Any good wool soakers for less than $20 out there? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 57 Old 07-17-2004, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that is asking a lot, but are there? My son is 25-26 pounds right now (almost 18 months old)...I was going to get a Baby World New Zealand Wool Soaker but it says the XL only fits up to 25 pounds. Any suggestions?
#2 of 57 Old 07-17-2004, 12:03 PM

http://www.rumpknits.com/store/

I ordered one from her a few weeks ago -- the prices are amazing (under $20), the quality is excellent and she ships right away. The only issue I have with my soaker (the citrus color) is that it's a bit too big, especially around the thigh. Even so, I love the look and feel of it (our first handknit soaker) -- it's almost too beautiful to use!
#3 of 57 Old 07-17-2004, 12:03 PM

BJMarketplace at Ebay makes soakers for 20 or less. Do you like covers? LittleLambs are less then 20 and Sugarpeas are around 20-22.
#4 of 57 Old 07-17-2004, 12:05 PM

Craftierbythestich selling on ebay soakers usually go for under $20, usually around $15. They are crocheted and sometimes handknit from wool merino yarn. I have one and love it. It is great for nighttime!

Carrie, mom to Johnathan (7-02), Brodie (2-04), Kate (12-06), Jordan (9-08), (4-09) & Maggie (3-10)
#5 of 57 Old 07-17-2004, 12:20 PM

there are a lot of great soaker makers on ebay if you know where to look. Just go and take a look around and you can come back here and post about the seller and I am sure we can give you reviews. There are 2 sellers on ebay that do wonderful work for dirt cheap!!
#6 of 57 Old 07-17-2004, 12:23 PM

hey ...
its craftierbythestitch (you are missing a t)
#7 of 57 Old 07-17-2004, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc1995
Craftierbythestich selling on ebay soakers usually go for under $20, usually around $15. They are crocheted and sometimes handknit from wool merino yarn. I have one and love it. It is great for nighttime!
Yes! ITA! I have one from her that I LOVE!!! It's so soft and pretty.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#8 of 57 Old 07-17-2004, 01:15 PM

I second the BJMarket Place soakers, I just got one and I love it. I is merino wool, very soft and super stretchy. She also does custom work for very cheap, I think $25 for a soaker plus shipping and the embelishments are free. Or you could win one on eBay for about $20, non custom.
#9 of 57 Old 07-17-2004, 01:57 PM

An Ecolovables wetter sweater is $18, made of 2 layers of jersey knit, does that count as a soaker? We use it at night & love it...
#10 of 57 Old 07-17-2004, 02:02 PM

I personally love the soakers from tinker6729 on ebay. I got 3 for $10 each w/free shipping w/Buy It Now. They are fabulous for overnight, fit both the boys (Yay!), and are so cute!
#11 of 57 Old 07-17-2004, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxcdingmomma
I personally love the soakers from tinker6729 on ebay. I got 3 for $10 each w/free shipping w/Buy It Now. They are fabulous for overnight, fit both the boys (Yay!), and are so cute!
yeah I have one of her soakers on loan and they fit a WIDE range and are still trim!!

But I hate to say anything about it, she smokes(or someone in her house does) and they always come smelling like smoke(or they did back a few months ago when my friends were into buying from her all the time and they had a kind of mean nickname that I wont share because I just wont, LOL)
#12 of 57 Old 07-17-2004, 04:25 PM

Not quite under $20 but Knitwitzbaby has really reasonable prices IMO.
#13 of 57 Old 07-17-2004, 04:57 PM

http://www.fernandfaerie.com/

I am waiting for her to stock a large pocket diaper but she has gorgeous soakers for a great price!!
#14 of 57 Old 07-18-2004, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEEPAE

But I hate to say anything about it, she smokes(or someone in her house does) and they always come smelling like smoke(or they did back a few months ago when my friends were into buying from her all the time and they had a kind of mean nickname that I wont share because I just wont, LOL)
Eewwww!! I hate when people sell smoky stuff. Yuck!

That said, I haven't gotten even the tiniest whiff of smoke from any of my 3 shipments. Hmmm... maybe that's why they're so cheap? Yay for me!

Come on - what was the name? I'm DYING to know!
#15 of 57 Old 07-18-2004, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxcdingmomma
Eewwww!! I hate when people sell smoky stuff. Yuck!

That said, I haven't gotten even the tiniest whiff of smoke from any of my 3 shipments. Hmmm... maybe that's why they're so cheap? Yay for me!

Come on - what was the name? I'm DYING to know!

I got one from her too and it smelled like smoke. I had to wash it 5 times hawaiian vanilla wow to get the smell out. (it came out) but I wish she was upfront about it. YUK! : It was a custom and it ended up being expensive. AND the legs were too big. I gave her his measurements. Hmmm... I better say something nice here. I feel bad. Hmmmmm..... It was very well knit and dyed a gorgeous color.
#16 of 57 Old 07-18-2004, 11:12 PM

edited because I heard it wrong and since everyone doesnt have time to read through all the posts they all have to correct me many times.
#17 of 57 Old 07-18-2004, 11:37 PM

I'm so sorry... but seeing hand knit wool soakers going for under $20 makes me really really sad. Did someone say $10?
#18 of 57 Old 07-18-2004, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelamama
I'm so sorry... but seeing hand knit wool soakers going for under $20 makes me really really sad. Did someone say $10?
is that because they are so hard to HAND knit and they are taking advantage of themselves by offering them so low?

I personally think $20 for a plain normal sized hand knit soaker is a good price, but I also know a lot of WAHMs that sell themselves short.
#19 of 57 Old 07-18-2004, 11:47 PM

It takes me several days -- maybe a week -- to knit an average sized soaker, between kids and home and other responsibilites. That's if I'm really focusing on it. I'm an average speed knitter. It's a big investment of time and creativity for under $20.
#20 of 57 Old 07-18-2004, 11:49 PM

Quote:
I totally agree. Even if the soaker maker uses inexpensive wool, a large size soaker would use at least $4-5 worth of yarn. Like everything else you make, you also need supplies like knitting needles and measuring tapes and tapestry needles and other misc stuff too boring to mention. Even if you don't count the cost of supplies, that means that the soaker maker is getting only $5-$6 for her labor. I know the fastest knitters can make a soaker in a few hours, but most probably spend substantially more than that.

It does make me feel very sad, too.

Karla
#21 of 57 Old 07-18-2004, 11:51 PM

welcome back, Karla
#22 of 57 Old 07-18-2004, 11:52 PM

maybe we should recommend some machine knitted mass produced ones instead. We are group ordering NZ soakers.

I believe some places you can get lana soakers and aristocrats for under 20?
#23 of 57 Old 07-18-2004, 11:54 PM

Quote:
It takes me several days -- maybe a week -- to knit an average sized soaker, between kids and home and other responsibilites. That's if I'm really focusing on it. I'm an average speed knitter. It's a big investment of time and creativity for under $20.
I cant even knit, LOL, I can kind of crochet but not in much of a pattern and it has taken me about 2 months to crochet a 12x26" blanket, and I still have lots of work to do, LOL
#24 of 57 Old 07-18-2004, 11:58 PM

Quote:
ITA. I hate to see a WAHM sell herself short in an effort to stay afloat.
#25 of 57 Old 07-18-2004, 11:59 PM

Quote:
yeah this always makes me sad too, but what can ya do, if the seller lists em for $10 starting and nobody bids??? It seems that there's kind of a soaker glut these days, bummer for those of us who bought new before the glut but I guess good for all those babies wrapped in nice cool wool this summer.
#26 of 57 Old 07-19-2004, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaccat
but what can ya do
... I'll get back to ya on that.
#27 of 57 Old 07-19-2004, 12:22 AM

You could always take Pam's class and learn to knit your own soakers
#28 of 57 Old 07-19-2004, 12:31 AM

Ok I am pms'ing right now but I have to say I am really saddened that some of you nicknamed a wahm "stinker". How petty is that?! I have never bought anything from this woman, and maybe she smoked or maybe someone else did, but to be so petty as to slap a nasty nickname is just really bad IMO. What if she came here and read this post? If it were me, my feelings would be hurt. I also knit and let me tell you that $10 is WAY below what a soaker is worth. I have three kids and it takes me a few days to finish one. Knitting takes a lot of patience and hard work and a lot of these mamas arent getting what they deserve for their work. Ok my little rant is over now.
#29 of 57 Old 07-19-2004, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisadeanne
Ok I am pms'ing right now but I have to say I am really saddened that some of you nicknamed a wahm "stinker". How petty is that?! I have never bought anything from this woman, and maybe she smoked or maybe someone else did, but to be so petty as to slap a nasty nickname is just really bad IMO. What if she came here and read this post? If it were me, my feelings would be hurt. I also knit and let me tell you that $10 is WAY below what a soaker is worth. I have three kids and it takes me a few days to finish one. Knitting takes a lot of patience and hard work and a lot of these mamas arent getting what they deserve for their work. Ok my little rant is over now.
LOL, well it wasnt me and it wasnt anyone from this board who gave her that nickname(or at least I hope not) there is actually a CDing board where it seems like people go there ONLY to bash WAHMs and eachother and it is all rather sad, but it would also piss me off to buy something and it come smelling like smoke, though I am not clever enough to think up a name like that, LMAO
#30 of 57 Old 07-19-2004, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEEPAE
though I am not clever enough to think up a name like that, LMAO
You're right it isn't very nice at all. But, I will say it's not brain surgery to extrapolate "stinker" from "Tinker" ... Still not nice. But you are probably *at least* that clever.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page