Question for wool-cover users... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-18-2004, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking about purchasing a pattern for crocheting wool diaper covers. I understand the lanolizing process, but I don't know how to wash them... can I throw them in the machine? I'm guessing I can't toss them in the dryer, but since they wouldn't be knit... I just don't know.

I don't want to buy the pattern unless I know I'm actually going to use the covers. Any help/tips would be GREATLY appreciated!

TIA,
Daphne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-18-2004, 03:08 AM
Ok

Actually, I wash and lanolize at the same time. And its all by hand.

When I make my lanolin heavy woolwash, its basically heat water, add lanolin, add baby shampoo (helps keep the lanolin from globbing too)... and then I cool the mix back down a little bit. Add to a warm basin or sink... add cover.

The only thing tht would change is if the cover got poop on it, then I would probably use a little baby shampoo directly on the site, and then move to the above home-made woolwash step.

good luck.
#3 of 4 Old 08-18-2004, 02:07 PM

I wash mine by hand, but it's even easier than washing with a machine IMO...

I add some wool wash (I use eucalen) to a sink full of warmish water, swish to mix, add the wool, squish it around a bit and leave them to soak for 15 minutes. Then I gebtly squeeze out the excess water, roll in a towel to saok up more and dry under my ceiling fan. I try to wash my wool at night just before bed and in the morning my thinner stuff is dry

I've only had to lanolize new stuff so far.... also very simple: I get the tap water as hot as it gets and put a little in the sink with a blob of lansinoh and a drop of a natural baby wash, swish and then follow the above instructions, except I usually leave them to soak for 30 minutes...
#4 of 4 Old 08-19-2004, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks very much! DH and I agree, that doesn't sound like very much work at all. That's pretty much what we do w/her covers anyway (washing them in the sink, I mean), seeing as how she has so few of them (we would run out before wash day).

I ordered the pattern and wool yarn... can't wait to make up a wool soaker of my very very own! (well, not really for me, LOL)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page