Mothering Forum banner

CD Mamas - Introduce yourself!!!

4K views 132 replies 124 participants last post by  missmel 
#1 ·
I am Regina.
We live in Sacramento CA. I am 26 years old, married to Todd (35y/o). Today is our 3 year anniversary. Zoe is 15 mo old. We have CDd since birth (partially at first while I found a system).

We're a pretty crunchy family and I love learning about more crunchy ways from MDC mamas

I CD for health, environmental, ethical, spiritual (??) reasons. Oh! I'm also a Hyena

Here is my stash:
http://www.reginagirl.com/zoe_cd.htm

See less See more
#52 ·
Hi! I'm Julie (34) and have been married to my sweetheart Wade (34 today - happy b-day honey!) for 11 1/2 years. We met at Harding University in Arkansas, went on to earn grad. degrees at Abilene Christian University in Abilene, TX, then to Austin for several years, where I worked as a counselor. There we had our first little bundle, Ellis Ann (now 6!) and then Ivy (almost 3). Two and a half years ago we moved to Henderson, TN, where my husband now works for Freed Hardeman University as a theological librarian. We've added little Owen (11 months) to our family. I've been a stay at home mom full-time for 4 years now and love it, although it wears me out! We've cloth diapered all of our children, but didn't start with our first til she was 8 months old. We try to live healthfully and mindfully of the blessings and goodness God has given. We are slowly going toward very little meat in our diets....etc. We will start homeschooling Ellie this fall using Sonlight literature based curriculum - should be an adventure. You all are so encouraging. It's great to see such a variety of Mamas here. Have a wonderful day everyone.

#53 ·
My name is Marie (22), I live in east Canada, and am mommy to 6 month-old Liam .
Right now I'm a dedicated SAHM, but I have one year of university completed and cannot wait until Liam is independent enough for me to go back. I went there with plans of majoring in psychology, but now I'm strongly drooling over the idea of doing a double major to add my new passion: forensics. No one ever told me how interesting anthropology is!
I consider myself the crunichiest person I know IRL. I cloth-diaper, breastfeed (I have now decided to delay solids for as long as I possibly can!), co-sleep, babywear, and will be making my own baby food when the time comes. I am also proud to say that my son's "equipment" is fully intact!
I was completely addicted to cloth diapering before my DS was even born, but have gone over the edge since I found MDC. I was warned!

#54 ·
I'm Holly, 28, married almost 6 years to my awesome DH. I'm a SAHM-in-waiting
Emilia "Emi" Marie is due sometime mid-September. We live in VT. We're pretty crunchy. Seem to get more so each day. Especially as we do more research & see how everyday things we always took for granted can effect Emi.

I decided to cd a long time before we got pregnant. At first it was to save $$. I'd watch my friends buy boxes of sposies & be like, "Yeah, right...I'm NOT adding "x" amount of dollars to our monthly budget for something I *throw away*". Now I want to cd for a bunch of reasons, especially health & enviromental ones. It's definitly my nesting thing.
Have to admit we're not saving as much $$ as I thought.
Then again, you can't resell sposies and I firmly believe you can't put a price on the health/enviro benefits you get from using any type of cloth.

Holly

#55 ·
I'm Amy, mom to Max (5) and Stella (almost 8 months) and we live in Texas. My dh is Ronnie, he's a financial analyst. We also have 2 Great Danes named Polly and Nixon. I'm an apprentice midwife and WAHM. We're not what I would call crunchy but we're 100% AP. Homebirthing, babywearing, co-sleeping, cding, natural household, ebfing, cding... all that good stuff.

In my previous life I was a filmmaker but now I'm nearly done with my midwifery training. I'm a knitter and a sewer, too.

#56 ·
I am Jen in Fresno, CA. Ben is 7, Becca 4 & katie 2.5. DH is Thomas. I CDed Ben part time with Gerbers crappy prefolds. Becca was CD 3/4 time. Katie full time. I love wool! I love web design & working on computers. DH works Costco & UPS, about 70 hours a week. Still nursing Katie after relactating at 16 months with 2-3 months off.

#57 ·
Hey mamas! I'm Becki, I am 29 years old, and have been married to my high school sweetheart
, Greg for 10 years. We live in Fishers, Indiana with our three wonderful kids- DS 9, DS 6 and my little princess Ainsley who is almost 7mos old! We started cding when Ains was 2 months old, and haven't used a sposie since!
This is a fun thread- it's nice to get to know you all better! Becki

#58 ·
I'm Kathleen (26) married to dh Dan (30). We have always wanted to CD our new son, Shef (4 months). We started with a service, but that wasn't green or cheap enough for me, so I bought two dozen UBCPFs and a few Bummis covers; and away we went!

Now, of course, I'm branching out and trying fitteds. My favorite diapering supplies so far are my fleece covers from Calico Baby and my lone SOS.

Right now I'm a SAHM and grad student. Before baby, I was a school teacher (English, although I don't like to admit it because I know I make all kinds of usage mistakes in my posts!) and will be again someday. Dh is an attorney.

I bf, and I love it; but otherwise, I guess I'm not too crunchy -- I do try to do the best I can for my babe and respond to all his needs in a timely fashion.

#59 ·
Hi! I am Trisha (27). I have been married to DH Andrew (28) for 7 years. I stay home full time with my 3 kids. Caleb is 6, Jeremiah 4 and Grace is 21 months. I started using cloth shortly after Grace was born when Jeremiah and Grace were both in dipes. I consider myself mostly AP and semi-crunchy.

We have been the gamet with every kind of diaper available and spent lots of money...now I have sold most of my stash and am mainly using prefolds. I just love em

#60 ·
Hi! My name is Katy. I am 25 and a SAHM to three boys and wife to my wonderful husband James who works for UPS Logistics Group.My boys are- Cameron-5, Gabe-3 , and Chrsitian who is 9 months. I started using cloth diapers when my youngest was 5 weeks old after doing some research on the benefits. We haven't used sposies since!
I consider myself pretty crunchy. However where I live isn't very crunchy (oh you should see the stares when I BF in public
)

Fun thread it is cool to get to learn more about everyone!

#61 ·
Hi! I'm Leah (27), mum to Gabriel (20 months). I work from home so I can be nearby to take care of my kiddo and my dh who has a degenerative neurological condition.

I studied Philosophy at UGA and did some graduate work in Swansea, Wales. Before his illness, dh (who also studies Philosophy) and I traveled a great deal - we even worked on an organic olive farm in Italy.... oh I miss it sometimes

If you want labels, I guess I would have to go with crunchy catholic

I feel so very lucky to be able to spend sooo much time with the 2 great guys in my life

oh and we have cd from birth and love it, obviously!

#62 ·
Wow, this thread is long! I will have to read it all later when the kids are sleeping! :LOL
Umm, I am Lisa, I'm 23 and I've been married for 2.5 years to Jonathan who is 22 (cradle robber, I know!). We have a DS, Tyler, who will be 4 in Sept. Tyler was CDed from 15 months. And Julia who will be 19 mos in 2 days, has been CDed since we brought her home from the hospital.
I am semi-crunchy (Regina is my crunchy hero
). Maybe kind of chewy?

#63 ·
I've read most of this thread - but it will probably be even longer by the time I finish typing this out.

I am Lea (pronounced simply Lee), 27. Married for just over 3 wonderful years to Brad, 24. Mom to Boo, who is almost 2, and soon-to-be mom to Bug, due in a few short weeks.

I am a SAHM, partly out of desire to be with my child as he grows up, and partly out of medical necessity which negates us using child-care for him.

We use cloth, mainly for financial reasons - hubby's meager wage wouldn't pay for disposables, but also because I feel they are healthier for Boo and better for the environment.

#64 ·
What a great thread

I'm Kami wife to Dh Dustin, and SAHM to Alexandria (8-11-03) Omg my baby is almost 1yr old time has gone by so fast
. we started cd'ing for $$ reasons but now i just love it, i am still trying to build a good stash of diapers
I live in Long Beach,CA

#65 ·
I'm Mary (30) married to dh for 12 years. We live in Louisiana but are both from and were born in Texas. We have 4 girls and 3 boys and another boy on the way
I've been ap since the beginning. I read Dr. Sears during my first preg. and have been co-sleeping, breastfeeding and slinging since my first but only started cd'ing since Jack was born.

I've been going to school part time, since Andrew was a baby, to get a nursing degree. I took off this summer and am not looking forward to going back this time. I'm 23 weeks and feeling really tired. I'm planning a homebirth this time so I'm excited about that

#66 ·
Hi! I'm Judy (just turned 25), wife to Mike (a few days till he's 26). We live in Wyoming, just over two hours from Yellowstone National Park.

Currently we have two girls, Madeline (3-14-02) and Katherine Clare (3-3-04). I cannot WAIT to have more children! I'm open to as many as we're blessed with. I didn't start out crunchy at all. But, as time goes by I get crunchier by the moment. I'm probably the crunchiest conservative around, but love it! Most of the crunchiness simply comes from wanting to save $$, then of course it just makes sense!

So, I guess for a label, I'd probably be semi-crunchy (and getting more so every day) Catholic!

#67 ·
Oh yeah.. currently I do work fulltime (dds go to MILs in-home daycare three days a week) as the sports editor for the local newspaper. The job is actually pretty great because it's quite flexible, so if I need to be home at different times of the day I can do it!

But my dream is to stay at home AT LEAST by the time the next little one comes around!

#68 ·
My name is Tami (28). I've been married to DH Wayne (40 in Sept!
: ) for almost four years. We live in neverland (which happens to be in SoCal, who knew?!
) I'm a part-time WAHM and CD'ing mama to Savannah (10/01/03). I knew before Sav was born that we'd cd, but it took a few weeks to get started, now I'm an addict. I know there is a 12 step program out there somewhere, but I hope I never find it!

I'm waiting until Savannah turns two before I get pg again. DH doesn't know this though. He's under the impression that we're done...
: Although, he does hint that he wants another. I'm sure when the time comes he'll be on board (don't worry, I won't get pg without his consent.
)

We've got two monsters that we call dogs. Sav loves them, even when she's covered in dog hair from head to toe.

I'm pretty crunchy, and DH is crunchy because of me. If he had it his way, he'd be eating Hot Pockets and drinking Dr. Pepper everyday... My only non-crunchy vice is Diet Coke. I know, I KNOW. Someday I'll give it up...

Okay, enough
from me.

#69 ·
Hi! I'm Azadeh. I've been married to my husband, Glen, for almost 10 years and we have two cute boys. I'm a homeschooling, work at home mom. We are in the D.C. area right now but moving to the Chicago area in a few weeks!

I started cloth diapering because it looked so much cuter and more comfortable for my baby. I'm not sure if it's cheaper since I bought so many! LOL No, I think it still is...

OH yeah, and I'm 32. My husband is 39 and my boys are almost 2 & 5 1/2.

I love it here at MDC!

Azadeh

#71 ·
Hi! My name is Christy (29) and I am married to Tom (30) and we have been married for 6 years. We have 3 children: Maddie (5), Sara (21 months) and Jack (7 months)
We have been cloth diapering since Sara was 2 months old and haven't looked back. Jack has been cloth diapered since birth (even in the hospital) and that is when I really got addicted.
I used to not be crunchy and then I started crunching up and then I found MDC and now I am actually thinking about homeschooling and a home birth next time!

#72 ·
Hey Mama's!!

I'm Jes ... WAHMama to Sahara Rayne who's almost 2 1/2. I live on Beautiful Vancouver Island off the west coast of Canada with my amazing DD and partner Dan. We are currently TTC #2 (so I'm on a diaper buying hiatus so I won't jinx myslef). But I'm ogling the NB diapers so WATCH OUT hyena's cause the minute I conceive I'm going on a rampage
(as if I could afford it LOL).

I started cd'ing the day Sahara was born but the diapers I had just didn't work so she really wasn't a cloth diapered baby until she was 3 months old when I bought my first stash of premium sized prefolds and Bumpy covers (loved the covers ...but the prefolds were HUGE) ... so I bought myself a sewing machine at the local thrift store and havn't looked back.

I have a degree in Fine arts , 3 years towards a psychology degree, the first year of a Masters in Art Therapy and one year towards Computer science (which ended only because I became a mama ...but I can still build a killer website LOL). I guess you could say that I was hiding in school because I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life. All along I wanted to be self employed and make things ...but I just didn't know what ... fortunately the universe had better plans for me than I did and here I am working from home in the company of the most important person in the world ... my baby.

I'm loving getting to know you all better!

ETA: In some places I would be considered VERY crunchy ...but around here I'm only 'sorta crunchy' ... too many hippys LOL (though dh calls me a hippy too)

OH! and I'm turning 30 this November ...which is sort of a big deal for me ... I expected to be at quite the different place in my life by now.

#73 ·
I am Marina, 23 y.o. mama to Chris and another on the way, and wife to Paul for 2 years on Aug. 3
. We live in Upland (Southern) California.

Ds #1 is out of diapers now, but ds #2 will be cd'd from birth. I have a pretty big stash for him being that he isn't due til October, but I don't have the $ to do it all at once so I have been collecting.

I cd for environmental, health, financial, and family (mom cd'd 4 kids) reasons...and cause I love it!

#74 ·
: I'm Paige and I'm the oldest one here!!!

I'm 41 and have been with dh Mahlon (56!) for 6 years, married for 8 mos! I'm a family practice doctor and work part-time (big big loans to pay off), dh is a paramedic instructor. We live in a tiny mountain village in northern New Mexico, although both of us are blue eyed gringos.

We started cd'ing for environmental reasons and now it's my hobby and stress-reliever! We've cd'd ds on and off and dd now since she was 5 weeks old. I had such a horrible complicated pregnancy with her and she was in the NICU for a month that even thinking about cd's earlier was impossible. With ds, all I knew about was prefolds, but with dd I have tons of cute girly print dipes and AIOs. Our faves are FMBGs and SOS, and I'm just recently getting into wool soakers!

Not sure how I'd label us - kind of crunchy, kind of chewy - like an organic oatmeal cookie with Ghirardelli chocolate chips!

#75 ·
hiya all. I'm Michelle, very happily married to Craig for 3.5years. We started CDing Samuel when he was just over 3 months' old, so we've been CDing for 3 months. Main reason is to save money, that we can re-use them for our future babies, and the notion that I can cope with cloth (!). It's so easy though to get caught up in the fun of it that sometimes I think CDs are my latest fashion items (replacing all the new clothes I used to get for myself when I had earning power).

#76 ·
I am Traci (34) married FOREVER
to Don (40) and we have 4 soon to be 5 children!
We live In Northern Illinois where I am a SAHM (former County Deputy) and dh is a Police Road Sergeant.
I have been having a blast buying my stash and sewing my own diapers for this new up~coming little one!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.