How much money you spend on cloth diapers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 101 Old 07-19-2004, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All right, here we go!
Few weeks ago there was a looooong thread about How much money you spend on food every week and it made me wonder how much money most of you spend on CD!
So many women here struggle every day to put food on the table, yet, SO MANY women seem to be shopping for CD every single day! I am simply amazed how much money you guys spend on cloth diapers! : Holly cow! Isnt' it suppose to be the whole point of CDing - to SAVE money? :

Come on ladies - it's time to confess! :LOL
#2 of 101 Old 07-19-2004, 10:23 PM

$215.00ish and hopefully that will take us through potty learning!(she's 14months)
#3 of 101 Old 07-19-2004, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2x
$215.00ish and hopefully that will take us through potty learning!(she's 14months)
All right, you are the exeption! :LOL

I think I spent something like that too, probably little more than that I'd guess.
#4 of 101 Old 07-19-2004, 10:36 PM

All right, All right! Here's the confession... I have only been full time cloth diapering for a month and a sweet, sweet mom here sold me some extras and leftovers. There! (but I will be stocked up for the next time around) Oh, and I was spending WAY more for the unbleached 7th generation disposables, so I AM saving money.
#5 of 101 Old 07-19-2004, 10:41 PM

$300 on some under the nile organics, hemp fitteds, wool soakers, & some AIO's--but, I'm set till she is toilet learned.

Tamera hearts.gifwife to Rod moon.gif Mama to Ty jammin.gif Nathan Peace.gif Hunter bikenew.gifMila energy.gifAndrew sleepytime.gif Kyle REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif& our last baby # 7 due June 2011 1sttri.gif We homeschool.gif  nocirc.gifcd.gif  h20homebirth.gif
#6 of 101 Old 07-19-2004, 11:26 PM

As of today, we have 3 dozen prefolds, 5 wraps, and 1 dozen AIO's for a total of $185. BUT, I had bought some used before, used them a couple of months, resold them for a profit...so in reality, I'm only down about $100. Not too shabby.
#7 of 101 Old 07-19-2004, 11:38 PM

If you posted this in diapering -- I bet you would hear some much higher numbers! I've probably spent $350ish -- but they aren't all diapers yet -- I have yards & yards of fabric! Other than some elastic, I should never have to spend any $$ again -- on any other children I may have! :LOL

Note I said I should never HAVE to... :LOL
#8 of 101 Old 07-19-2004, 11:41 PM

My prefolds that I have are from 3 kids ago. I have 14 I think that have lasted 3 kids.

But alas, I have become addicted to organic fitteds and AIO's.

And, I take very good care of the diapers so I am able to resell them.

Tamera hearts.gifwife to Rod moon.gif Mama to Ty jammin.gif Nathan Peace.gif Hunter bikenew.gifMila energy.gifAndrew sleepytime.gif Kyle REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif& our last baby # 7 due June 2011 1sttri.gif We homeschool.gif  nocirc.gifcd.gif  h20homebirth.gif
#9 of 101 Old 07-19-2004, 11:41 PM

about 50 chinese prefolds that came with...
10 nappi lightweight velcro covers and
2 wool wraps, plus...
about 20 hourglass shaped diapers, that seem to fit into...
four fuzzi-bunz AOIs and
8 other AOIs
most in brand-new condition!

oh, and three wool soaker covers i knit myself.

total spent? about $15 for the wool... my homeschooling community group came through in spades when i asked for cloth diaper help!

i know, i know... i am the luckiest gal ever!

katje
#10 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:10 AM

I think all you mommas left a few zeros out of your diaper count.... geeze you all make me feel guilty! I spent close to $200 before my DS was even born and I don't have any of that stuff left.... My guess would be around $700+ easy. Now I feel really bad, good thing my DH doesn't come to this board. :
#11 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:15 AM

I don't cloth diaper to save money. That said I still think I must have saved over sposies anyway.

If I were to use sposies I would still change often. I have not used a sposie in over 2 years but I cannot stand the smell of them and they way people use them as travel toilets - it makes me sick. Anyway, my point is that I would be spending money either way. I will not let myself feel guilty over diapers.
#12 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:15 AM

'Course you could add another $150ish for the snap press, but that was a present for me...
#13 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've spent $160 for my stash, almost all of it used off the Trading Post.

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#14 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:17 AM

When we first started cloth diapering, I spent I think $90 on some HH & stuffins. Then I waited until we got our income tax check, and I used a few hundred of that (maybe $400?) to buy cloth. All the $$ I spend now, I get from selling the diapers we already have, so it's just like I'm rotating them. We make very little money total (under $20K a year, we live simply), so I just buy and sell the diapers trying new things, seeing what works. In no way am I just buying all brand new dipes left and right, we just don't have the money for that. Oh, and my MIL has given us money for $$ before too (Braden wanted diapers for Easter, what was I supposed to do,lol...)

ETA...I don't diaper the cheapest possible way. But I don't buy a lot of toys or any new clothes at all for Braden, since he has everything from Tyler (the spoiled, first grandchild of my in-laws,lol). So he does get some cute diapers.

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#15 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:19 AM

I've spent about $400 maybe. That's for 6 bb AIO's with 12 snap in soakers, 24 infant cpf's, 8 premium pf and 8 regular pfs (need more of these soon), 6 fitteds, a bummis sww, 5 bumkins wraps, a sp wool cover, a stacinator, and 2 wool soakers.

Almost all of that was used (1 new soaker and the infant pfs were new).

I have PLENTY other than needing bigger pfs, but I will sell the infants and get more regulars and premiums. Thank G-D I love pfs, we only need a few AIO's for dh. I do love wool though :
#16 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:20 AM

YOO HOO!!!!! HELLO!!!

Where are you my friends??

The ones with the stash worth 4 figures???

:

I know I am keeping my YAP SHUT!

Wouldn't want to be accused of being an OVERLY CONSUMTIVE mama! :LOL
#17 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:22 AM

$300(well it was 299.72 so i rounded up, LOL)
#18 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC121799
When we first started cloth diapering, I spent I think $90 on some HH & stuffins. Then I waited until we got our income tax check, and I used a few hundred of that (maybe $400?) to buy cloth. All the $$ I spend now, I get from selling the diapers we already have, so it's just like I'm rotating them. We make very little money total (under $20K a year, we live simply), so I just buy and sell the diapers trying new things, seeing what works. In no way am I just buying all brand new dipes left and right, we just don't have the money for that. Oh, and my MIL has given us money for $$ before too (Braden wanted diapers for Easter, what was I supposed to do,lol...)

ETA...I don't diaper the cheapest possible way. But I don't buy a lot of toys or any new clothes at all for Braden, since he has everything from Tyler (the spoiled, first grandchild of my in-laws,lol). So he does get some cute diapers.
Yup! The huge investments came from tax returns and most everything else is bought with paypal I make selling other stuff. I have used the checking account a few times, but repay it when I have extra paypal (sometimes ).

ETA: We don't use cloth to save money - we use it because it is better for our dds' bums.
#19 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:24 AM

I dont want to add it up.

Sure it's more than sposies *but* I save on EVERYTHING else for our family w/ NFL pratices. From breastmilk to no 'poo - I think it is a wash.

Someone once said that CDing doesn't have to be totally utilitarian (is that the correct word?). How many shoes do most ppl own? Are they all the same?

I don't get why people are so worried about how much others spend on dipes. Some people buy Lattes every morning or lots of CDs. I don't care to spend my money on either but I don't really care that they do.

Plus, I hate to sound like a broken record but without the mamas that spend lots of $$ on dipes, we would not have raised the THOUSANDS of $$ for Samuel and Levi and Aid for Orphans.
#20 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:26 AM

I've probably spent about $600 total. But most comes from selling things on Ebay and hardly any goes on the CC, only when I have to. I don't CD to save money either, its a hobby for me. I'm sure when it's all said and done I will have spent at least $1000 by the time they are potty trained.
#21 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:27 AM

Quote:
YOO HOO!!!!! HELLO!!!
Right here Mama...really I dont add it up!

4 digis sounds about right

I am not ashamed to admit it. I am HAPPY that I help WAHMs.
#22 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radish
I dont want to add it up.

Sure it's more than sposies *but* I save on EVERYTHING else for our family w/ NFL pratices. From breastmilk to no 'poo - I think it is a wash.

Someone once said that CDing doesn't have to be totally utilitarian (is that the correct word?). How many shoes do most ppl own? Are they all the same?

I don't get why people are so worried about how much others spend on dipes. Some people buy Lattes every morning or lots of CDs. I don't care to spend my money on either but I don't really care that they do.

Plus, I hate to sound like a broken record but without the mamas that spend lots of $$ on dipes, we would not have raised the THOUSANDS of $$ for Samuel and Levi and Aid for Orphans.

I'm glad you bring up the charity part! It is a great reminder of the generosity of the cd'ing mamas. And I love the latte analogy!
#23 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:33 AM

I dont do it to save money, i had never planned on saving money at all, it just happened that way. plus I saved on more than just diapers. The way DS's butt looked we would have spent a LOT of time at the doctors(my sisters baby's butt looks the same and she goes to the doc about once a week and she is 2 months old. They have done this since she was born and get meds for her butt) we would be buying lots of different creams and probably buying even more sposies to make sure we changed him every 30-45 minutes so he never sat in one long. This is what my sister has to do and I wish she would wake up but she wont, she is so dumb sometimes about the common sense stuff.
#24 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:36 AM

When I started CDing (25 months ago, when dd was born), I stuck to the prefold packages. For the first 23 months or so, my "stash" consisted of 36 infant prefolds, 24 premium prefolds, 6 infant prorap covers, 4 medium bummi sww, and 2 toddler Stacinators. So around $200 for 2 years... not bad. But then I found fitteds. And wool. And AIOs. So now, I'm building a toddler stash, which I needed anyway, and a newborn stash for the new babe. I have no idea how much I've spent on this... probably close to $400 so far. But I really don't feel gulity. It makes me happy, dd happy, and we have a bit of extra money right now. Plus, I don't intend to have so much that I can avoid washing dipes for two weeks!

Btw, I don't CD to save money. Did at first, but now its more for the babes and the environment. In fact, using sposies would be/ was free for us. My parents offered to buy all the disposible diapers and wipes for us! So, for us, that would be the way to save money!

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

#25 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:37 AM

I haven't kept track but I'm sure it's a few hundred dollars. I cd for environmental reasons and to take care of my ds in a way in which I am comfortable. Just like I choose to buy organic fruits ands veggies for our family. Just like I gave up a very good job to be a sahm - it's not about the money - it's about our quality of life. Luckily DH has a good job that he enjoys, we live within our means and don't go overboard on a lot of other things that are important to other people.
#26 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:38 AM

Holli, I'd like to see your stash pictures. I could PM you my email address,lol. No judging from me, we all have things we like to spend $$ on. We don't have cable, I'm not into purses, clothes or shoes, or makeup. I buy diapers (and homeschool stuff!). I'd love to see the beautiful stash you've put together for your little one.

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#27 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:40 AM

I don't spend anything really compared to others, on other diapers, since I make Simone's, but over the past couple of years, I have probably spent about 150.00 to 'treat' ourselves to other wahm dipes.
#28 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:43 AM

Quote:
I'm glad you bring up the charity part! It is a great reminder of the generosity of the cd'ing mamas. And I love the latte analogy!
Awww, thanks for quoting my post - makes me feel
#29 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:46 AM

Ask us hyenas what we are waiting on, what we got in the mail, or what we got at the last big stocking & we are like !!!

Now ask us what we spend..............and you get this :ignore
#30 of 101 Old 07-20-2004, 01:46 AM

I'M NOT TELLING! No way would I ever add it all up... I might feel guilty and have to sell something lol.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page