Dr. says DREFT??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 07-25-2004, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So our almost daily trip to the hospital (today because a rash poped up on my poor baby's legs and bum) and the doctor was pleased to see that Hunter had on a PF. He talked as if he was knowledgeable about cloth and I explained to him how after a while he will get detergent burns and I have to strip all the diapers. He asked what I was using, I said Tide Free... he said it is way too harsh for his skin (he obviously has VERY sensitive skin) and suggested I use Dreft or Ivory?? I thought that was a HUGE no-no!?

So what should I do? I'm stripping all of the diapers at the moment and was going to then dry, sun and wash again in baking soda and TTO only.

Should I get some Bio-kleen? What detergent should I have on hand that is super mild??

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 07-25-2004, 07:43 PM

No you don't want to use either Dreft or Ivory. They are both "soaps" and not detergents. They are MUCH harder to rinse out.

Arm & Hammer is pretty gentle. So is ALL. Tide is way too harsh for us to use in this house, I only have a bottle for washing that 'funky stuff' that gets left in the garage... i.e car towels and stuff like that. We'll sometimes use it on DH's military gear but I have to rewash it to get rid of some of the chemicals because they can leave a "signature" with nightvision.

Anyway, I've used All Free & Clear (I heard you aren't suppose to but I've never had a problem with in for over 3 years).

You might want to try the BS & TTO method. Just make sure that Hunter doesn't have any reaction to the TTO. Some children are sensitive to it too.

ETA: Sorry to hear the Hunter is still having skin reactions.
#3 of 30 Old 07-25-2004, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Samantha, I remember seeing that Dreft and Ivory were bad but it's kind of one of those thing.. what Dr says is best? KWIM? anyways...

H seems to have no problem with TTO but I doubt I will add 10 drops like mentioned to me yesterday.
#4 of 30 Old 07-25-2004, 07:57 PM

Poor little guy!

My ds has pretty sensitive skin too. Tide Free left a horrific burn. Arm&Hammer made ds's eczema much worse. Bi-O-Kleen has been great! Oh, we ran out of Bi-O-Kleen and I have to order it so I bought some Dreft while I was waiting for it to ship. Ds did well with the Dreft and I didn't have a hard time rinsing it out. I use Calgon with every wash though because we have HARD water. I used the box up and my diapers were fine.

Good luck!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#5 of 30 Old 07-25-2004, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

We have hard water too...

Where can I get Bi-O-Kleen?
#6 of 30 Old 07-25-2004, 08:06 PM

it seems like on all of the boards, dreft is a no-no cause it is a "soap" and not a detergent. not too long ago, i read on diaperpin that dreft was actually a detergent and safe for cloth. they include a response letter from the company. here's a link
http://www.diaperpin.com/dreftletter.asp
i personally, have no idea, but thought i'd pass along the info.
#7 of 30 Old 07-25-2004, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaB
We have hard water too...

Where can I get Bi-O-Kleen?
http://fuzbaby.com/biokleen.htm

I know there are other places, just can't think of them.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#8 of 30 Old 07-25-2004, 08:23 PM

The age old rumor that Dreft is a soap is untrue. It contains no fabric softener and no soap. It's a synthetic detergent, low in enzymes, and made to rinse away better than other detergents, so that it will not cause allergic reactions or leave harmful residues on sleepwear.
Most detergents low in enzymes compromise some cleaning ability, however, so if your results are not as good as far as smell and stains go, this may be the trade-off.
It does contain perfume, but this is not what most babies get burns from. The enzymes are the biggest no no, and Tide Free has lots of enzymes. Same with Cheer. Rinse well, regardless of what detergent you choose, cuz you never know what may cause a reaction on sensitive skin. Choosing a detergent that rinses clean and is low in enzymes will help reduce the possible factors, though.
#9 of 30 Old 07-25-2004, 08:46 PM

kermit always has the best detergent advice!

i used dreft for a long time (seriously sensitive skin here) and it was totally fine.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#10 of 30 Old 07-25-2004, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

I always used dreft on Hunter's clothing until he was about 18 months and never had a rash on his body. I have some in the house so I'll give it a try.
#11 of 30 Old 07-25-2004, 10:29 PM

I like Dreft, and wish I could afford it, cuz its sooooo expensive!! They have a Purex Version of Dreft....wonder if it's the same thing? hmmmm....

Mommy to five wonderful earthlings, and one on the way supporter Humble Wife and Mother Learning to live through Jesus!
#12 of 30 Old 07-25-2004, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

I'm trying it now...

I have stripped them (washing a million times in hot water) and now I am washing with Dreft. Should I do a few rinses and add BS after that?? I am basically starting all over with the diapers and washing.
#13 of 30 Old 07-25-2004, 10:54 PM

I have used all baby care on my dipes for awhile now and have had NO issues with them. I just strip them every 3 or 4 months and we seem good to go ...
#14 of 30 Old 07-25-2004, 11:42 PM

http://www.greenpeoplestore.com/laundryliquid1.html
http://www.goodhumans.com/Shopping/B...ghsvc=overture
http://www.ecoviva.com/html/natural_...OVMTC=standard

These sites have the Bio Kleen products pretty cheap too.

I became very interested becuz Nev gets occasional detergent irritation so I just did a search on Yahoo........
#15 of 30 Old 07-25-2004, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaB
I'm trying it now...

I have stripped them (washing a million times in hot water) and now I am washing with Dreft. Should I do a few rinses and add BS after that?? I am basically starting all over with the diapers and washing.
Christina, I would start with the basic wash and then add things if that is not working. If it works then fine, you save a step on all your other washes. I hope this is the answer for your little Hunter.

We used bio-kleen liquid for a long time with my ds who had excema and it seemed to do the trick. I have bought from Fuzbaby (if I have ordered something else) and
www.juliesstuff.com
is a good source too.

Mama to 13, and 10 and 4.
#16 of 30 Old 07-25-2004, 11:55 PM

We get our Bi O Kleen from the health food store. I have been to 3 different ones in the area and they all carry it. Good luck finding something that works for your lil' one!
#17 of 30 Old 07-25-2004, 11:59 PM

If you have a whole foods in your area they carry it.

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
#18 of 30 Old 07-26-2004, 02:27 AM

My DD is really sensative too. We used All Baby Care (same as Dreft) for a long time w/ no problems. When we started using ME OS I had to use a stronger detergent because of the poly in the dipes. Welll low and behold DD has a detergent burn again And as a result I am going to get rid of every last ME OS so we can go back to using All Baby again. I feel so awful. I was up late last nite stripping dipes too. DDs skin is red, burned and pealing.
#19 of 30 Old 07-26-2004, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Your poor baby.. sounds like my son And the last thing he needs right now is an added issue... I have been stripping diapers for the past two days. He has to sleep in a sposie tonight because they are all either drying or washing
#20 of 30 Old 07-26-2004, 04:08 AM

I hope the dreft works, poor baby! s

For some reason free and clear detergents bug some kids more than regular detergent. It took me forever to figure out why my dd's eczema was clearing up but not totally going away after eliminating certain things. Then I ran out of all free and clear and just washed some of her clothing with regular detergent for about a week until I went shopping again. Her eczema cleared up again until I went back to the free and clear, so that was at least part of the problem!
#21 of 30 Old 07-26-2004, 07:40 AM

Once again Dreft is a detergent not a soap, Ivory is aslo a detergent at one time there was an ivory snow flakes avaiable and yes that was a soap. My DD also gets horrid rashes if I use most common detergents. I only use Dreft or my favorite SunandEarth. And incidently if I use the other detergents my fleece repells , yet is instantly fixed with these two detergents. So go figure.
You will be fine using dreft and I suggest you try, My DD went from blistering bleeding constant rashes to perfectly clear skin. I also use a little vinager in a prerinse then wash hot with a litle of SunandEarth or dreft. No rashes, no assorbancy problems, no repellimg.

Deanna
#22 of 30 Old 07-26-2004, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilesoflaundry
I hope the dreft works, poor baby! s

For some reason free and clear detergents bug some kids more than regular detergent. It took me forever to figure out why my dd's eczema was clearing up but not totally going away after eliminating certain things. Then I ran out of all free and clear and just washed some of her clothing with regular detergent for about a week until I went shopping again. Her eczema cleared up again until I went back to the free and clear, so that was at least part of the problem!
Problem is most free and clear are not really free of dyes and perfumes, detergents have an order to them its part of there nature so these detergents often have masking frangrances, same with color, the ingredients have a natural color to them so when the detergent is truly clear there is someting chemically added to do this. I'd look for a more natural detergent. (or stick with the regualer if it works LOL)
Deanna
#23 of 30 Old 07-26-2004, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioqueen
Once again Dreft is a detergent not a soap, Ivory is aslo a detergent at one time there was an ivory snow flakes avaiable and yes that was a soap. My DD also gets horrid rashes if I use most common detergents. I only use Dreft or my favorite SunandEarth. And incidently if I use the other detergents my fleece repells , yet is instantly fixed with these two detergents. So go figure.
You will be fine using dreft and I suggest you try, My DD went from blistering bleeding constant rashes to perfectly clear skin. I also use a little vinager in a prerinse then wash hot with a litle of SunandEarth or dreft. No rashes, no assorbancy problems, no repellimg.

Deanna
Ahhh that was nice to hear Thanks
#24 of 30 Old 07-26-2004, 04:47 PM

So is Dreft safe for diapers? What is the difference between All-Baby, All F&C, and Dreft? I used Costco brand detergent on diapers from the beginning with DS and he never had a problem. I did use Dreft on all his clothes, though. What do you think? Thanks!!!!
#25 of 30 Old 07-26-2004, 05:04 PM

Yeah, Dreft isn't going to harm your diapers in any way. It works very well, and is my choice for diaper-washing, when I can afford it. It took care of my ammonia-smelling dipes very nicely, when I had that problem before.
#26 of 30 Old 07-26-2004, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i wash everything in dreft, and i wash alex's diapers in dreft and it doesnt do anything to them at all

Kami(31)DH(35)Alex(11),(4/05) (7/05),Ryker(8)(11/10) 
Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant
#27 of 30 Old 07-26-2004, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabugx3
I like Dreft, and wish I could afford it, cuz its sooooo expensive!!
Buy some. It will last ALOT longer than you think. I use about a tablespoon in a medium size load of diapers (when I do use it, that is...I've taken a fondness to the baking soda and TTO method lately). If you put the full recommended amount in a load, you'll end up with detergent overload and stinky diapers.
#28 of 30 Old 07-26-2004, 05:43 PM

Sensi clean I understand is pretty darn mild it has no scent or fragrance at all to it . and alot of people from what I understand use it to strip diapers
#29 of 30 Old 07-26-2004, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binxsmom
it seems like on all of the boards, dreft is a no-no cause it is a "soap" and not a detergent. not too long ago, i read on diaperpin that dreft was actually a detergent and safe for cloth. they include a response letter from the company. here's a link
http://www.diaperpin.com/dreftletter.asp
i personally, have no idea, but thought i'd pass along the info.
I was thinking of this very article at diaperpin! I use to use Dreft and had no problems, but I kept ready that I shouldn't use it so I switched to Tide Free. We did have a few rashes then. Now I've switched again to All Free and clear. I think it's my favorite!
#30 of 30 Old 07-26-2004, 06:44 PM

We decided on the Purex Baby....smells and acts alot like the Dreft imo Plus it was cheaper...and yeah...you should only use a small amount of this stuff

Mommy to five wonderful earthlings, and one on the way supporter Humble Wife and Mother Learning to live through Jesus!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page