Mothering Forum banner

11 days and counting before.....

467 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Julia24 
#1 ·
I have to go out and buy another package of sposies!!!
:

I need a solution to my nighttime diapering issue before then, please help - I'm REALLY trying not to spend my $$ that way!

DD is 2 years 4 months and daytrained. She doesn't pee a lot at nighttime, but she does pee a lot at one time. I only switched to cloth a few months ago to aid in naptime training - and then decided to 'experiment' fulltime on the little girl I babysit. Anyhow....

We tried HHs and they just don't work for her bc she's a side sleeper and there's zero absorbtion around the leg holes (kwim?). Now I'm leaning towards a fitted of some sort with a wool cover - that can still fit under her jammies.

Here's what I'm thinking - A SP wool cover with a snap in hemp diap, a MOE microterry insert on top of that (or maybe just some sort of microterry doubler) and then a fleece liner on that? Should I go for the SP regular dipe instead?

what to do what to do what to do.....

I read somewhere that microterry absorbs faster, but hemp holds the dam - is that true? I'm on the wait list for a 3 FCB NL and 2 wool covers, but it looks like it'll be months by then; I need a solution NOW!

Any wisdom from you CDing goddesses?????

See less See more
#2 ·
I know I sound like a broken record but............

I SWEAR by Angelwraps fleece AIO. These are her TRUE AIO with an internal soaker & a wrap around front that I think gives an extra boost in the wet zone.

She makes them with either lightweight of heavy windpro with a knit or flannel inner. She has made me a matching liner that is micro topped for overnight. SHe even made mine a little trimmer thru the crotch than normal because I love trim diapers!

Henry is 2 years old & sleeps sometimes for 12 hours & he has NEVER.....I repeat NEVER peed thru one of these!! I can't explain it but I know they work & they may solve your problem.

Another thing that took me years to learn was this: whenever you put cotton PJS on, the wetness is going to wick onto the cotton. It is just the nature of the beast~especially now when cotton PJS are made so snug. I use only microfleece pants in the winter with a tee & just a tee & an AIO in the summer. This goes a long way towards a dry bed in the morning!!

HTH!!

#3 ·
The only thing we can use at night are FCB Night Lights, so I am of no help there. I just wanted to say that I have heard that using a microterry insert next to baby's skin will cause baby's skin to dry out a lot. I'm not sure if it's true, but it seems to make sense (it is really absorbany, not a natural fiber and pulls wetness away), but I have heard that before. Maybe someone here knows for sure?

#4 ·
Keeping my 2 year old's pjs and bed dry were the force behind my coming back to cloth with him earlier this year. We'd used cloth for the first 18 months with a diaper service, then I decided since he was in the not going through diapers every hour stage I'd just use sposies.
: When he started waking up 90% of the time with wet pjs and sheets (he sleeps 10-11 hours now, then more like 12) I decided we needed to figure things out!

I bought one Kiwi Pie Wool sidesnapping cover, which I started using over whatever sposie he was wearing at night - yes, I know that sounds totally contradictory and crazy, but it works! Then I started building up my CD stash. Occasionally we use Fuzzibuns at night, but I still prefer anything with a wool cover. Even if the diaper is soaked, the wool works! I made a few butt sweaters, too, but the KP is the go-to cover for night. I try to use as trim of a fitted as possible, but his butt is usually pretty big. His pjs do stay dry - and they're the cotton, tight-fitting ones!

Good luck!

Laura

#5 ·
If you are thinking of a wool cover for night my favorite is Aristocrats. Nothing pretty and they take a little longer to dry after washing but I have never, ever had a leak. They hug the legs a little more like shorts and keep everything in. I'd also go for a SP dipe instead of a snap in.

#6 ·
What kind of budget are you on? I'd suggest something simple like a snappied toddler prefold (make sure it's broken in) topped with a L Joey buns hemp insert. SP diapers are definately on the lower end of the absorbancy spectrum, the fabric she uses is really wimpy for hemp. If you really want an absorbant hemp fitted you might try Bizzy B hive or cloud nnine softies.

SP wool covers are nice but for a supersoaker you really have to get one that's been abused a bit because they aren't heavily felted when new. For more waterprooffness look for a Kiwi Pie australian wool (these are really thick) or Bizzi B hive Wool (not as thick as KP wool but more heavily felted than SP). An aristocrat may also be a good option.

#7 ·
Hmm...my baby is not as old as yours(only 10 months), but she is a super soaker and sometimes sleeps 14 hours. Recently we were in search of night time solutions too and someone here recommended Sugarplumbaby hemp dipes. I am eternally grateful, because we finally found our match.

The first night we used them she was in the dipe for 14 hours and then did a poop right when she woke up-- and no leaks whatsoever. The diaper was not even soaked thru to the outside like ours were before. We use SP wool at night and love it, but in regards to your idea with the snap-in I'm not sure how that would go. We have one snap-in and I find it doesn't have a good seal around the legs(maybe because the front doesn't attach to anything??). And if I stuff it with anything it just gaps more. We also have a side snap SP's hemp fitted and I would recommend that over the snap-in.

My experience with microfleece is also mixed. I found it stays very 'wet' feeling, so sometimes even with a fleece liner my daughters skin would feel saturated in the mornings. I also heard from the company who makes them that the whole drying out thing is a myth and must say from my experience that seems to be true. She's never gotten irritated by it, but then we also always use either a fleece or paper liner directly next to her skin. My complaint with them is that they soak thru as fast as anything else and I find them bulky, they are pretty wide. I do use them during the day sometimes, but not such a great choice for night time imo.

My suggestion is www.sugarplumbaby.com They're hemp, they're quick drying, they're super trim, they're reasonably priced and she has some very cute prints as well. My side snap SP's fitted seems to be just as good(I've only tried it once so far), but the sugarplumbaby's are just a little more affordable. Have you tried adding a wool liner? They work wonders! We use wool liners from http://www.punkinbutt.com/diaper_inserts.asp I put the liner on top of the snap in soaker of the dipe and then put 2 more hemp doublers(growing greens hourglass) over that and top it all off with a microfleece liner. Voila! You would only probably need one or two wool liners max, since they air out during the day and are reused just like the covers, except when soiled of course.

Hth!

#8 ·
So, what you're telling me is that not only will the SP fitted probably not do the job, but the wool cover isn't designed to hold up to overnight wear either? crap crap crap.

Kiwi Pie doesn't do me much good since they're next to impossible to come by, and I'm just turned off by the crat bc everyone says what a HUGE butt they get when in it. Maybe I need to just get over that.....

I need to know that the fitted will fit inside the cover neatly (and I'm trying to stay away from PUL) - I haven't tried many dipes, so I tend to want things by the same maker so I know they'll fit, kwim?
:

I'm also concerned that my two year old will throw a ginormous fit if I try to put her in a pf, she's been in sposies her whole life - I'm kind of stuck on the fitted idea, although I'm DEFINITELY feelin' the pf love for the 15 month old I watch. I bought only 3 and always go for them first - SO trim!!!

Does supersoaker mean they wet a ton - or just a lot at one time (like I think she prolly just goes once in the early morning, say 5 ish?)???

What cover do I use if I get the BBH hemp?? What about just a Kissaluvs with a Fleece topped JB??? Kind of backwards according to the aforementioned idea (microterry close to body - Hemp for long term control) I HAVE a sz2 Kissaluvs, so that'd be less to buy. (or just a JB with a fleece liner)

Keep em' comin' ladies!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.