Diapering Mamma's...Do the Daddy's have any..... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thing they obsess about on the same level as us and our diapers? Things they visit a message board for?

My husband goes to a website called Timezone for watch collectors and collects watches....wait...I said that wrong...
He collecet's "timepieces" LOL. I would have been given 30 lashes with a wet noodle. LOL.

Anyhow just curious!
#2 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 10:04 AM

Mine switches, but we have a rabbitry and we raise/breed rabbits so he will visit those message boards daily, but lately his obsession is geneology, he got into researching our family history when he was laid off a little over a month ago, and now even though he is back to work he still spends HOURS every night on the computer working more. It is okay though, harmless and doesn't cost as much money as the rabbits or the diapers for that matter
#3 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 10:07 AM

hmmm.. not really. There are things DH would LIKE to collect, but I think mostly he likes going to websites about things that remind him if his youth
He used to promote bands and work a lot with the local music industry and I think he misses that kind of social life sometimes...but he loves to play poker online LOL!
#4 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 10:08 AM

My husband visits a message board for his diessel trucks. Loves his dodge ram turbo diessel that is his baby.

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
#5 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 10:08 AM

My DH is obsessed with football and playstation football. I can't dog him for it, he spends as much time playing it as I do knitting or buying diapers. It's just that he's 26 (almost 27) and still loves it all so much . He plays with his friends, wants to get the online hookup for the playstation so he can play them in games and stuff. And he will sit down with a sports illustrated and read it cover to cover for an hour. He looks up stats online and will browse team websites for hours too. I guess there could be worse things, right? He just likes to get on my case about a lot of things (he's that kind of DH :LOL) so diapers are no exception... but god forbid I should nag him about his habits!
#6 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 10:10 AM

My husband is starting to obsess over his boat and learning to fish. I thought it would drive me nuts, but it doesn't. He spends his days off in the garage working on his boat w/ our son. It really is a nice break that he has something to occupy his time. When he is in the house, he is online looking at boat and fishing stuff...
#7 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 10:10 AM

My dh is building a submarine and he belongs to a group where they talk about building subs etc. He is obsessed. He has been building this thing for several years now and it is very slowing growing into a sub. :LOL
#8 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingMama
My dh is building a submarine
uhh... anyone else find that pretty cool?
#9 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 10:26 AM

No!

My DH is not allowed to have a hobby!
There is not enough money to support two habbits:LOL

Since I an obsessed with kids clothes & diapers, I claimed dibs on the compulsive internet surfing/shopping. Poor Joe is out of luck

He does enjoy fishing but he is not big into the computer.
#10 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingMama
My dh is building a submarine
Hmm, my DH is on a submarine. Maybe they would like to trade for a few days?

I'm not "officially" a diapering mama yet, but I've got my stash all ready to go for this little one. DH's hobby is aquariums, he spends a lot of time messing with ours and reading the forums. Yesterday he set up a second aquarium to the tune of several hundred dollars. Ouch. As of now, he can't say squat about my dipes!!

FTR, never keep male and female guppies together unless you want to breed them. We had one female given to us when we bought the males ("here, take her, we're not sure she is going to make it"). She is now the matriarch of the grand guppy clan and the females will shortly be moving into their own tank.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#11 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 10:50 AM

My husband is really into a program called Lightwave, where he creates and makes movies with computer generated images **yawn** At least it keeps him from spending LOL
#12 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 10:59 AM

my dh grills, no wait he BARBEQUES -- you know slow cooking the meat for hours and hours
#13 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 11:28 AM

My dh is a photography nut
...and let me tell you, his purchases completely dwarf any diapering purchases, so he can't complain too much
#14 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 11:32 AM

I'm sure that fantasy football will soon be taking up large amounts of DH's time. In the meantime - he obsesses over the stock market & golf.
#15 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 11:42 AM

Cute thread...

My dh goes on the internet forums for biking and Body for Life weight loss stuff these days. He also spends lots of time "windows" shopping for computer parts and techno stuff.

Hey, mine was on a submarine too! I'd never heard of a build-your-own-submarine... that's cool! DH also dreams of one day building his own small airplane.
#16 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 11:43 AM

geneology here...I get so sick of hearing about it :LOL

Shelly- www.hyenacart.com/tyedyedreams 12 years and going strong Bleed free prefolds, flats and clothes
#17 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 11:55 AM

My DH is on a message board for his car (a BMW M3, no we can't *really* afford it but there it sits in our garage anyway, lol) and for sports. He spends way more money on his hobbies then I could ever hope to spend on dipes and we both know it. I give up trying to stop him though.
#18 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 12:00 PM

My DH is obsessed with turkeys, yes I said turkeys. He hunts them (though he is not very good! I think the turkeys secretly laugh at him) , collects them, reads about them. And last but not least he walks around the house gobbling and making turkey sounds. I used to complain but since he doesn't complain about my diapers, I leave him alone about his turkeys! :LOL
#19 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 12:11 PM

dh has two. he loves playing video games, so we have a TON of ps2 games and he plays all the time. he's also obsessed with motorcycles. we belong to a group of "bikers" called the utmc and there is a site dedicated to the group and he spends a great deal of time on the message board. he'd love to collect motorcycles, but there's no way we could afford for him to-- if we could, i think i'd own some fancier diapers!
#20 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 12:11 PM

Well, let's see...there's dirtbikes (we now have TWO in our garage, for one person to ride!), deer hunting, and high school and college football. I may hog the computer, but he monopolizes the tv, so that all we ever watch is hunting shows. I never realized there are so many out there (I think I've seen them all, too!)
#21 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 12:12 PM

My DH is obsessed with the whole home theater thing. He frequents a forum called "The Spot" They all sit around and talk high end audio/video equiptment and what their WAF (wife acceptance factor) is. I'm usually pretty tollerable to the stuff he gets, but some of these guys bring home subwoofers the size of a love seat! Some even have 2! He's also pretty into scuba diving and mountain bike riding, but not as much as he used to be. What ever makes him happy and he doesn't pick on me about my dipes so it's all good
#22 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 12:17 PM

My husband is obsessed about volkswagan camperized vans. You know Westies. He likes to buy them- only one at a time allowed! Baby them, fix them up, take them on road trips, and yes he takes the older kids when he goes on his weekend voyages too. Then like us some of use with diapers, he finds one out there that interests him more, thinks maybe is better etc. Then buys a different one, and sells the one off he already owns. He gets very attached to them too. It is so funny! Like us with diapers. He searches VW websites all the time, Ebay for them etc. He belongs to several online Westy clubs. I can't get into his head that with #4 coming, they're really not that practical for our large family, he still loves them anyway.

Oh well, he still can't convince me that buying yet another diaper or twelve isn't exactly practical either. Oh well, at least we never bug each other about small splurges and understand how fulfulling each others hobbies can be. We both understand that these hobbies really help us to feel fulfilled at the stages we are at now in our lives.

Rachelle
momma to 4 wonderful blessings. #5 due Feb 14, 2010:
#23 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 12:27 PM

My dh obsesses over an online game he plays. If he is not playing he reads the forums. He'll stay up until 2-3 am during the week and while I don't get it, I can't talk much since I am crazy for diapers. :LOL
#24 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 12:33 PM

Mine has a TV obsession and TV relateted stuff - receivers, remotes, etc. He buys EVERY new receiver that comes out.
I can't stand it!! The TV is always on when he's home whether he's watching it or not. He has a little black and white TV in his shed, and I think one in his work van.
#25 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 12:37 PM

Dh has his own online computer store--he sells parts and builds systems. That's where most of his free time goes after school, work, and family. He's always hunting around for the best deals on parts--and finding them! He often passes on discount codes to me for online stores I frequent.

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
#26 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 12:50 PM

My DH is obsessed with Bob Dylan-- not so much with the man, but with his music. He reads at least one website a day that covers Bob's activities, and he likes to analyze his daily setlist in anticipation of what he might play at the next concert we attend (and we do see him anytime he comes within a 200 mile radium, and we must schedule our lives around this concert date). He owns every recording legitimately made by Dylan, and he has downloaded 100's of concerts off the web that he and Noah listen to every evening before bed. We have every lousy movie Dylan has ever been in, as well as every book written by or about him. Should Bob be playing on television-- g-d help the person who tries to disturb him from watching.

I find it a cute hobby-- I like Bob's music too, it's neat that he and Noah have something special to do together as a ritual, and it doesn't cost a lot of money.

We do have some couple hobbies that involve collecting-- antique linens, mother of pearl silverware, and depression glass (yes, we like old crap). DH got way more into the linens thing than I did, and I had to cut him off ebay before he bought an insane number of things, way more than we could ever use.

Karla
#27 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 12:59 PM

My DH has a couple obsessions! The PS2 (and the Atari, Sega Genesis, Sega Dreamcast, the N64, and the original Nintendo....) Yeah, we have a few too many gaming systems and games IMO.

His other obsessions are his car, he frequents 2 online Grand Prix forums for souping up his car and seeing how fast it will go.

And his jeep. He is on 2 boards regarding those too, including one just for NE IN, and he meets with some of those guys regularly, helping them fix their jeeps.
#28 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetapestry
My DH is obsessed with Bob Dylan-- not so much with the man, but with his music. He reads at least one website a day that covers Bob's activities, and he likes to analyze his daily setlist in anticipation of what he might play at the next concert we attend (and we do see him anytime he comes within a 200 mile radium, and we must schedule our lives around this concert date). He owns every recording legitimately made by Dylan, and he has downloaded 100's of concerts off the web that he and Noah listen to every evening before bed. We have every lousy movie Dylan has ever been in, as well as every book written by or about him. Should Bob be playing on television-- g-d help the person who tries to disturb him from watching.
OMG! Karla - Are we married to the same man? How funny, my DH is BOB obsessed too. We should hook them up!
Do you guys happen to have a video from the Hard Rain tour (filmed in Colorado I guess). DH was at the concert and is dying for the video but I can't find it.

Aside from BOB, my DH is way into football but just watches, doesn't do internet stuff related to it. Golf too. On the internet he just loves to e-mail people and to check out a bunch of online newspapers from places he used to live. ?

XOXO
#29 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 01:33 PM

I love this thread! I love hearing what the men are into.

My hubby, he loves gaming - online computer games. Right now it is City of Heroes (and when the next Tribes is out, it will be that, he tells me). His love of gaming inspiried him to start our company which is now at the point where *he* doesn't actually have to do anything for it, so he gets to game allllll day long as a promotional tool. Paid to game? Not bad if ya like it!

It is funny how things change - we met because we both had the same twin turbo sports car. We had a total of four seats between two cars. :LOL And look at us now...I drive a minivan! :
#30 of 58 Old 08-09-2004, 01:37 PM

Um, yes!

Jason is on surfline.com whenever he's home and thinks about it, which is a lot - since all he thinks about is surfing.

It's not a hobby, it's a way of life. :LOL

There's the websites, the phone calls from other surfers asking his advice, the magazines, the surfboards EVERYWHERE - oh, and of course, the sand that migrates home in the truck and seems to creep in...

Because of his undying devotion to the sport, he has pretty much become an amateur meteorologist, as well, as he learns to define weather patterns and their overall effect and directional pull on upcoming surf spots.

His surfing crowd calls him the Oracle (the Oracle of Delphi) because they call up at anytime and he knows where it will be good, and why, and what kind and size of waves are on the way. It's cute, but annoying, too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page