What is the difference between turned and turned and topstiched? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-13-2004, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help!
#2 of 11 Old 07-13-2004, 01:12 AM

there was a thread about this just a day or so ago, the same exact question, LOL

I think 1 is what you do for a pocket and leave an opening and the other you turn and then stitch it on the top to close it. but I may be wrong, just trying to recall what I read.
#3 of 11 Old 07-13-2004, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Ok how do I miss these threads? This board moves way too fast!
#4 of 11 Old 07-13-2004, 02:48 AM

Practically speaking turned leaves marks on Nathan unless I leave it super loose (think Daisy Doodles or old style Darling Diaper AIO's) while turned and topstitched evens out the pressure through the elastic and don't leave marks while keeping things trimmer than serged (think BottomBumpers or BeccaBottoms).
#5 of 11 Old 07-13-2004, 03:44 AM

Actually I've never seen anything that's just been turned and not topstitched. Does that work? Wouldnt it try to turn itself inside out again?

A turned and topstitched item is sewn inside out, you leave a gap, turn it the right way round and carefully fold the raw edges in. They you stitch very close to the edge all the way round the item. Keeps the seams in place - but I have heard some say here that they develop holes at the edges which makes sense to me.

I made quite a few diapers for Eliza that were t&t but didnt like the effect of it. Once you have some hemp in there, you have an extremely thick seam that breaks the sewing machine needles. That I'll leave to the experts.
#6 of 11 Old 07-13-2004, 03:51 AM

As far as I know pocket diapers are turned and only topstitched in some areas whereas diapers like HoneyBoys are topstiched all the way around ... topstitching keeps things like seams and elastic all in the right place and prevents the shifting that would occur otherwise.

To avoid the REALLY thick edges (and the subsequent needle pieces flying through the air at your head ... believe me I've done it too) you can trim the seam to 1/3 - 1/4 of an inch and topstich beside it not through it.

tireless sewer of teeny little clothes for Bamboletta dolls ...

#7 of 11 Old 07-13-2004, 04:26 AM

For turned, think Happy Heiny's...

For turned and topstitched, (which IMNSHO looks better) think Knickernappies.
#8 of 11 Old 07-13-2004, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't tried a single diaper you guys listed :LOL You can choose what you want at Becca Bottoms and it sounds like t&t is the way to go. Thanks
#9 of 11 Old 07-13-2004, 05:23 PM

not to confuse you more, but I find that topstitching often leads to wicking after some time. let's see.. maybe some others you might be familiar with that aren't topstitched are very baby AIOs, bumkins AIOs, and chumbas super trim AIO. Topstitching is fine in my book, as long as it doesn't include the leg elastic area. Every AIO I've ever tried with an elastic casing/topstitching in the leg area has wicked at the stitching far before any of my turned AIOs without topstitching. Just something to think about. Or just to confuse you more It's just a matter of preference in most cases... just thought I'd throw mine out there too!

Amber
#10 of 11 Old 07-13-2004, 09:50 PM

The only way it is gonna wick is if it was topstitched in cotton or cotton wrapped poly thread. If it was topstitched in poly thread ( and the ones I have are) it doesn't wick.
#11 of 11 Old 07-13-2004, 10:05 PM

See, I have to disagree with that. Our FB have to be treated with DWR every couple of months right there at the stitching for the elastic casing, but the AIO's I make myself, and my chumbas super trims (some of which have been used for very close to two years) can go for six months or more without ever needing treated with the DWR. I also made some of my own that I topstitched the puL, and even though I used poly thread, and it's a solid PUL with a DWR spray on it, they eventually wick at the stitching. Not right away of course, but sooner than those without the stitching. Everyone has a different experience I suppose, but 90% of what we use now are AIOs, and I've slowly gotten rid of anything with topstiching around the leg area.. all except our FB that we use at night, and those I'm just willing to put up with treating them every couple of months because we don't leave the house in them so if they start to wick, at least I'm not in the grocery store with ice cream melting and a baby who has wet clothing (which, btw.. has never happened with any AIO except those with stitching at the legs). I'm talking about solid PUL only.. We don't do prints anymore since they never work for us.. stitching or no stitching.. laminated or not.. they wick within the first couple months every single time so we gave up.

Amber

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page