM

oh barf.. that is so gross.

Tammy
#13 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 04:40 PM

Definitely gross, and definitely common.

Seems that many, many (not all) parents who use sposies think that because it CAN hold 2+ cups of fluid, that it SHOULD always be used until it holds 2+ cups of fluid.

I would mention to the parents, gently of course, that it is not water in that diaper, but waste product, and that baby's skin would love to be cleaned off. What would they do if she vomited on herself? They certainly wouldn't leave her clothes on because there were still some clean spots. Okay, granted, that's probably not quite the same analogy, but not too far off.
#14 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 04:42 PM

That's so gross. Why would anyone deliberately keep their child in pee and poop just to save money?! Sadly, it happens all the time. We live in a poor rural area and people do that ALL the time. They even tell the staff at the daycare - why do you have to change them so much?! (every 2 hours)
#15 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 04:44 PM

Poor thing!

I had a similar thing happen yesterday when I was at my sisters. My niece needed to be changed and when I told my sister she said "Well it has been 4 hours" She didn't see anything wrong with it. I should have said something but I didn't. I just don't get how people can think sitting in a wet, heavy sposie is good for their kids? *sigh*
#16 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 04:46 PM

I have observed with some parents I know that their toddler gets a new diaper first thing in the morning and last thing before bed, and nothing else all day unless he poops. :
#17 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 04:51 PM

I have been a combo user of CD and 'sposies, and I even think that's gross. I never complained when the daycare stated they changed the babies every 2 hours, or if they discovered baby was wet (even if it hadn't been two hours). It is what I did at home anyway.

If someone said that to me, I probably would have said "That's really disgusting. I haven't hear something that gross in a really long time" I am not very, umm, diplomatic, though :LOL It is possible that he hasn't really even thought about it.

I like the puke analogy though...I may use it.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#18 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 04:53 PM

Aw... poor kid!!!
#19 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Uggghh, that's no good. Poor little girl...

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#20 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 05:03 PM

I think it's definitly like that with a lot of sposie users- did you ever notice they pinch the diaper to see if it's "full"? I've had a lot of mom's who use sposies notice how much I change my babes and say, "I could never deal with changing them so often..." Most of the time I'd change my babe so often (especially in front of people) just to show off his cute dipes! LOL

I have so many beautiful diapers for Savannah that I'm going to have to change her all the time in front of people just to show them off! LOL She'll be born the end of Sept so they'll be covered with clothes all fall and winter
(ok, I got sidetracked...)

SAHMama to the "Fantastic Four"- 10 yr old b/g twins, 7 yr old boy, 5 yr old girl... : and expecting a miracle baby Feb. 2010...: Married for 11 yrs to my handsome Police Officer :cop:
#21 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 05:07 PM

My sisters both are like that. It grosses me out too!

I know for a fact one of my sisters can make 3 diapers last all day long!!! Ewwwwwie!
#22 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 05:11 PM

Although this is not always true....
In my experience with this kind of attitude, the parents FF their babies. Talk about expences!! :
#23 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 05:12 PM

Is this really prevalent? That's horrible.
I've been using sposies since ds was born (finally ordering my cloth this week once my paypal is hooked up!) and I'm surrounded by sposie users, but I've never seen that. Baby gets changed
A) as soon as they poop
B) as soon as someone realizes they're wet
C) if it's been a while, just because. That's every hour or so, maybe a little longer if out and about.
D) upon waking for the morning or from a nap.
4 changes a day is disgusting, we easily use that many diapers before noon!
#24 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 05:16 PM

nak (still LOL)

i use sposies on DS and change him.....adding...6 times a day. I would do it more, but he goes dry for hours then floods. How 'bout sitting on the potty whem you have to pee??? NOOOOOO! 'k fine :LOL

when dd was in disposables, i changed her 10-12 times a day. one of the reasons we went to cloth for her. i got sick of throwing away a perfectly dry diaper because it had a smiggen of poop on it. Much nicer to just chuck it in the washer

4 times a day???? gross. especially when you look at it this way. 1 diaper in the morning and 1 at night before bed. that leaves 2 diapers for the entire day...say 12 hours. ew ew ew ew ew. And what about the poop?

:Puke
#25 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaiBee
Last week I was in NY visiting my parents (and I took all CD's - no 'sposies). My brother & his family were there frequently (too frequently - but that's another vent) and he seemed to be very curious about my use of CD's (especially since I had some fluffy mail off of the TP delivered there!). He asked how much they were and if I was saving any money. I could see where he was going and I wasn't going to be sucked in. I told him that I could very well save money but I just hadn't realized the savings yet (and probably won't until I sell them when we're finished with diapers). CD's are really the only thing that we spend on Chloe and I've been kind of spoiling her (okay, me) with them. So here is what he said....

"Well, we buy Marissa's (my 20 month old niece's) diapers in 80 count packages at Wal-Mart. They're like $10.00 a package. They last us at least 20 days because we change her 4 times a day at most."

: : : :ignore
Well my DD is 20 months and she goes through about 8-10 diapers a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEEPAE
that is gross, unless she is like this little girl in the daycare that actually only pees/poos AT MOST 4 times A DAY. We think she had diabetes and I wouldnt doubt it because she only eats cookies and candy and will LITERALLY come to daycare with a CANDY BAR for breakfast!!! :Puke
Actually as disgusting as this diet is if she was diabetic she's be peeing all the time.
#26 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 05:28 PM

I hope you did an " oh my god!!! thats terrible? what is the state of her BUM sitting in ammonia all day???"
#27 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 05:59 PM

I guess I'll play devil's advocate here. I know I change Genevieve more than four times a day, but I also know she can absolutely have a dry diaper up to four hours, simply because she's starting to hold her bladder for longer periods. She probably gets changed 8-10 times a day but now she's telling me when she's wet or poopy and will say "change diaper". Also, I don't change her at night so does that make my girls one of those "poor babies" that some of you are talking about just because they sleep through the night and I don't wake up myself to go wake them up to change diapers? I mean with Genevieve that's pushing 10 sometimes 12 hours. Audrey gets 7-8 hours of sleep and then she wakes to eat, which I change her before I feed her.

And, when I did the pinch test when using disposables, I didn't do it to see if it were full, but to see if it was wet.
#28 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 06:07 PM

Yuck yuck yuck... How sad.

Mama K: Child of God, wife to S, mama to 3 little beauties and 1 handsome little guy!

#29 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 06:13 PM

I know of someone who does this with cloth. She once said that she requires a diaper to hold for at least 4 hours before changing it (again cloth diaper). I asked her why and she said it was because she didn't want to change the diaper more often. I told her it was probably better if she did change it more often and she never replied back.

Personally it makes me feel good to change Nathan within minutes of pee'ing and I know he prefers it too. I try not to judge but times like this it's difficult.
#30 of 74 Old 07-09-2004, 06:29 PM

We were at an outdoor play group today for about 3 hours and I don't think I saw one other mommy changing their baby (no one there cd's). Ds got changed twice, but he always poos after I put on that new clean dipe... I don't think mamas that have only used sposies understand how wet that diaper really is-all of that "goop" that turns it to gel..if they could see how dripping wet my ds's cloth dipe would be after three hours maybe they would have a better idea... poor babies.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page